Good quality case

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

joel

Good quality case

Post by joel »

I recently purchased a nice Anschutz 1813 with attachments, accessories, etc..., but the case is rather old and doesn't instill a lot of confidence. What are some recommendations on a full size case that I can fit most of the stuff in all at once. I see that there are cases for scoped rifles and double rifle cases, but many of them aren't long enough. I believe that my rifle is about 53" with everything attached. Any particular brands?

Thanks in Advance,

Joel
Brian Carstensen

Post by Brian Carstensen »

Storm cases and pelican cases are by far what you will you as far as a heavy duty case that will protect your gun. Go to cases4less.com and i believe both brands are there...when i was looking a few years ago their prices were the best i could find if thats still true or not i cant say. The cases are basically the same; both have a few layers of foam that you can trace the profile of the gun onto and than cut it out and have a nice tight fit for the gun and whatever else you want to put in it. They both come in several lengths as well.
talladega

Post by talladega »

This is a very nice and heavy duty gun case: http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 318&page=1
joel

Post by joel »

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Storm case the best, but the Pelican looks first rate as well. The one from Championshooters looks pretty good as well, but I'm not sure that it would offer the same protection since it weighs half as much.

Thanks,

Joel
gas_gunner

Post by gas_gunner »

I just purchased about the same thing that you have. I will need a case for it soon. I found something on the link below that I saved a while back. I might like to try that for this rifle, if a long enough Pelikan Case can be found:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695

Hope it helps,

Danny
asmir

Post by asmir »

ON top of already mentioned cases. above..
I have very good experience with GunGuard and SKB. I have had a GunGuard case for years now and it is tough and the price was very nice too. However if you plan to travel and with latest airline stinginess with weight allowances you will do well with SKB. It is pricey but as far as the volume to weight ratio goes it is unbeatable.
joel

Post by joel »

Again, thanks for all the info. The thread about foam cutting was also very good.

Joel
Regnar11b

Post by Regnar11b »

If your traveling, a pelican case is the way to go. I have used one for over 20 years to carry two guns when flying. But in all honesty if you are going back and forth to the range or just to local shoots, use a standard soft case and put your butt plates and accessories in your gear bag. Lugging a huge case around might be fun at first but it gets old real quick. Plus it takes up a lot of room on or off of the range. You can also buy one of the $20 small pelican cases to hold iron sights and place in your gear bag to. But just some food for thought is all, whatever works best for you is what is best.
joel

Post by joel »

That's great information. So, you take your rifle apart, meaning, remove the sights, palm rest, butt plate, etc... each time and then put it all back on every time you go to the range? Honestly, I don't even know how to get my butt plate off :)

Also, leaving an apartment building with a soft case screams, rifle, whereas the Pelican case being pulled on wheels, can look like many other things.

Joel
regnar11b

Post by regnar11b »

Ya yank all of the stuff off. Your sights can get tweaked in a case mounted on your gun. Your butt plate should just unscrew with an allen wrench and slide off. When your at your local range next time ask a shooter who knows about your 1813 to take your bolt apart and show you how to put it back together. If its a standard 1813 I believe you have either a model 54 action or a 19 series action, either one is easy to take apart. Its good to know for cleaning and if you ever broke a firing pin it would be helpful. Also in the future you will want to know about the torque you use to tighten your barreled action in your stock (it will change your group size with different types of ammo). But I encourage you to play with all of your adjustments so that you know with confidence what adjustments will do what on your gun when your in a position. You will also find that from prone, sitting, standing and kneeling that your iron sights will move back and forth on your rifle to make proper eye relief for your sights. Also you should be changing your front apertures between positions (or have an adjustable one). 3.4-3.6 for prone, 3.6-3.8 for sitting and kneeling, and 3.8-4.0 for standing. I would recommend using the larger apps for all positions just because its easier on your eyes.
regnar11b

Post by regnar11b »

Ya the pelican case looks like a guitar case to most people, plus you could plaster it with stickers of another hobby just to mask it better.
joel

Post by joel »

Hi Regnar11b,

That's great stuff. I had no idea to do all that. I really appreciate the information and will try to figure that all out. I'm having a hard time moving the butt plate forward and back as well as trying to get the thing off. Not sure if it slides up or down to remove. Anyway, the manual isn't the best source of information and the people that shoot at the range likely don't know what a .22 bullet it :)

Thanks so much for that information.

Joel