SCATT Difficulties

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Aviator24

SCATT Difficulties

Post by Aviator24 »

Hello! Just wanted to see if anyone knew how to help me with my SCATT. I just got it not too long ago, but noticed that it didn't work really well when in prone and kneeling. Standing, it worked ok part of the time. I'll attach a picture of what I'm seeing when trying to shoot with it. Someone said it was lighting, but when I experimented with it, it still wouldn't work right. I also put the rifle in a rest, and aimed it at the scatt..... it kept moving! Help?
Attachments
Scatt File.jpg
Scatt File.jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

It may help others diagnose the problem to know what distance you are from the target.

I have been using mine standing, about try prone and kneeling too...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

How close to a wall/floor/ceiling is the target? What happens when you move it further away?

Have you tried putting the rifle in a rest and then turning the lights off?
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

This is a common problem. There is too much incandescent light in the area and or the light is directly below the target. In that case it is like looking through mirage. Change to compact fluorescent or diode bulbs and move them off to the sides. Even halogen bulbs can work if they are positioned correctly, especially above the target.
The other potential problems are: heat/cooling ducts in the area that the target is placed; in the lower positions a shiny floor or in standing a low ceiling can cause problems.
The trace should be smooth and continuous.
Be certain to not block the infrared diodes on the target at the top and bottom with any lighting or mounting hardware.
Marcus
Aviator24

Post by Aviator24 »

To answer a few questions. I've tried to use the scatt in two environments. One, in my basement which is a very low ceiling place, small, and the halogen was underneath, which as I see now is not the place for it to be. The other environment was at my school range which is quite large. I experimented with where the halogen light was place including the side, far away etc. I have put it in the rest and turned off all the lights.... it still moved a little, but nowhere near as much as shown in the picture. I appreciate the help!
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

I received my new unit about a week ago. Misread the instructions and used all incandescent lighting with some halogen as well. Got the same artifact you see in the attachment. Switched to only flourescent bulbs; the individual bulbs that fit into gooseneck fixtures in order to aim at the target. Problem resolved and you don't have the excess heat from the incandescent bulbs either.

Dennis