1913VS2013

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WesternGrizzly

1913VS2013

Post by WesternGrizzly »

What is the difference between the 1913 action and the 2013 action? pros and cons of each action
matt
ZD

Post by ZD »

The 1913 is a round action, and the 2013 is a square action. Both have the same 54 action and the same trigger. However, the 2013's barrel is screwed into the square housing, allowing the removal and changing of a barrel (someone can probably offer a better explanation). The 1913's barrel is attached via pins. In essence, the barrel of a 1913 is only removal with a knockout pin and a hammer (explanation I was given from a gunsmith). The gunsmith I spoke with, who works with Anschutz Rifles; said the problem with removing a barrel is placing it back in. He said he would have to thread the barrel end, and attach it to the reciever. This is problamatic because it is almost impossilbe to line up the sight groove again. In essence, if the barrel on a 19 series screwed up, it would be problamatic. However, to my knowledge the chances are slim. There is also about a 500 dollar difference between the 19 series and 20 series. Personally, I own a 1907 (the same action, smaller barrel than the 1913) and I have no problems with it. Also, the 20 series is heavier, but the difference is neglinable. Any input from other sources would be appreciated.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

This tends to get confusing to me.

Best thing to do is get the catalog & look at the specs
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1

the 1913 is a 1907 action & a 690mm hvy tgt bbl.
the 2013 is the 2007 action and the 690 hvy tgt bbl

Choice of stocks are there for each ... pages 25 & 26 will help with comparisons

My shooters (mostly ladies) shoot the 1912 & 1913's with the lighter 1907 action
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

A quick summary of some of the differences and pros/cons:

The 1900 series actions are round, while the 2000 series are more rectangular in shape.

The 1900 actions have barrels that are pressed into the action, while the 2000 series uses a system of three (3) cap screws that clamp a straight shanked barrel into position. To change barrels on a 1900 is best done by a gunsmith, while on the 2000 series it can be done in under 10 minutes with a drop in barrel from any number of manufacturers.

The 1900 series has 2 action screws and is somewhat easier to glass bed. The 2000 series has 4 action screws and is more difficult, but far from impossible, to glass bed properly.

The 2000 series action is more rigid and is heavier. The mounting dovetails cut into the top of the action are longer, as the forward portion of the action where the barrel engages is significantly longer.

Both have the same excellent trigger - can't go wrong there. The bolt / firing pin assembly is for all practical purposes identical also.

As for taking a barrel off of a 1900 series..if you are taking a barrel off, why mess around with putting the same thing back on. Replace it with a custom barrel and don't look back.

There are a host of different barrel lengths and weights for both actions, so if weight is a concern, go with the short model and add an extension tube to make up the sight radius.

With regards to stocks...you can put a 1900 series action into a 2000 series stock with an adapter, but you cannot do the reverse.

Hope this helps.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

A question for 1813benny.
Do you think that glass bedding a 1913(wood stock) will offer an advantage?
Thank you!
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/an ... arrels.htm
This link may help with the 2013 Colin
mobarron

1913vs2013

Post by mobarron »

The advantage of the 2013 is that the owner can switch barrels so he/she can have a couple of barrels and have a barrel options in testing ammo. Also, some shooters tune the barrel by adjusting the tension on the barrel clamping bolts. The disadvantage is that the 4-bolt 2013 actions are reputed to be harder bed.

The advantage of the 1913 is that it is easier to bed.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

tsokasn wrote:A question for 1813benny.
Thank you!
To be honest, I have shot competitively in prone and 3 position for almost 30 years and I have seen unbedded rifles shoot as well as bedded. It depends on the rifle and how consistently it shoots.

If there is a doubt, bed the rifle - but keep in mind that it might not actually improve the performance over the factory method.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Ok so does one action shoot better than the other action?
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

WesternGrizzly wrote:Ok so does one action shoot better than the other action?
No.
Eric U

Yes

Post by Eric U »

In my opinion, the 19 series action shoots a little better than the 20. There are notable exceptions (like Emmons), but in general the 19 series actions seem to shoot better/more consistently. The 20 series actions were supposed to replace the 19, but now almost 20 years later I believe the 19 series actually sells more than the 20. This wouldn't be the case if the 20 series were actually better.

Eric U
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

To be honest, i think the reason the 19 series sells better is that it is less expensive and that 90% of the shooters can't tell a difference between the two

Post by Guest »

I'm not talking about club level shooters choosing to buy a 19 series rifle for whatever reason they choose to. I'm talking about national and world level shooters choosing the 19 series over the 20 series.

Eric U
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

tsokasn wrote:A question for 1813benny.
Thank you!
My answer: absolutely. Please see my video at the URL below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjbizXsk08
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

Ok thanks guys. my coach wants me to get a 2013 but if the 1913 action shoots the same then there is no point is there? get to save 500 bucks.
talladega

Post by talladega »

WesternGrizzly wrote:Ok thanks guys. my coach wants me to get a 2013 but if the 1913 action shoots the same then there is no point is there? get to save 500 bucks.

Except as mentioned by others you can very easily replace the barrel on a 2013.

Lilja sells drop in barrels for the 2013 action for just $365.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/an ... arrels.htm

Personally I'd look towards the future and go with the 2013.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Anonymous wrote:I'm not talking about club level shooters choosing to buy a 19 series rifle for whatever reason they choose to. I'm talking about national and world level shooters choosing the 19 series over the 20 series.

Eric U
The Chinese seem to use their 20 series Anschutz's to good effect, can't remember seeing one of them using a 19 series. Colin
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

I guess nobody wants my opinion on 19 vs 20 without putting up an argument. So...check China's results in PRONE, where accuracy matters most. While you are noticing the absence of Chinese shooters in prone finals you will also probably notice that there are more non-Anschutz in the World Cup prone finals (Bleiker, Walther, other) than there are Anschutz.

If you really just want to change barrels easily, get the 20 series. If you want the Anschutz action with the most accuracy potential, get a 19 series. This is just my opinion based on 30+ years of shooting experience and observation.

Eric U
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

Eric - Plenty of people listen to what you say and a few will write to argue regardless of what anyone has to say. I like my 1913 and don't plan on losing it.

I was hoping you would return to the Regional at RiverBend in a few weeks to defend your victory from last year, but it's the same weekend as selection matches at Benning. I was hoping to get another shot at you, so to speak.
Dennis L
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Dennis,

Thanks for the note. I try to get up to River Bend as often as I can, but my schedule is pretty packed right now. Fall will probably be the next time I can get up there.

Eric