Toz 35 Modifications

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulo

Post by paulo »

j-team wrote:
Anonymous wrote: I would use a Steyr AP rearsight, they're far superior to the Morini one. The Steyr sight has width and depth adjustable notch and knurled windage and elevation knobs.
Thank you for the suggestion
paulo

Looking for a fix for the flyers

Post by paulo »

Just like on the first image of this post, I am trying to balance the TOZ with an under barrel front extension.

I am also going to try to move back the rear sights, so at this time I left the center of gravity 1/3 on an inch forward of the trigger, but when all is done and I ad some weight to the back of the gun, where is the correct location for the center of gravity on a gun?
Attachments
Toz Modification
Toz Modification
Last edited by paulo on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

This was all non scientific from a hand held stand resting on a sand bag at 50 yards.
????????
paulo

Center of gravity of a gun

Post by paulo »

Please see the picture above for reference. Thanks.
I am looking for the correct location of the center of gravity on a gun?

I am also interested to know if high velocity ammo is a no no for this gun.
I tried just a few rounds of different types of high velocity on my TOZ and the results were very positive, so I am wondering if I should or not use this cheaper ammo on a regular basis.
Muffo as guest

Post by Muffo as guest »

Anonymous wrote:Anonymous wrote:
paulo wrote:
...www.gartlandprecisionllc.com

"Custom TOZ Free Pistols
Match Barrels Installed
............. "

I wasn't aware that the barrel on a TOZ-35 is not already a "match barrel". Gartland is just another pimp shop selling chrome hubcaps.

Lets see if you have a Toz that will compare with one built by Gartland. The top 4 or 5 guys in the US are using a Gartland built Toz.
well I think that you yould be hard pushed to shoot better than my toz with original factory barrel. with the compensator fitted and federal 711b's it shoot just slightly bigger than 1 hole groups.
L

Post by L »

The problem with high velocity ammo is the recoil. The more recoil you have, the harder it is to shoot consistently...at least in my opinion. A few years ago, Federal marketed Gold Medal match 22 ammo and some of it shot pretty good. However, the velocity of it was about 100 fps faster than Tenex or R50, and you could feel it. Not many of the FP shooters used it and I think it was because of the added recoil.

As for the center of balance...it is where it is, depending on how your TOZ is weighted. Is there an ideal center of balance? I doubt there is anymore than there is an ideal shoe size. The important thing is to adjust the balance to make the pistol feel the way you want it to. Some shooters like a forward weighted pistol. I used to shoot mine with lead solder wound around the barrel from the forend to the front sight because I liked that balance. If the rod you have gets long enough, your pistol may feel like a tuning fork when it goes off. I knew a guy who put a aluminum rod in the end of his Ham 150, and it vibrated when fired. However, his rod was longer than the flat piece you are using.

Good luck with customizing your TOZ.
paulo

Post by paulo »

I plan to cut the aluminum front extension, after I do the rear sights extension (similar to a Morini 162 short rear sights) that is why I was inquiring if there is a proper center of gravity to "shoot" for.
The rear extension idea is to bring the rear sights to an area above the wrist or close by that point, since that is the last moving point going forward, if you consider that a grip should be static.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

The rear extension idea is to bring the rear sights to an area above the wrist or close by that point, since that is the last moving point going forward, if you consider that a grip should be static.
I understand the first part of your statement , what is your point with the second part . What is the point of the complete statement

passer by

Post by passer by »

The benefit of a long sight radius is more precision in recognizing errors in sight alignment. The farther the front sight is from your hand, the more exagerated that movement is allowing the shooter to better see sight alignment errors. I can not see that moving the rear sight closer to your eye would be a benefit, but who knows until you try. Let us know how it works out.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

since that is the last moving point going forward
What does this mean? moving forward, what is moving ? forward ? what ?
since that is the last moving point going forward, if you consider that a grip should be static.

Again, what does this statement mean

paulo

Post by paulo »

I tried the rear sights further back and it helps a lot focusing on the front sites, you do see more movement but this movements is an indication of how much work you have ahead to improve your body stance.
Once you control all the movement coming from feet and leg position/torso rotation/shoulder/elbow lock/"wrist lock"/grip/trigger finger/... you will be looking at the ten ring.

The wrist can't be locked, and there is always some movement when holding a gun coming from the wrist, shooting practice and tools like a Dynaflex help but will never eliminate wrist movement.

As you go from the wrist toward the gun muzzle everything should be working as a single unit and a static form is easier to attain. Thus all the time spent perfecting a grip, to establish neutral full contact between hand and gun. Here only trigger finger should move independent of everything else.

The goal is to reduce movement "completely"so you can hold inside the ten ring (10-10.9 in the x/y planes) every time you align your gun for a shot.

This is a personalized view of what a perfect shot is, since I am not at that level I am working in steps to get there. Anything that helps move less is great.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

This is a personalized view of what a perfect shot is, since I am not at that level I am working in steps to get there. Anything that helps move less is great.
Good effort in your viewpoint , don't give up

paulo

Post by paulo »

Trying not to give up, doubt I will, but thank you for the encouragement.
Here are the mods, 1 3/8" rear sight extension, front aluminum bar for balance, lots of metal out of the grip frame as showed in other pictures.
Absolutely a new gun, specially the reduced weight and better front sight focus, and now time to start all over again learning how to shoot it, hopefully not has many flyers!
Attachments
full view
full view
rear sights
rear sights
rear sights
rear sights
agentr

toz 35

Post by agentr »

From my experience, I cant see why anybody would want to remove weight. The barrels on the toz are so light, they bounce around like you're shooting from the bed of a moving truck. I added this balance weight setup ($16), with 120 grams of addtitional weight, that can fine tune the center of gravity. I shot a score of 504 with only one week of practice with this pistol. After adding the weight, the pistol is ROCK steady and my scores went IMMEDIATLY to the 530's. I guess I'll have to earn the extra few points the old fashoned way but, I imagine I'll be shooting higher than 530' with a little more practice
agentr

toz 35

Post by agentr »

From my experience, I cant see why anybody would want to remove weight. The barrels on the toz are so light, they bounce around like you're shooting from the bed of a moving truck. I fabricated this balance weight setup ($16), with 109 grams of addtitional weight, that can fine tune the center of gravity. I shot a score of 504 with only one week of practice with this pistol. After adding the weight, the pistol is ROCK steady and my scores went IMMEDIATLY to the 520's. I guess I'll have to earn the extra few points the old fashoned way but, I imagine I'll be shooting higher than 530's with a little more practice. FYI. I had my buddy, Neal Caloia, who shot a TOZ 35 in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, set up the trigger the way he felt best. It pulls strait back, with the shoe turned to rest flat against the finger, like you see in the picture. It weighs in at 38 grams. Neal also felt the barrels are too light on the Toz. He also added weight via a brass tube with a cutout to fit around the front sight.

Last edited by agentr on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Like your weight idea.
The reason I had to reduce weight was to make it about the same as my air pistol.
My arm was hurting by the 40th shot, in free pistol, and quality of shooting went down at that point, I tried aerobic and the funny ball but the gun was still too heavy for my comfort.
That might not be the right idea, but I am experimenting to find what works for me.
agentr

toz 35

Post by agentr »

paulo, I shoot bullseye pistol (45acp) as well as the Olympic pistols. I use a "gripmaster" excersizer and lift an 8 lbs weight daily. This has drastically helped my hold as well as the consistency of my scores. My right shoulder is twice the size of my left...but I 'll have to live with that. Just for sh*ts and giggles, wrap some lead solder around your barrel, just behind the rear sight, or hang anything from it. 1-2oz ought to do it. You'll see the difference I'm talking about.
agentr

toz 35

Post by agentr »

Another question if anybody knows. How do you remove the front sight fron a Toz that does NOT have the detent screw inside the front sight??? I want to re-crown this relic and finish my refubishing. Before I get a bunch of posts about not touching the crown, be advised, this one has a visible gnash in it. A recrown is a must.
Last edited by agentr on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
j-team

Post by j-team »

If you want to reduce the weight of a Toz, I would leave the barrel alone and lighten it a bit by drilling a bunch of holes in the frame (under the grip).

OK, I know that shifts the centre of gravity fowrard , but the Toz isn't exactly barrel heavy to start with.

As for the removal of the earlier frontsight body, I think they are shrunk on so it might be a bigger job that you want. Should be able to recrown with it in place shouldn't you?
agentr

toz mod

Post by agentr »

Yeah. I figured I'd just have to cut the crown in place. I was just hoping to do the most professional looking job I could. The cutter should arrive any day now. If I have to cut the barrel indent a little (the metal ring that currently protects the crown)...so what. I'ts all about the best funtional result. Besides, it might look really cool!
Last edited by agentr on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.