running a match checklist

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

little_doodie

running a match checklist

Post by little_doodie »

I am running a junior 3p /Air match next week and I was thinking of developing a checklist. Does anyone have one pre made that could help me along.
bellyshooter

Holding a Match-- Check List

Post by bellyshooter »

While I haven't ever really sat down to write out a list, I do have a mental checklist developed from 26 years of running matches.

Things to have on hand:

-Rule Book that your match will be run under
-script for your range officer to follow when running range-- include times
-scoring gauges (for the type match you're running)
-targets (make sure you have enough)
-range clock (placed where it's visible to entire range)
-cleaning rod or dowel for removing stuck bullets/pellets from barrel
-if you are using score cards-- have ample copies
-pens
-something to put the $ in from the collection of match fees
-$1's and $5's for giving change
-tape measurer (to recheck the distances and heights are according to rules)
-place to post scores & times for challenge periods (as well as posting your match program)
*if your range requires glasses-- this should be included in your match program as none of the governing bodies rule books do more than recommend this and some folks don't like to use them
-Awards & something to display them on

Note: if you have target clips that you use, or extra lighting that is put out to supplement-- make certain that you have replacement parts in case something breaks during the match. Extra clips, extra bulbs, extension cord, etc. For most air rifle matches, competitors expect air to be available-- be sure that your tank is full!

Arrive 1-1/2 hours before the first relay (most shooter will arrive 1 hour prior to shooting, so the extra 1/2 hour is helpful for set-up)

I like to have target packets prepared prior to the arrival of shooters (I mark the positions and competitor numbers-- this is something you can have kids/parents do at the practice before the match)

Having the range completely set-up is also helpful (things to check are distances, lighting continuity (are all the bulbs functioning so all firing points have equal lighting?), are the firing points indicated with alternating colors of #'s posted either above or below?

I also like to have the awards on display throughout the match. I keep a small portable table and patriotic table cloth for this purpose.

Try to set up a particular time for the awards ceremony and make it special. You may want to invite someone who has donated to the program or volunteered or is a successful/recognized shooting athlete or member of your state association or board of directors to give out the awards. It's a bummer for kids when they don't have immediate gratification of being recognized but must wait a few weeks or months to be sent what they won.

Do you have enough people?

At a minimum, even if you do most of the work yourself, you still need to have another person as a range officer for each relay and should have two to three people designated to help with scoring as two should be initialing all plugged shots and a third should be on hand to make determinations when the two disagree.

If you are expecting a lot of people, it's nice if food is available and you can make $$$ for your club by selling it (this also gives parents a stake in the team by giving them a job or provides your team captains with added responsibilities for organizing fund raisers that will benefit the team)

Remember, someone will need to:
collect match fees, input names on your results list (if a name is difficult to pronounce-- make a phoenetic guide for yourself on scratch paper so that if you must announce the name for an award you get it right), score targets, monitor shooters on the line, give out awards, and print & distribute final results. If you are exceptionally ambitious, you may want to write a short press release and send it, with a photo or two, to the local newspaper. While you may find yourself doing most of these, you will feel less stressed if you share the responsibilities (at least as you are learning the ropes of running tournaments).

Should you gain volunteers, be sure to recognize them. I like to thank the folks who made the event happen prior to the awards distribution (this is when the kids and their parents are paying closest attention to what you have to say). I also schedule my awards for approximately 1/2 hour after the last relay should end. This gives time for the final scoring, posting and challenges and, most importantly, for people to help with clean-up. DO NOT give awards until everything that needs to be done is accomplished. If the range needs to be returned to a specific condition, trash needs to be taken out, etc., then list those items and let people know that awards will follow their completion. Having 10-15 motivated people to do these tasks will get it done in 15 minutes, whereas, if you think you'll just clean-up yourself afterwards, you may find yourself taking an extra hour after a long day.

Have fun and enjoy! Watching the kids progress is an amazing feeling.
It is also an opportunity to teach our next generation of young people several important things--

To recognize the accomplishments of others
To be gracious winners
To be responsible, cooperative and safe shooters
To appreciate the opportunities they are given

For some, this may be the first time that they actually receive an award. You can teach them how to accept it. Some young people don't know how to shake hands firmly. Some haven't learned when it is appropriate to remove their hat. You can help them by creating a positive and formal environment for recognizing their accomplishments while giving and demanding respect.

Best of luck with your event!
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Wow Belly, that was an incredibly good posting!
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

Wonderful reply!!!
It's not my first match but it has been a while so Thanks for all the input.
90% of what you listed is in line with what I am thinking.
the other 10% is the stuff I forgot or didn't think of.

Thanks LD