Walther SSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Hello harten...all the unusual feelings you are presently experiencing with your trigger can be removed if adjusted correctly.
I just noticed on issf tv that Munkhbayar Dorjsuren won first place in the WC at milan on May 26th 09, in Ladies Sport using an SSP.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Sun May 31, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
harten11

Post by harten11 »

That sounds great! I really have to work on my precision stage, but yesterday I shot 287 with my SSP on duel. The trigger is +/- 1130 gram now, so that is something to improve. I am curious what I can reach with this pistol, expecially when the unusual feeling disappear! After next weekend I try to work on my trigger,

greetz Chantal
jbshooter

walther ssp trigger

Post by jbshooter »

Hi there deadeye.
Since your post I have relooked at the trigger adjustments on my SSP. You are correct in saying that the translation in the book falls short in some places but this can be overcome by visually seeing what is going on in the trigger housing. My main concern was the amount of second stage travel before the gun would go off. I have now reduced this by turning the outside of screw e anticlockwise and also loaded up second stage weight (the inner part of screw e) a little bit. I now have to get a suitable spring scale to measure trigger weights. What do you use? Now it's nearly as good as my Hammerli 280. All I have to do now is sort out the accuracy of the .32S&WL of the 280.....
jbshooter

walther ssp vs morini cm22rf

Post by jbshooter »

deadeye,
just wondering if you've got a preference for either your CM22RF or the SSP. What would be your biggest positives or negatives of either?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Hi JB...I don't have a Morini CM22,but owned an MG2 RF, and now the SSP. The person to speak to re: CM22's is JIPE, a regular contributor on this forum.
However the MG2 and the SSP are both great pistols, and individual taste and adjustability requirements play a large part in choosing between them. I would be happy with either/both.
David W

My SSP rattle

Post by David W »

Hey, does anyone else's SSP rattle when you shake it left and right...? holding it upside down and shaking it, there is no rattle. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks
David
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

No my SSP does not rattle. Try the cover bolt and make sure you have the proper caps on the recoil springs. If you've had it apart recheck to make sure that you have put the recoil system back together right.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Richard - was hoping to get a chance to chat with you this weekend at the CAGP but time seemed to just fly by. Would love to hear more about your SSP experiences. I was talking to Sunil K. about his SSP, which he appears to be enjoying much more now that Walther has produced a document, in readable english, which describes how the trigger works and how it should be adjusted. How about yours - what are the "goods" "bads" and "uglies" of the pistol? Since you're a long-time Walther GSP shooter it will be very interesting to hear your comparison of the two pistols.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'm sure we will have more time to chat at the Ontario Winter Games. So far I like it no issues. In usual Walther fashion it seems to digest any ammo (european that is I've hear its hard to chamber some federal but I never use the stuff so). I had no problem with the original trigger adjustment instructions but YMMV. People seem to have a hard time that some adjustments work together, once you master that trigger adjustment is pretty simple.

Trigger is better than GSP, Recoil absorber better than the GSP expert. Way way lighter than the GSP, the balance is more neutral than the GSP and the sights are worlds better than the GSP sights.
kardar

Walther SSP

Post by kardar »

I had the same trouble with understanding the trigger mechanism and on top of that neither English nor German are my first languages. Finally took the trigger apart to see how it worked and have now adjusted it (somewhat) to my liking.

I like the way SSP feels in my hand. It is very balanced, sights are great and adjustable. I have in fact ordered an extra rear sight that i want to set for duello shoots.

I also did some ammo testing, though not very scientific but the results very intresting.
Attachments
AMMOTEST-WALTHER-SSP.pdf
(289.4 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
KOC

Post by KOC »

Does the SSP have a steel or an aluminium frame? I've never handled one, but the manufacturer's stated weight suggests aluminium.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

alu
KOC

Post by KOC »

Thanks!

Walther SSP

Post by Guest »

Hi there folks, just some comments from a satisfied SSP owner:
I got my new pistol 3 weeks ago and has tried it out on the 25 meter range, for the first time.

It should be mentioned, that the SSP is in out-of-box condition and i'm still waiting for my personal Rink form grip and the standard Fürstenberg grip does not fit perfectly, the only other adjustment done by me, was to re-position the trigger and alter the first stage pull a bit.

Okey, here i was, on the range, sunshine and 5 celcius on the termometer, with six different brands of ammo, in the bag, now some serious shooting is to be done.

First, some lapua super club, from the bottom of the rangebag is loaded and i was expecting the same sharp recoil i was used to in my old SP20, but, what recoil, there was no recoil at all and function was flawless.
60 shots later i ran out of super club and changed to Eley Tenex EPS. Same result, with even less recoil and still no malfunctions.
Now i was start thinking, that i just might have taking the right decision, in gun choise, and took some series on 20 seconds with RWS C25 and was noticing, that the post didn't leave the black part of the target, during the series.
Ok, now i was starting to get familiar with the pistol, 90% of the shots was within the 9 ring, so i turned the timer to 10 seconds and shot some series with eley pistol match EPS and again, flawless function and superb handling.
After changing the targets, to rapid fire, i took some series on 8 second Olympic Rapid Fire, with RWS target pistol, but here, the grip was setting some limitations, as it became quite clear, i was in need of the Rink grip.

I ended the session with some Eley sport, again, no malfunctions.

All in all, i shot more than 500 shots, this day and in my opinion, the pistol did well, some adjustment has to be done, but all this shooting was done out-of-the-box and there was no problems at all and the first malfunction are still to come.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've had mine for a little over a month two brick of ammo thru it the only malfunction I had was during slow fire an ejected case landed back in the breach after ejecting and held it open (it was upside down and crushed). I've made a couple of trigger adjustments, without any problems. The gun so far has been flawless and I agree there is almost no recoil felt, it's almost like shooting an air pistol.

The only issue I have had is that the rear sight doesn't seem to want to come off. When I try to loosen the screw on the side I've actually twisted two very good quality allen keys trying to loosen it. I don't know if they Loctited it or something.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I've had the opposite problem whereby the rear sight has become loose during a match, giving me loads of seven's. Didn't find out what the cause was untill the last ten-second series.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

jbshooter wrote:I've had the opposite problem whereby the rear sight has become loose during a match, giving me loads of seven's. Didn't find out what the cause was untill the last ten-second series.
Maybe that is a problem they identified and fixed it with some loctite, I'll have it looked at Ft. Benning WC.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Maybe that is a problem they identified and fixed it with some loctite, I'll have it looked at Ft. Benning WC.
Its more correctly fixed by tightening the allen headed capscrew that allows it to rotate, as well as hold it firmly in one place. It rotates to allow different width front sight posts...4 , 4.5, and 5 mm. When this is tightened using the correct force, it will not loosen, and loctite or any similar product will not be needed.
The only issue I have had is that the rear sight doesn't seem to want to come off. When I try to loosen the screw on the side I've actually twisted two very good quality allen keys trying to loosen it. I don't know if they Loctited it or something

When the pistols are initially assembled at the factory, the front sight retaining screw is firmlly tightened, causing a small burr on the side of the round front sight. If you wrap some masking tape around the sight, and carefully rotate it with a pair of pliers, the burr will be wiped away, and you will then be able to rotate, and even remove the sight post. Careful re-tightening to a pressure that stops the screw from loosening during firing, but not too tight to re-burr the post will correct all problems.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

deadeyedick wrote:
Its more correctly fixed by tightening the allen headed capscrew that allows it to rotate, as well as hold it firmly in one place. It rotates to allow different width front sight posts...4 , 4.5, and 5 mm. When this is tightened using the correct force, it will not loosen, and loctite or any similar product will not be needed.
The only issue I have had is that the rear sight doesn't seem to want to come off. When I try to loosen the screw on the side I've actually twisted two very good quality allen keys trying to loosen it. I don't know if they Loctited it or something

When the pistols are initially assembled at the factory, the front sight retaining screw is firmlly tightened, causing a small burr on the side of the round front sight. If you wrap some masking tape around the sight, and carefully rotate it with a pair of pliers, the burr will be wiped away, and you will then be able to rotate, and even remove the sight post. Careful re-tightening to a pressure that stops the screw from loosening during firing, but not too tight to re-burr the post will correct all problems.

Dick I'm aware how the front sight works, if you read the posts we are talking about the rear sight that is removed by loosening the screw on the right side of the pistol. On mine it is basically impossible to loosen by hand with an allen key, hence why I think they (Walther) might have used a thread locking compound on it. I don't think anyone here has mentioned anything about the front sight. I know mine works just fine, I didn't need pliers or anything else to change it.

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately it's for the wrong part. Or maybe its an Australian thing, in the rest of the world the rear sight is the one on the back ;) maybe its like the toilet bowl swirl thing.
Last edited by Richard H on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

nice closeline