5M Range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BorzoiDad

5M Range

Post by BorzoiDad »

Like many of you I'm sure, I don't have room for a full 10M range in the house. I also can't open a window and shoot out. I did find a reduced target for 5M on the Pilk site and downloaded it.

How do I know the proper size? It has a scale at a 45o angle in the lower right corner. Does anyone know what the spacing on the scale is supposed to be?
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Easy way, 5m is half of the regulation 10m.
So divide the ring size in half and you have the 5m scale.
Black 7 ring = 59.5mm
outer 1 ring = 155.5mm

So for a 5m targer
black 7 ring s/b ~ 30mm
outer 1 ring s/b ~ 78mm
joker

Post by joker »

Remaining problem is that the pellets cannot be made 1/2 size - I just use normal size 10M targets and have the option of only awarding 1/2 the ring scores - this can result in quite a lot of depression. So I just score normally and tell myself that I am making the best out of a bad situation.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I have the XL program to compute the correct ring sizes for reduced range given a specific size pellet. So you can make the correct size scoring target using a target program such as Ian Pellant's program.

The "problem" with that is the black bull (7 ring) will now be incorrectly scaled for the sight picture. So you have to make an additional ring for the scaled 7 ring, and loose the 1 ring (which you should not need anyway)
j-team

Post by j-team »

joker wrote:Remaining problem is that the pellets cannot be made 1/2 size - I just use normal size 10M targets and have the option of only awarding 1/2 the ring scores - this can result in quite a lot of depression. So I just score normally and tell myself that I am making the best out of a bad situation.
How about not worrying about whether the scoring zones are correct, and just concentrating on correct technique and reducing the group size.
SeaBlue52

5 Meter Targets

Post by SeaBlue52 »

I was able to order correctly-scaled five-meter targets from Nikkonos in Quebec via eBay (right half of the attached image). Nikkonos was great to deal with, and the targets were quite inexpensive. The paper quality is nothing like Edelmann or Kruger, but the targets worked fine.

For me, shooting at five meters is apparently easier than at ten, as I was able to post 5-meter scores consistently 15 to 20 points above my 60-shot average at ten meters. For this reason, I discontinued training at five meters, but if I had no other option, five meter training is better than no training.

Good luck in your search.
Attachments
IMG_0533_2.jpg
Rover

Post by Rover »

I used to buy 106T 5 meter targets from Cibles, but haven't been able to get them in a while.

I now use 10M air rifle targets at 5M.

I score them using this system:
9=10
deep7=9
6=8

My scores are comparable with my10M scores and I can usually find them with one shot on them for free.
joker

Post by joker »

joker wrote:Remaining problem is that the pellets cannot be made 1/2 size - I just use normal size 10M targets and have the option of only awarding 1/2 the ring scores - this can result in quite a lot of depression. So I just score normally and tell myself that I am making the best out of a bad situation.
I made a booboo with the above statement - I should have said that I subtract 1 point for each shot - x = 10 as usual but 10=9, 9=8 and so on. As already said 5M is better than no practice, or irregular access to 10M.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

@SeaBlue
As mentioned, the reason you are scoring higher is likely the fact that while the 5m target is 50% of the regulation target, the pellet is still the same size. So the pellet will cut a hole 2x as big as it should in the reduced range target, and what would have been a near miss will score the next higher ring.

This is why a lot of CF shooters used to use the 45ACP for the center fire portion of the 3 gun match. (.22, CF, 45ACP) A bigger hole means a near miss w a .32 could cut the higher ring with a .45

So the 5m scores are not directly comparable to 10m scores.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

A lot of reduced target are meant to be outward scoring so you actually get the lowest value ring touched.
SeaBlue52

5-meter Target

Post by SeaBlue52 »

GaryN wrote:@SeaBlue
As mentioned, the reason you are scoring higher is likely the fact that while the 5m target is 50% of the regulation target, the pellet is still the same size. So the pellet will cut a hole 2x as big as it should in the reduced range target, and what would have been a near miss will score the next higher ring.

This is why a lot of CF shooters used to use the 45ACP for the center fire portion of the 3 gun match. (.22, CF, 45ACP) A bigger hole means a near miss w a .32 could cut the higher ring with a .45

So the 5m scores are not directly comparable to 10m scores.
Gary,

The 5-meter target is smaller than half the size of the 10-meter target to adjust for the pellet consistently being 4.5 mm ... that aspect of the process is already accounted for. I understand the impact of shooting CF with a .45 vs a .32, but all ISSF air events are shot with 4.5 mm pellets (yes some are 4.49 or 4.51, but all are practically 4.5).

Seablue52
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

SB
OK I thought that the 5m was simply a 50% scaled reduction.
Glad to see that they accounted for the pellet size.
Is the BLACK bull the 7 ring, or is that 50% of the 10m target?
The bull should be scaled w/o adjustment for pellet size since that is a purely visual aiming point.
SeaBlue52

5-Meter Target

Post by SeaBlue52 »

GaryN wrote:SB
OK I thought that the 5m was simply a 50% scaled reduction.
Glad to see that they accounted for the pellet size.
Is the BLACK bull the 7 ring, or is that 50% of the 10m target?
The bull should be scaled w/o adjustment for pellet size since that is a purely visual aiming point.
The black is, as in the 10-meter target, the seven ring. While not exactly half the size of the black in the 10-meter target, it appears to me essentially the same over the front sight. Since I have been trained to focus on the front sight and not to look at the target, any subtle differences simply do not register.

At five meters, the targets work well. I apparently just do better at that distance. Makes me wonder how tough it would be for me to shoot free pistol at 50 meters!!