recommendation for dry fire pistol in my office

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tallahassee

recommendation for dry fire pistol in my office

Post by tallahassee »

Any recommendation for a dry fire pistol? I intend to use it in my office with door closed.

A cheap one, but a realistic one. Any recommendation?
Oz

Post by Oz »

Unless the grip, sight picture and the trigger are similar to the pistol you actually use for live fire, I'm not sure you will realize the full benefit of the dry-fire exercise. I suppose you will see the basic benefits of maintaining a sight picture and follow through.

Are you interested in Air Pistol, Free Pistol, Conventional/Standard Pistol, Rapid Fire... knowing the discipline(s) in which you participate will make a big difference in a recommendation.

Oz
Tallahassee

Post by Tallahassee »

My interest is in air pistol.
yana

Post by yana »

Morini 162E is easy to dry fire with its E trigger. Would be shame to use it for dry fire only though!

Post by Guest »

Depends on where you work, of course, but having a weapon of any description in my office is a firing offense. Well, we do work for a government agency...

But do check that you can bring it in legally, just in case somebody opens the door and sees it by accident.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Anonymous wrote:Depends on where you work, of course, but having a weapon of any description in my office is a firing offense. Well, we do work for a government agency...

But do check that you can bring it in legally, just in case somebody opens the door and sees it by accident.
You must not get much work done then, I guess no pens, pencil, scissors, books, or newspapers. I take it they have your chairs fasten to the floor.

Post by Guest »

The statement is, of course, absurd on its face. You can kill with a pencil or a fountain pen and maybe the goop in white-out. But "weapon" is specified to something designed to be used as a weapon, and there's the Swiss Army Knife exception. We do have to watch a "safety video" for office workers which includes serious and scary warnings about the dangers of scissors, and paper cuts!

There may be many reasons for not getting much work done, including reading TT.

In part the no-weapon rule is needed to keep a gun-free workplace in accordance with laws/regs for Federal contractors since Virginia has a concealed carry law, and I think open carry is permitted.

But private owners are allowed to forbid guns on their premises.
joker

Post by joker »

Sitting in your office dry firing a pistol seems like a sure way of alarming and pissing off the rest of your colleagues. No wonder shooters get so much bad publicity. A sure way of 'shooting yourself in the foot' so to speak!
2650 Plus

Dryfirimg in your office

Post by 2650 Plus »

Even better advice would be to carefully clear your pistol every time you pick it up to dryfire. One famious shooter was dryfiring at his desk. When he decided to stop he reloaded his hand gun . Some distraction occurred and he picked up the pistol forgetting that he had reloaded and attempted another dryfire. The round fired and killed another person on the other side of the office wall. A properly cleared p[istol is a safe pistol. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Oz

Post by Oz »

With the emphasis and interest being Air Pistol, there's a possibility that some employers might be less concerned about a fancy BB gun. But still could be serious and significant ramifications.

Electronic triggers are good for dry fire. But a cost effective yet capable of quality results is still going to be a IZH-46. You couldn't ask for a better trigger for $300 (used). And you couldn't ask for better accuracy for $300 (used). Since it's built like a tank, it'll help build good muscle and can easily dry-fire just by not pumping it and the trigger will be good for 10's of thousands of dry-fire cycles.

Then you can actually shoot it in competition well into the 550's before a need to 'upgrade'.

Oz
roostonu

Post by roostonu »

In California, believe it or not, it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in your place of employment unless company policy specifically says you may not.

I shoot AP at work almost every day at lunch. Luckily my local laws do not treat AP the same as a firearm, but other local communities do.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

joker wrote:Sitting in your office dry firing a pistol seems like a sure way of alarming and pissing off the rest of your colleagues. No wonder shooters get so much bad publicity. A sure way of 'shooting yourself in the foot' so to speak!
Yes Joker I'm sure that's why shooters get a bad name.
Richard H

Re: Dryfirimg in your office

Post by Richard H »

2650 Plus wrote:Even better advice would be to carefully clear your pistol every time you pick it up to dryfire. One famious shooter was dryfiring at his desk. When he decided to stop he reloaded his hand gun . Some distraction occurred and he picked up the pistol forgetting that he had reloaded and attempted another dryfire. The round fired and killed another person on the other side of the office wall. A properly cleared p[istol is a safe pistol. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Actually the best practice is to not have any ammo anywhere near where you're dry firing. (unless you are dryfiring at an actual firing point at a range and pointing down range) added for those that sense is not common.