Proper fit of Rink grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Proper fit of Rink grip

Post by Guest »

I received an LRB0 (large) grip for an AW93 pistol today. This is how the grip fits me on the middle finger:

I somehow believe that this grip would fit my hand better if the middle finger was positioned like this:

What do you guys think about this? Should I have asked for an extra thick grip?

Eventually, this is how the tang of this grip fits the back of my hand:

I can elevate the palm shelf to reduce that free space. Should I do it?
RB6

Post by RB6 »

If you must extend your fingers so much as in photo 1 in order to achive full contact with the grip, then it's too small. In figure 2 your fingers are correctly positioned but if your palm doesn't have full contact with the grip , again the grip is too small.

You may be right about the thicker grip fitting in these regards. With the thicker grip, the rear of the grip will push your hand farther to the rear giving a closer fit to the back of your hand.

LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Mail the pics to Mr Rink, he can give you an advice.

Post by Guest »

Mail the pics to Mr Rink
I've already done that. Thank you. I guess he'll answer my message on Monday.

It's just that this is the second grip he's got to send me and I'm starting to feel bad about sending grips back to him. Also it's about 20 USD to ship each grip back.

I sent numerous pictures and sketches to Mr. Rink to the point he insisted on me not sending any more of them--I was filling up his mailbox. We started with an XL grip which was too big in the back of the hand so then he replaced it with this L grip which now fits better to the back of my hand yet the fit is not perfect. I guess an M grip would be too small for me, but who knows. The only thing I know for sure is that my fingers need to be better positioned--for which I guess I need an extra thick grip.

The feel, finish, and quality of Rink grips seems much superior than that of the factory FWB L grip that came with my AW93.
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

I took my original grip and filed, filled and sanded it till it was near what I wanted then added Blue Tac to areas to make the grip just right for me - then I sent it to Rink and he made a copy from the old grip mold and mailed my new grip and my old grip back to me within a week. It fits perfect.

Post by Guest »

Here's a bunch of pictures that I also sent to Mr. Rink:

This is the LRB0 (large) grip for an AW93 pistol. I also had the XL grip before this but it was too large on the back of the hand--my hand needed about 5mm to reach the tang with the palm shelf fully elevated. Now, I'm waiting for Mr. Rink to tell me whether I'd need an L grip with the "extra thick" option.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Anonymous wrote: Image
Based on the three pictures above, I would think that a "Thick Large" would be better for you. I am curious to know what will be the choice of Mr Rink ?

Post by Guest »

Thank you for giving me your opinion, JIPE! :-)

I also believe that a thick grip would suit me better, but I have no such grip to give it a try. It's also true that the "thick" option moves the entire hand 5mm backwards which may be too much for my hand--I don't know.

Here's what Thomas Rink told me today by e-mail:
For a standard grip it looks good.

I think this grip is the best choose für you.

The thick version will be to thick for you.

If you want to have a better fitting, you must come to our workroom for a custom grip.
I guess he knows his grips better than I do. But I'm also afraid that he can spend little time with each individual request given the amount of work he does-- I cannot affirm this point.

Given that this is the grip I'll have to stick with, what do you guys advice me to do with it? What areas do you think need to be fitted to my hand? How should I do it? I can post as many pictures as necessary, just tell me what you need to give me proper advice.

The overall quality of this grip is great. I love the way to adjust the palm rest. The fit to the pistol is perfect. The only thing is that this "L" grip needs to be modified to get fully supported on my middle finger. I'd also not buy again a 180EUR standard grip that doesn't fit my hand as I could have modified the factory grip for a significantly smaller cost.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for writing RB6!

I don't know what to think. Maybe Mr. Rink is right. I don't know. I'm aware that shipping grips back and forth costs money but that's the only way to make sure a grip fits nicely in the user's hand.

Right now, I'd not buy a standard replacement grip again.

Post by Guest »

I don't know what happened... I was replying to a post published by RB6 but his post just disappeared.

Post by Guest »

Here's a sketch of my hand like the many ones I sent to Mr. Rink:

Would that be an "L" or and "L thick" grip? Mr. Rink he first sent me an XL grip but that was too large on the back of the hand so he replaced it with the L grip that you've all seen in the many pictures on this thread.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

I was probably being overly critical of rinks customer service or lack of it.
Your posting is about the fit of the grip that was sent to you and the problems associated with fitting of the grip, not rinks service, so i deleted it. Back to your grip and the many good photos, it's clear to me that you require a thick grip to correctly position your gripping fingers and your trigger finger. Your grip is a standard size and a thick grip would fit much better based on my observations of the photos. You have what appears a long hand and that is why rink offers a thick grip , for guys like yourself . Rinks service is another issue
jipe

Post by jipe »

From the picture you posted and seeing how the finger come on the left side of the grip, it seems that it could be thicker but not a lot thicker. I guess that Mr Rink is right when he says that 5mm more would be too much.

But one information is missing: how far is your finger coming with respect to the trigger blade ? To have the right finger position on the trigger blade, how must the trigger blade be adjusted:
- if it is more at the rear, then a thick grip probably won't fit because with this thick grip, it should be even more moved to the rear.
- if it is more at the front, then may be a thick grip is better
On most pistols (I do not know the AEW93 very well as I like pistols with a raked grip) having the trigger blade moved either to the extreme rear or to the extreme front is not good and should be avoided.

You should post a picture with the grip mounted on the pistol and your finger on the trigger blade adjusted to the good postion.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Last edited by RB6 on Fri May 07, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

The original grip fit was too small, you then got an XL grip that was too big. Then you got an L that is still too small (excessive finger wrap). Ok, now you have 2 grips that are unsuitable . Not good, send the Large back to Rink and get the Large thick. You can always remove a small amount of wood if necessary . On the flip side , if you add grip mud to the Rink that you have now, you might as well add mud to the original. What is the point of owning 2 grips that don't work. Should you get the Large thick and decide that it is unsuitable and must rework it for fit and that fails , then you are against the wall. But it may be ok, pay Rink extra for freight and take the chance. It's only a little money, cheaper than an airline ticket and hotel for a custom fitting

I'm kinda sticking around suggesting all the options so that you will get some kind of satisfaction with the Rink grip. I proposed to buy a Rink as well, but if you are unable to come to terms with Mr Rink to resolve the issues , I suspect that i may well have similar issues , there are other grip makers

Post by Guest »

You should post a picture with the grip mounted on the pistol and your finger on the trigger blade adjusted to the good postion.
Thank you, JIPE. I'll take and post those pictures next Sunday/Monday.
I suspect that i may well have similar issues
Thank you, RB6. The quality of the Rink grip is great, but I suspect that Mr. Rink is a rather busy guy so he cannot allow much time for each individual request. If you know the exact grip that you need for your hand then order it from him without hesitation. On the other hand, if you don't really know what grip you need then look elsewhere. Right now, I'd not buy another standard Rink grip, but I may think otherwise in the future.

I'll start working on the Rink grip I have starting next week--Im too busy with other things this week. I'll keep you guys updated!

Post by Guest »

I just "calculated" that I'd need to add about 2 to 3 mm to the thickness --in the barrel axis-- to get a properly suitable grip. So I guess Mr. Rink was right in saying that a "Thick L" grip would be too thick for me.

Also, I asked Thomas about what areas does he think I need to modify in order to get a good grip and his answer is:
i think under the ball of the thumb and under the roots of the fingers you can add some putty.
I'm a bit unsure of the areas I should modify. Could someone among you guys show me a picture with those areas outlined?
jipe

Post by jipe »

I put my hand in your drawing and my hand is sligthly thinner with sligthly shorter fingers (the difference is small, seems like 2mm) and I use a large, thick Rink grip on my Steyr LP10, Morini CM22M RF and Hammerli 160 special.

All these pistols have a more raked grip than the AW93 and have the possibility to adjust the trigger blade position which is sligthly to the rea.

You seem actually to be between normal and thick, but unless, you would have a problem with the trigger blade position, I think that a thick large grip would be usable for you. Did you put the XL grip on your pistol, how was the trigger blade placed with respect to your finger, was it OK or too far to the front ?

I also prefer to remove material from a sligthly too big grip than add putty to a too small grip.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

I'm a bit unsure of the areas I should modify. Could someone among you guys show me a picture with those areas outlined?

Sounds like if you had a thick grip , you wouldn't have to add anything .....

First he says it's ok , then he says to add mud in an area that is obscure, He sounds confused . I would send it back and get a refund or get the real deal that will work.

The purpose of the exercise of an anatomical grip that fits is there are no options/choices where to place your fingers and where the grip will live in your hand. When you place the pistol in your hand , it is the same everytime, sound familiar . Same way to grip, same way to do everything to place your shot. With an ill fitting anatomical or slabs , there are lots of choices on how you grip, resulting in inconsistance gripping of the pistol everytime you shoot. No surprise if shots go down the same road. Dump the grip and get something that fits.

Skeptik

Post by Skeptik »

Hi, you are trying to get an off the shelf, albeit greatly tailorable grip to fit you like a custom-made grip. You might be lucky and get one of the many options available from Rink that does - but you probably will not. If you are looking for the perfect fit go pay the money and get a grip maker to make you a grip. otherwise you are going to have to accept some compromise.