Airport clearance

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sagara

Airport clearance

Post by sagara »

Dear freinds,

I need to buy an air pistol from USA & bring it down to Srilanka.
Could you pls explain me the Air port proceedures in US.

Thanks
sagara
Neil Foster

Post by Neil Foster »

Sagara,
I hate to say this but procedures vary from airport to airport and from one TSA agent to another. Normally the air pistol is treated as if it is a firearm (even though it is not classified as such by our ATF). It must be packed in your checked luggage in a hard case, and locked. You retain the key. The problem comes into play with the compressed air cylinders. In the past when I traveled by air I usually sent the cylinders (empty of course) by mail to my destination. There is no uniformity in the way the "rules" are applied. I have not had a problem with the method I use. In the USA you will need to declare that you have a "firearm" (even though it is not) at the airport. The passenger agent may or may not look at it. You will then sign a tag that the air gun is unloaded. This tag is usually placed in the gun case and then locked. If you have pellets leave them in the original container and keep them in a separate part of your luggage. You will most likely need to then carry your bag with the gun in it to an X-Ray machine where the TSA will run it through the machine. If you make an intermediate stop in the US and reclaim your bag, you will need to repeat the procedure. If you make a stop outside the US I do not have a clue as to how they may treat your gun. If you are coming to the USA I would suggest talking to the folks at Pilkington (http://www.pilkguns.com) Scot and his team are the best! I purchased two Steyr LP-10's from him. The TSA also has a page on the Internet descrbing what is allowed. Here is a link:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... ems.shtm#6
Sagara, I hope this helps you.
Good shooting, think 10.9 :-)
Neil
sagara

airport clearence

Post by sagara »

Dear Neil,
Thanks for the well breiefed note.
it is encouraging. this is the spirite of a foram like target talk.
Yes.. 10.9

Thanks
Rgds
Sagara
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Even when staying on the same plane (e.g. a one hour transit), going through Singapore requires its own paperwork, fee, and possible inspection.

It is simpler to go some other route.

Spencer
RobStubbs

Re: Airport clearance

Post by RobStubbs »

sagara wrote:Dear freinds,

I need to buy an air pistol from USA & bring it down to Srilanka.
Could you pls explain me the Air port proceedures in US.

Thanks
sagara
Is it not simpler to buy it in the US and get it shipped to your home ? It saves all the possible hassles with security, TSA, customs and any import / export duties.

Rob.
sagara

airport clearence

Post by sagara »

Thanks every one..
it is easy to ship.. but I will have to pay lot of money from this end.
I am clear now.. thanks..
Rgds
Sagara
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

apologies for bumping such an old thread.

I'm contemplating to ask my friend buy some match pellets for me in Irvine, CA and bring them back to Taiwan for me since pellets at my range cost around 4 times the price in the US.

I've searched online as much as possible and have not found a suitable answer to my question: Would my friend have to declare AMMUNITION in checked baggage at airports in California?

Since he is not bringing air pistol nor air rifle nor air canisters... no need to declare those. I'm just unsure whether pellets, that are not explosive, are considered ammunition or not...
visitor

Post by visitor »

Pellets are definitely not ammunition.
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

alright! so i understand there will be no problems carrying pellets in checked baggage for international flights outbound of California~ no need to declare anything. thanks~

cheers,
Mike
Lionel

Post by Lionel »

In the USA? No need to declare. It's like flying around with lead fishing weights. You would want to double check on the Taiwan side with importation.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Plus depending on the amount you want to buy, be careful of the weight of your checked bag, if it goes over weight I'm sure it will wipeout any savings.