Shooting glasses - adjustments and choices

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mapletune

Shooting glasses - adjustments and choices

Post by mapletune »

[moved to Rifle Forum]

I've been looking at shooting frames for the last couple of days and I can't decide which is most suitable. Apart from all the different manufacturers, each model offers different features and degree of adjustments. I know that shooting frames for AR generally need more adjustments than AP. But how much is enough?

These are some of the adjustments featured on many models.

- Offset horizontal bar to hold lens holder. (on MEC. others just mount lens holder on frames directly)
- Lens holder can turn about it's own axis and swivel up and down. (all models)
- lens-part of lens holder can swivel as well.
- offset lens position on lens holder. ( O__ as opposed to straight O--- )
- lens turning on axis of offset lens holder. (i really don't know how to keep describing each adjustment...)

Which features are necessary when shooting AR? and 3 positions?

I've been running through my mind the head and eye position for Air Rifle and can't help but conclude 3 turning axis is needed. But Knobloch frames only have 2 axis for adjustments. So I'm stumped, because I know many people use Knobloch as well...

The second question has to do with lens and diopter. I've noticed that Jaggi Nova describes their 25mm and 31mm lens holders as suitable for lens with 4 diopters of correction while 42mm lens holder has no mention. Is this due to the area of the lens not being large enough? Since my prescription is more than 6 diopters, I would like to make sure before I purchase.

The last question is about the headband mounted lens =P can anyone comment on headband vs frames?

that's a lot of questions! sorry!!! =D
Thanks in advanced for reading~
ZD

Reply to shooting glasses

Post by ZD »

I use a pair of Knobloch shooting glasses. I can definately tell you to not get the Jagi shooting glasses. My coach warned me not to get those, as they are a pain. The knoblochs offer me a decent pair of shooting frames for 185 dollars. However, they are a pain to tighten done if you slide them over all the way to left (typically for standing and kneeling). Sometimes I cannot get it far enough over. Also, you will have to mark settings with sharpie pen, but rotation cannot be marked to my knowledge. Champion frames are used by all the top athletes, but are expensive (285 dollars for a pair vs 185 dollars for a pair of Knobloch's). I can tell you that a pair of Knoblochs would do the job, but if you are willing to spend more money, a pair of Champions would probably be better. I do not know the price range of a pair of MEC ones. All I know is that Centershot sells them (possibly Brenzovich too).
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

This complexity is a good reason for considering contact lenses. Might these be appropriate for you?
gas_gunner

Re: Reply to shooting glasses

Post by gas_gunner »

ZD wrote:I use a pair of Knobloch shooting glasses. I can definately tell you to not get the Jagi shooting glasses. My coach warned me not to get those, as they are a pain. The knoblochs offer me a decent pair of shooting frames for 185 dollars. However, they are a pain to tighten done if you slide them over all the way to left (typically for standing and kneeling). Sometimes I cannot get it far enough over. Also, you will have to mark settings with sharpie pen, but rotation cannot be marked to my knowledge. Champion frames are used by all the top athletes, but are expensive (285 dollars for a pair vs 185 dollars for a pair of Knobloch's). I can tell you that a pair of Knoblochs would do the job, but if you are willing to spend more money, a pair of Champions would probably be better. I do not know the price range of a pair of MEC ones. All I know is that Centershot sells them (possibly Brenzovich too).
ZD wrote:I use a pair of Knobloch shooting glasses. I can definately tell you to not get the Jagi shooting glasses. My coach warned me not to get those, as they are a pain. The knoblochs offer me a decent pair of shooting frames for 185 dollars. However, they are a pain to tighten done if you slide them over all the way to left (typically for standing and kneeling). Sometimes I cannot get it far enough over. Also, you will have to mark settings with sharpie pen, but rotation cannot be marked to my knowledge. Champion frames are used by all the top athletes, but are expensive (285 dollars for a pair vs 185 dollars for a pair of Knobloch's). I can tell you that a pair of Knoblochs would do the job, but if you are willing to spend more money, a pair of Champions would probably be better. I do not know the price range of a pair of MEC ones. All I know is that Centershot sells them (possibly Brenzovich too).
Well,
I have a pair of Olympic Champions and they may have more adjustment than the Knoblochs, but much of that adjustment is a one-time adjustment, which is something you should be aware of. When I say that they are a one-time adjustment, they are adjustments that are made and set by the use of the provided set screws that have a sharp point on them which dig into the part of the glasses that you adjust. If you set the glassess and set them incorrectly (or even if you set them correctly), then try to move some of those adjustments, the set screw will defy your attempts to move the setting and will tend to want to go back into the "divot" left by the prior setting, so you will need help from another person in positioning the setting. This is both good and bad that they go back to the prior setting. It's good if your setting was correct, but not good if you are trying to get it set and don't have it quite correct. Some of the adjustments are adjustable on the fly and can be repositioned. I once saw (I think it was on Neil Johnson's now defunct site) that there is/was a frame which was a step above the Olympic Champions in that line, where all the adjustments were adjustable on the fly and didn't use set-screws. I haven't searched for them again, but may. That may be the ultimate way to go. I seem to remember that the frames were in the $300.00 range or so. I wanted to buy those and still might if I can find them. Knoblochs may not be a bad way to go.

Danny
Last edited by gas_gunner on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

Well, I found the Champion Frames that I was talking about. They are called the "SuperOlympic Champions". Has anyone here bought these?

http://www.precision-sports.com/superolympic.htm

Danny

Post by Guest »

gas_gunner wrote:Well, I found the Champion Frames that I was talking about. They are called the "SuperOlympic Champions". Has anyone here bought these?

http://www.precision-sports.com/superolympic.htm

Danny
From everything ive seen this is what matt emmons uses.

Post by Guest »

I've used a variety of glasses to include knobloch, champion, etc. I would highly recommend looking into the mec frames. Just as you might have 3 butt plates to avoid making changes, with the mec you can easily have 3 lens holders (I think mec calls them 'bayonets'). With such a setup you have all the changover speed and repeatability of 3 sets of glasses at a much better price...

-Mark

Post by Guest »

Sorry for the double post...

here is a link with good info: http://www.centershot.com/mec_glasses.htm

Also available as a headband for those of use who had nosepieces and earpieces. I'm a big fan.

-Mark
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I use these for standing
http://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php ... etail=1422
and these for prone
http://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php ... detail=384

I consider myself an entry level shooter so I don't have the need to go for somthing expensive(for myself)
In the future I might change them.