What's the best Spotting scope for the money?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

What's the best Spotting scope for the money?

Post by tenring »

I found this and sounded too good to be true.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Thanks for any input you may have.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Sounds good to me, especially if he is sending the scope to you first! I have seen the scope and it is very nice, for short and long range shooting... heck of a deal!
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I have both a KONUS and a Kowa. The kowa has a wider field of view. but the konus is on par with the kowa. I would recommend it.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Is is easy to see through with shooting glasses on. My cheapie is nearly blacked out. I really have to get my eyeball on the glass.

Thanks,
gasmann

spotting scope

Post by gasmann »

I have that exact scope. I use it mainly for shooting High Power at 200 and 300 yards. I can see .223 holes at 200 if the light is right--300 is more iffy. I also use it for indoor Smallbore in winter at 50'--nice clear view. A friend of mine has a Kowa scope--his is more clear--but at 5x the price. My Konus has held up well for three years now. I would strongly recommend the Konus to anyonewithout reservation. Check price at opticsplanet.com
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

They have not made them in many years but you can still often find them on Ebay: the Bushnell Spacemaster 45 degree 60mm scope with a fixed 25x eyepiece. I have used one for over 40 years for both smallbore and highpower rifle and 10m airgun. I really think that fixed power scopes have superior clarity to adjustables. I am kind of a spotting scope accumulator, having about 50 in many makes and models.

Post by Guest »

Started using a Celectron Regal 65mm F-ED spotting scope for the last several months. At our last 100yd rimfire benchrest match we compared the view through a Kowa 821 and my Celestron and 5 of 5 shooters agreed that the Celestron has a brighter picture and was easier to use to pick up the bullet holes. Celestron currently has a $399.99 direct sales offer with their zoom eye-piece. I also shoot an AR in service rifle and have no problem picking up .223 bullet holes at both 200 & 300yd. ED glass is about as good as it gets. An ED glass Kowa is well over $1K, so I'm quite please. Of the five folks who looked through the 821 and the F-ED, two have ordered the F-ED and two are saving. Check it out on the Celestron website.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

I have the Celestron 80 with an angled eyepiece and everyone who has looked through my scope has been amazed. It is still priced about $177 from OpticsPlanet. I can see .17 cal. holes in the black at 100 yds
I'm very happy with it.