Emptying an Anschutz Cylinder

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Soupy44

Emptying an Anschutz Cylinder

Post by Soupy44 »

Without the special emptying tool, how can you get the air out of Anschutz cylinder? Thinking ahead to JOs here. Thanks.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Unless you have the discharge tool, I think the only other "safe" way is dryfiring.

You might want to call Shawn at the Colorado Springs Monard Store and see if he can have one for you there to purchase.
719-302-6166 or shawn@trybom.com

I'll be on the downstairs range during the women's matches ... I'll bring a spare you can borrow.
robf

Post by robf »

i'd be apprehensive of firing it to empty...

2 things will happen...

1 at some point the valve won't be able to hold back the air, either in the reg or the cylinder and once both go, it will purge through the gun... not that it will really harm it, but if you don't have to send the whole system below sub zero very quickly then i don't see a reason why you should ;)

2 the lack of back pressure on the knock open valve may mean your valve has less resistance to opening, so it might just contact a bit harder... again, it shouldn't cause a problem, but why do it if you don't have to.

the empty valve is the way to go, but do it slowly so you don't weld your hands to the cylinder... it will get very cold very quickly if you do it too fast.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Rob ... the problem comes about here in the US because our TSA currently forbids flight on an commercial aircraft with a non-empty cylinder.

Shooters must appear at the airport w/ empty cylinders.
We've had an instance back in Dec where the TSA in Colorado Springs would not let any cylinder fly ... empty or not, so folks have had to start shipping them via ground delivery. Here again cylinders must be empty.

US National Junior Olympics start this Thursday, so if you are a competitor that is flying out you really should ship the cyls to yourself at the OTC.

Call Nicole Levine there if you have any questions.
Nicole Levine
Competitions Assistant
USA Shooting
Phone: 719-866-4882 / Fax: 719-866-4884
batty

Post by batty »

heres a quick but crude way of emptying your cylinder without the right tool

get an allen key (about 2 mm) or a screwdriver, look at the valve on teh cylinder and you will see a little "nipple" this is hte valve, carefully and firmly press your tool on this nipple, it iwll need some pressure as the air behind it is keeping it closed

keep pressure on it until its empty!

Done!!!!!!!!

yes i know its crude but it does the job if you don't have the right tool!
ANSCHUTZ

Post by ANSCHUTZ »

don't point the cylinder at yourself when trying this as you may end up with something stuck in your eye.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Thank you for your posts. We were able to track down the tool necessary to get this done and the cylinders are en route to the OTC.
robf

Post by robf »

jhmartin wrote:Rob ... the problem comes about here in the US because our TSA currently forbids flight on an commercial aircraft with a non-empty cylinder.

Shooters must appear at the airport w/ empty cylinders.
We've had an instance back in Dec where the TSA in Colorado Springs would not let any cylinder fly ... empty or not, so folks have had to start shipping them via ground delivery. Here again cylinders must be empty.

US National Junior Olympics start this Thursday, so if you are a competitor that is flying out you really should ship the cyls to yourself at the OTC.

Call Nicole Levine there if you have any questions.
Nicole Levine
Competitions Assistant
USA Shooting
Phone: 719-866-4882 / Fax: 719-866-4884
sounds like your making progress some ways :)