compromised sight picture at 100 yds

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Charlotte

compromised sight picture at 100 yds

Post by Charlotte »

I have Knobloch's with a prescription lens made to match my sight radius and I have a great sight picture at 50 yds and 50 meters but at 100 yds I have great difficulty discerning whether the bull is centered in my front aperture. Is this something anyone here has experience with? I'm planning to go back to my optometrist and discuss it with him but wondered if there is an equipment issue that mght resolve or at least improve it. I have read before that some other shooters with older eyes like mine switched to a larger front globe for improved 100 yd results so I wondered if there might be some of you who had dealt with this.
RobStubbs

Re: compromised sight picture at 100 yds

Post by RobStubbs »

Charlotte wrote:I have Knobloch's with a prescription lens made to match my sight radius and I have a great sight picture at 50 yds and 50 meters but at 100 yds I have great difficulty discerning whether the bull is centered in my front aperture. Is this something anyone here has experience with? I'm planning to go back to my optometrist and discuss it with him but wondered if there is an equipment issue that mght resolve or at least improve it. I have read before that some other shooters with older eyes like mine switched to a larger front globe for improved 100 yd results so I wondered if there might be some of you who had dealt with this.
I can only imagine it's because of the slightly different bull sizes as seen through the sights and them looking different at 100Y v 50m. You may find a different sized front sight insert works for you, but I can't see how anything optically would be of use. You are optically focussing on the foresight and that's the same distance from your eye at any distance you shoot.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

RobStubbs wrote:IF You are optically focussing on the foresight and that's the same distance from your eye at any distance you shoot.

Rob.
IF!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:IF You are optically focussing on the foresight and that's the same distance from your eye at any distance you shoot.

Rob.
IF!
Indeed that's true, but equally 50m or 100y shouldn't make that much difference if you're not looking at the right bit. But to clarify for the OP, you should be focussing on the foresight and that's what your presecription should be set for.

Rob.

compromised sight picture

Post by Guest »

Charlotte: I'm not sure what you mean by "older eyes" but having a pair of "old" eyes for the last 24 years has taught me that you just have to experiment to get a sight picture that's acceptable. By all means change both the front aperture and rear apertures sizes (one at a time) and experiment with filters. Often yellow and orange will give you a little more contrast. Also, I have found that going against the conventional wisdon of "sharp front aperture, fuzzy bullseye" to "fuzzy front aperture, sharp bullseye" can work. To some extent your eyes, your brain and your tolerance for different sight pictures are unique. What we can use successfully might not work for you. I've found that it's helpful to have Champion or similar shooting glasses because I can change lenses without having to change frames. Try Neal Stepp at I.S.S. for prescription lenses. The price is usually more reasonable than the local optician. Mike Barron