lense alignment

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Muffo

lense alignment

Post by Muffo »

Hi. I have heard of a tool that clips onto your shooting lense that alows you to make sure it is parrell to your eye. does anyone know anything about these
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Knobloch supply a lens centring device. Essential.
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

intopic:

Does the centering device made by knobloch work for frames made by other manufacturers?

MEC doesn't seem to make centering devices for their product line. hmm
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just borrow one; you only need it once.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

All of the centreing devices I have seen clip on to the lens holder.

You will need to find which manufacturer has the same outside diameter of the lens holder as your MECs.
Barney

Post by Barney »

You could just get someone to help you line it up
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

I just used my 32mm Champion centering device to align my lens to my eye. It made a difference in the clarity of the sight picture.
visitor

Post by visitor »

Hi. I have heard of a tool that clips onto your shooting lense that alows you to make sure it is parrell to your eye. does anyone know anything about these
This seems to refer to aligning the plane of the lens to the plane of the eye's lens. All the replies seem to address aligning the eye with the optical center of the lens - not the same thing.

The best device to make sure the lens and the eye are parallel is a friend standing next to you.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

kind of creepy but a coach had me unload, and put a flag in the breach, then had me aim at him! I am right handed and left eye dominant, as I line up with a natural point of aim, my chin tucks in next to my shoulder and my iris is adjusted accordingly. would this take the place of a centering device?
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

coach had me unload, and told me to aim at him as well!!! =P it was kinda scary even though i knew the gun would not fire. hmm, interesting experience.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

visitor wrote:
This seems to refer to aligning the plane of the lens to the plane of the eye's lens. All the replies seem to address aligning the eye with the optical center of the lens - not the same thing.

The best device to make sure the lens and the eye are parallel is a friend standing next to you.
I agree it can be one with someone else just observing and making the adjustments, but the centering device can also do it. What you are looking for with the centering device is a round aperture if it's oblong in any direction that means you are out in one of the planes.
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

are they available for rifle lenses as thats wat i use. I need one as some times in bad ligh i find if i push the lense away or bring it a bi closer it helps me get better focus on the front sight. I would be forever getting my coach to fix it
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

muffo as guest wrote:are they available for rifle lenses as thats wat i use. I need one as some times in bad ligh i find if i push the lense away or bring it a bi closer it helps me get better focus on the front sight. I would be forever getting my coach to fix it
Knobloch Justiervorrichtung (centreing device) is available in 23 or 37mm (http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/allframes.html)

Given that is MUCH easier to get a prescription lens for the 37mm holder (particularly if your needed script requires a lot of 'correction'), why use the 23mm holder for pistol? The 37mm dia offers a lot more protection to your eye.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

To 'visitor'...

The alignment devices ensure that the optical centre of the lens is aligned with that of the eye, which is what is required. It achieves that by requiring you to adjust the lens until you can see down the narrow central 'tunnel'. It is very sensitive - much more so than what you suggest.

The Knobloch type has three springy plastic legs which hook over the lens frame, the frame locating in shallow grooves on the inner surface of the legs: therefore they will work with all slim frames of the given diameters.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Hi Kiwi the problem as I see it with a rifle is to get the Lense so that you are using the optical centre of the lense and also getting the lense square to the Peep, am I correct?
Or should the Lense be square to the eye, it must be a lot easier for Pistol shooters?

Martin.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Martin Catley wrote:Hi Kiwi the problem as I see it with a rifle is to get the Lense so that you are using the optical centre of the lense and also getting the lense square to the Peep, am I correct?
Or should the Lense be square to the eye, it must be a lot easier for Pistol shooters?
The lens should be square to the line of sight for both rifle and pistol.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Hi Martin,

Yes, all elements in the system should be aligned.

On aim, the sights will be aligned with your eye's functioning optical centre, whether rifle or pistol. The correcting lens should be placed so that one looks through its centre. The centring device is effectively a narrow tube, projecting forwards from the lens, at right angles to the plane of the lens. The lens is then swivelled about until you see the sights through the tube. The plane of the lens will then be parallel to the plane of the sight aperture / iris.

It's difficult to get lenses in a good position for rifle shooting because of the awkward head position. Frames such a MEC allow more lens holder adjustments than Knobloch.

In other threads I have advocated contact lenses. There are a few, largely theoretical objections, and they won't suit all people, but are so much easier to live with that I would strongly urge anyone who is thinking about getting shooting spectacles to give them a go.
Martin Catley

Lense position

Post by Martin Catley »

Thanks all for the comments and hope Muffo doesn't mind us taking his thread a little further.

Yes with a Rifle it is harder to set up with the Head position rarely being "straight on" to the Rear Peep even with the use of Riser Blocks and adjustable Cheek Pieces especially for Prone.

Personally I do not think Contacts would be an option for me as it would mean having to put them in and take out at the Shooting Range as I couldn't drive with the correction I need to shoot, ie.about+2.25 which would make me a disaster on the road!

Martin
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

Just throwing my 2 cents out here.

I'm not a regular contact lens user, so when I did try wearing them to shoot it felt kinda awkward. There's a feeling that something is in your eye all the time. It's ok, not hard to get used to it. However, my major gripe with contact lenses, I'm guessing, is that they were designed for use looking straight on. When I'm aiming almost through the corner of my eye, contact lenses feel weird. Maybe it's because my eyes are too small.

In any case, since contacts are way cheaper than shooting frames, it'd make sense to try contact lenses anyway before you plunge for the frames. Many people feel comfortable with lenses.

good luck with whatever you end up using
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

...perhaps I'm lucky with contacts. The soft, one-day ones I find extremely comfortable. I'm too lazy to use them for everyday use, finding it easier to whip different pairs of spectacles on and off (and losing the ones I really want! The joys of advanced years...). However, I find it no problem to put one in for shooting, at the range. Takes moments. Don't let this worry put you off.