Butt pad orientation for prone

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Gnr527

Butt pad orientation for prone

Post by Gnr527 »

I shoot an Anschutz right handed and cant the rifle approx 6 to 10 degrees to help with eyeing the rearsight. The other week I shifted the butt pad to the right to push the butt in towards my chest and canted the pad on the butt plate to achieve cant without pulling it with my hand(ie bottom of the pad to the left).

An international coach, on checking the alignment, suggested I alter the pad so the top was central to the top of the butt plate (and rifle butt) and the pad bottom was angled to the right(from behind). This seemed to me to be counteractive to my desire to cant.

On shooting a couple of cards I found I had to exert pressure with my trigger hand to achieve cant, but found it did seem to tighten my position and, insofar as two cards are an indication, did show no decrease in scoring.

The coach said that with a hook I would find the position even better!

Any comments gratefully received.

John
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I confess to being curious about a couple of points you make in your post:
I found I had to exert pressure with my trigger hand to achieve cant, but found it did seem to tighten my position
I have some difficulty in seeing how inducing a twisting force with your right hand is desirable. I usually try and explain the right hand grip in a similar manner to that for pistol, the grip acting along the axis of the rifle.
The coach said that with a hook I would find the position even better!
From that I presume that you are shooting standing, as in prone or kneeling the hook would normally act only as a locating device and not play and active role in maintaining the butt position. If it is the case that you are in the standing position I find the pressure applied by the right hand even more difficult to understand.

I have just read the title of the thread again and see that you are indeed asking about the prone position so some of what I wrote in the preceding paragraph is not strictly relevant

However there may be something I have missed or misunderstood, or others may have a different take on this technique. Did you mention to your coach that you were having to apply pressure to achieve the required cant angle?

Rutty
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

Rutty

I am pretty old but young at this prone business.

As I said I couldnt see the logic - with regard to the tightening the only thing I could think of was that the new pad position ensured a tight butt grip(to stabalise cant) whereas I previously had not been maintaining a firm grip!

All contributions gratefully received.

John

Post by Guest »

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue with canting and would like some feedback on which way to adjust the vertical bar which holds in place the hook and allows it to move upwards and downwards. I have an issue in kneeling that the rifle starts to cant naturally away from me (the crossbars in the front sight dip down and to the right).

I have an Anschutz hook and am looking to compensate for this. If I keep the top of vertical bar which allows the hook move up and down somewhat in a centered straight position, in which direction will I need to move the bottom of the vertical bar so that the rifle will cant into to me (down and to the left while looking through the cross hairs)?

Thanks all!

Peter
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Peter,
If you have a complete Anschutz free rifle butthook assembly you should be able to unscrew the top screw on the PLATE behind the 'vertical bar' you are speaking of. Then you would want to push the plate that the vertical bar sits on away from you, so that the rifle cants towards you while the bar/hook stays more vertical. If you give a little more detail on your rifle I might be able to help you further. You can do a couple of things with your position to help, but ideally you want to fit the rifle to your position.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Rutty states, the butt hook should be doing nothing and not touching your body - it should sit under the arm pit in a neutral position. My buttplate - stock alignment is '\' pattern - i.e. top of buttplate towards the body, butt hook away from the body. It obviously depends on your build and body shape.

You also do not want to be applying forces with the trigger hand, that will lead to problems and inconsistencies. The trigger hand should more or less just rest on the pistol grip in a neutral position.

I'm also struggling to work out why you cant. It would appear that tilting the buttplate around will overcome the need to cant and again if you can get rid of cant that will generally help you.

Rob.
robf

Post by robf »

RobStubbs wrote: I'm also struggling to work out why you cant. It would appear that tilting the buttplate around will overcome the need to cant and again if you can get rid of cant that will generally help you.

Rob.
I'm wondering if that's why the butt has been rotated, to bring the sights over to the shooter and the rifle upright. Instead of rotating the whole rifle along the barrel axis to get just the sights over.