Dry firing with FWB AW93

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Dry firing with FWB AW93

Post by Guest »

I know the user manual for the FWB AW93 states not to use any sort of plug for dry firing. But could I damage the firing pin, breech, or slide with repeated use of such feature? Like 50 times a day, 5 times a week, every week. So far, I've been doing that for over a year with no apparent problems...

Thank you in advance. :-)
paulo

Post by paulo »

Check serial number on front page of manual, and then look at page 16.
Guns with serial over 20000 can be dry fired with no plug.
http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules ... 5?id=369-0

Post by Guest »

Thank you, Paulo!

Mine is well over s/n 20,000 so dry firing without a plug should be a safe practice. :-)
Walter

Post by Walter »

My gun is under 5000 and is safe to dry fire.

Put paper in front of the pin to see if it hits.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I recall being told by a gunsmith that the problem with dryfiring was not so much the tip of the firing pin hitting the breach face but the strain it put on the length of the pin due to inertia : i.e. the rapidly moving pin suddenly stops as the "shoulder" of the pin meets the shoulder within the slide. However due to the inertia, everything forward of the shoulder want to keep moving, and thus the pin can eventually break along its length from the stresses placed on the steel. Does anyone know for sure if this could be an issue with the AW93?
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Folks - there's a really simple way of making a dry-fire device for the AW93. Cut a plug of wood, plastic or any other suitable material. Cut it to a length about the same as a .22 shell case. Insert this plug between the breech face of the barrel and the breech block. If you've cut it to the right length the trigger will still actuate and allow the hammer to fall, but the breech block is wedged open so when the hammer is released it moves upward slightly and contacts the underside of the breech block. The net result is you feel only a slight "click".

Racking the slide requires you to move it to the rear only about 3/8" to reengage the sear.

This trick was shown me by a Belarus shooter who shot the original Russian version of the AW93 (the RH-32 or something similar??).

Post by Guest »

Insert this plug between the breech face of the barrel and the breech block.
The user manual for the AW93 specifically states not to use a plug or similar devide for dry firing.