Proper size for Rink grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Proper size for Rink grips

Post by Guest »

Hi there!

I'm about to order a new grip for my AW93. The thing is taking this measurement between the knuckles. Everytime I tried it I get different readings ranging from 93mm to 98mm. Would that be an "L" or an "XL" size? I contacted Thomas Rink by e-mail but he seems a bit slow when it comes to answering his correspondence.

All your suggestions will be welcome! :)
dixon

Re: Proper size for Rink grips

Post by dixon »

Anonymous wrote:Hi there!

I'm about to order a new grip for my AW93. The thing is taking this measurement between the knuckles. Everytime I tried it I get different readings ranging from 93mm to 98mm. Would that be an "L" or an "XL" size? I contacted Thomas Rink by e-mail but he seems a bit slow when it comes to answering his correspondence.

I think you are looking at a Medium or Large if the grip has the adjustable palm shelf that the other anatomical rink grips have.

From my experiance on my TOZ-35 the width quoted for Medium is 90 mm but on the grips I have that is the minimum adjusted width and the grips have a total adjustment range of about 10 mm. So the medium TOZ-35 grip adjusts from 90 mm to 100 mm palm width.

From Rink web page

"adjustable palm rest

The new palm rest of our grips allows you to adjust exactly the grip width, with your hand in the grip.

To adjust the palm rest, loosen the clamping screw on the left side of the grip about a quarter turn.

With the two set screws on the underside of the grip you can then adjust the palm rest as desired.

Front and rear can be adjusted individually by max. 5 millimeter up or down from the middle (total: 10 millimeter)"

So I think you want Medium or Large size

I would have been nice if Rink had specified the adjustment range for each size grip rather than what is either the adjustment mid point or the minimum width.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Yes, he is sometimes slow to react because his business is going well !

What you can do is draw your hand on a piece of paper (paper with 5mm square background), scan it and send it to Rink by mail.

Another possibility is to try a pistol with a Morini grip (Morini, Steyr... pistols) and then choose the Rink size based on the Morini grip size knowing that the Rink grips are sligthly smaller than the Morini.

You can of course also try any other pistol with a Rink grip since the size is the same for all pistol types.

If you really are between L and XL, I would advise to go for XL because as said, Rink grips are sligthly small for their size and a too small grip is a real problem while you can always file a sligthly too large grip (the palm shelf is the minor aspect of the grip size, the most important is the volume of the grip that should fit to the hand size, a too small grip won't provide a good control of the pistol).

Note that the size is not the only parameter to choose, Rink grips have three other parameters to help you adjust the grip to your hand.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your replies! :)

I measured several times the distance between my knuckles and it seems to be somewhere between 92.52 and 94.00 millimeters. Therefore, my question is, is the size "L"=95mm the one I should pick up? Or in other words, is that 95mm the minimum, medium, or maximum width for the "L" sized grip?
Limator

Post by Limator »

jipe wrote:

Yes, he is sometimes slow to react because his business is going well !

What you can do is draw your hand on a piece of paper (paper with 5mm square background), scan it and send it to Rink by mail.

Another possibility is to try a pistol with a Morini grip (Morini, Steyr... pistols) and then choose the Rink size based on the Morini grip size knowing that the Rink grips are sligthly smaller than the Morini.

You can of course also try any other pistol with a Rink grip since the size is the same for all pistol types.

If you really are between L and XL, I would advise to go for XL because as said, Rink grips are sligthly small for their size and a too small grip is a real problem while you can always file a sligthly too large grip (the palm shelf is the minor aspect of the grip size, the most important is the volume of the grip that should fit to the hand size, a too small grip won't provide a good control of the pistol).

Note that the size is not the only parameter to choose, Rink grips have three other parameters to help you adjust the grip to your hand.
I have one on my Steyr LP10 and totally agree with jipe that it is a little smaller than the others from the same size.
Although it is a nice gripe.
[]´s

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your input, buddies! :)

I guess I'll go with an "L" Rink grip since they seem to have the best reputation--as in better than Nill and Morini grips. Also, this "L" sized grip should provide enough accomodation for hand swelling in summer.
arjuna70

Post by arjuna70 »

Is it better to order directly from Rink or from Larry's Guns in Maine. I'm not sure there is any difference in price, is there a difference in delivery time? I wanted to order one for my Walther GSP Expert.

Post by Guest »

Thomas Rink should dispatch my new grip by March 31st.

Hope this helps.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Anonymous wrote:Thomas Rink should dispatch my new grip by March 31st.

Hope this helps.
Each Rink grip I bought was shipped exactly at the announced date !
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

Mine was also delivered at the announced date.
One funny thing tough, I ordered the excact same size grips and same parameters for my Pardini sp22 and for my Steyr Lp10. But the sizes do actually differ a bit, the Lp10 is slightly smaller and needed some work to fit my hand. So it could be a good idea to order it on the bigeer side of the scale.
But beautiful grips and lovely fit once i fiddled a bit with them.

Post by Guest »

Good to know! :)

Just curious, what differences in gripping did you notice after installing Rink grips on your Pardini and Steyr pistols?
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

Anonymous wrote:Good to know! :)

Just curious, what differences in gripping did you notice after installing Rink grips on your Pardini and Steyr pistols?
Well, lets see.
i have spent some years working on the grips of my Pardini and never getting satisfied with how my hand stuck to the grips after every shot.
In the end i got a god grip, and discovered by accidence that it was quite similar to the Rink grips in its shape.

So after innstalling the Rink grip and adjusting a couple of spots, the grip now sits firmly in my hand, even in rapid fire. And i also noticed that it was much easier to get the same "grip" every time i used the pistol.
It should be noted that i got the laminated grips, and the texture seem to suck my hand in to the grip.
The same thing with the Steyr, apart from the hand not moving between shots.
It also fills my hand much better than any other grip i have tried out of the box.
I will try and see if i can get some pictures of it later.[/img]
not Guest, but Guest 2

Grip Size

Post by not Guest, but Guest 2 »

Anonymous wrote:

I guess I'll go with an "L" Rink grip since they seem to have the best reputation--as in better than Nill and Morini grips. Also, this "L" sized grip should provide enough accomodation for hand swelling in summer.
I'd like to know how they fit you when they arrive. I measure at 93mm and am considering a set. I think I need Large, but am not certain if concave or flat would be better for my hand.

I also need a new grip for a Hammerli 152. But again, size matters.

Post by Guest »

Thank you, Kanedal! :) Those pictures will certainly be appreciated! :)

For Guest2, done deal. I'll report back here on the forum when I get my Rink grip. As a suggestion, try drawing an outline of your hand besides taking a few pics of your hand then send it all to Thomas Rink. He'll provide you with the right grip. But he seems rather busy so he answers his e-mail once or twice a day only.

Post by Guest »

I got my Rink grip today. The quality and workmanship is great. The fit to the pistol is perfect. It feels a lot better than the factory Feinwerkbau AW93 grip, but there are a few areas in the grip that let me believe that perhaps this "XL" grip is slightly too bit for me. Please, see the attatched pictures. Click each picture to make them full size.

Other than the areas shown above the grip feels great and the hand seems fully supported with no "air pockets". Also, I can reach the trigger perfectly well.

I've done some dry firing where I've seen I can keep the front sight so much steadier now.

Post by Guest »

I'd like to know how they fit you when they arrive. I measure at 93mm and am considering a set. I think I need Large, but am not certain if concave or flat would be better for my hand.
I guess you will need a concave grip unless you struggle to reach the trigger. But I suggest you contacting Thomas Rink for a better, more accurate, answer.

My "XL" grip fits great and there's no air pockets. But there's some areas on the grip that let me believe that this grip is perhaps slightly too big for me. On the other hand, there's the risk of having air pockets with the "L" size. I guess the best answer would be to try both grips.

Post by Guest »

That XL grip ended up being too large. While it's a lot more comfortable than the factory FWB grip, I had to move the palm shelf all the way up, but it's not yet comfortable enough. It seems like this grip was made for a rather fat hand while mine are all skin and bones.

Now I need Thomas Rink to replace my grip... I'll keep you updated on how this works out.
Guest 2, Not Guest

Rink Grip Size

Post by Guest 2, Not Guest »

Thanks for keeping us filled in on this. Sounds like I should go with the large grip.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Anonymous wrote:I got my Rink grip today. The quality and workmanship is great. The fit to the pistol is perfect. It feels a lot better than the factory Feinwerkbau AW93 grip, but there are a few areas in the grip that let me believe that perhaps this "XL" grip is slightly too bit for me. Please, see the attatched pictures. Click each picture to make them full size.

Other than the areas shown above the grip feels great and the hand seems fully supported with no "air pockets". Also, I can reach the trigger perfectly well.

I've done some dry firing where I've seen I can keep the front sight so much steadier now.
There should be no gap on top of your hand:

Post by Guest »

You're right JIPE. That's why I sent back that grip and Thomas should be sending me a new "L" grip later in the next week. Now I just hope "L" is the correct size for my hand.