ISSF Grades Mens 25m Sport Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Scotty

ISSF Grades Mens 25m Sport Pistol

Post by Scotty »

Can someone please let me know the grade scores for the 25m Mens Sport pistol?

Cheers
Scotty
Alexander

Re: ISSF Grades Mens 25m Sport Pistol

Post by Alexander »

Scotty wrote:Can someone please let me know the grade scores for the 25m Mens Sport pistol?
Am a bit at a loss to understand. I know that some countries' associations have internal gradings, but I am not aware of any comprehensive ISSF rules. For South African (SAPA) grading, see here:

http://www.samarksman.co.za/sapa/SAPA%2 ... 202007.pdf

Alexander
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Scotty wrote:Can someone please let me know the grade scores for the 25m Mens Sport pistol?

Cheers
Scotty
25M (sport) pistol is only a womens and junior mens event. For senior men it's replaced with centrefire.

Rob.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

RobStubbs wrote:25M (sport) pistol is only a womens and junior mens event. For senior men it's replaced with centrefire.
On national level, it is a (senior) men's event in many countries. And where it exists, far more popular than ISSF standard pistol or centrefire pistol.

Alexander
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Pretty sure that as far as the ISSF are concerned men's sport pistol doesn't exist.

Many countries shoot it however.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Sorry I forgot to mention I am in Australia.

It has been shot here for a while, but I couldnt find the grades anywhere online.

I shoot for fun, and dont find reloading centrefire much fun at all.

Also saves me buying yet another gun too.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

In Australia:
- Mens 'Sport' is only shot at club competitions. As far as I know it is not part of any zone or state competitions.
- Clubs normally use the same grade structure as for Womens 25M
j-team

Post by j-team »

Here in New Zealand we let the girlie men shoot it in competitions. We use the same grading as for the women.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Spencer wrote:In Australia:
- Mens 'Sport' is only shot at club competitions. As far as I know it is not part of any zone or state competitions.
The event was shot at the 2009 World Masters Games in Sydney.

Its not a girlie event. It saves time in reloading for those that have better things to do, and saves buying a gun which is only used in one event.
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Scotty wrote:

Its not a girlie event. It saves time in reloading for those that have better things to do, and saves buying a gun which is only used in one event.
Yes Scott,

Mens Sport was shot at the World Masters Games in Sydney, but that doesnt mean much. It was just an additional event that was available to the Men at the Masters (maybe to cater for the international shooters, I dont know). I was at the Masters games, and only entered Sport for fun.

Technically it is a "girlie" event, as it is actually a Womens 25m Match, and the men have Centrefire Match. As for the reloading and having to buy another gun, you dont need to reload if you dont want to, there is factory ammo you can buy!!! Having a centrefire gun also allows you to shoot another event at State and National level, and depending on what gun you buy if can also be used for Service, WA1500, IPSC and Action Match.

To me, I want to enjoy my sport and I dont mind spending money on guns or reloading a couple hours every 6 months. Its not like I shoot centrefire matches twice a week...

Spencer, As I dont know how the CMPC do their smaller events yet regarding Mens Sport (but will be doing more this year), I nkow the Southern Zone always had Mens Sport for their Zone and Open shoots. Mind you, that was 15 years ago when I was a junior, so who knows these days.

Cheers
Brad
David M

Post by David M »

If it is a ' Technically it is a "girlie" event ' does that mean we can never make 'Master' grade...... or maybe it should be 'Mistress' grade...
I wonder...!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think the above would suggest that it will only ever be country specific, as are grades anyway. Ask your own governing body is the best way to go.

Rob.
Alexander

Men's .22 sport pistol

Post by Alexander »

brakarzac wrote:Technically it is a "girlie" event, as it is actually a Womens 25m Match, and the men have Centrefire Match.
Well, I will not (yet) go into the old debate of gendered or sexist competitions. Though it remains to be asked why some disciplines remain entirely one-gender, while others are open to both in different classes.

Anyhow, it serves to remind that rapid fire is dying everywhere (in spite of the calibre change from .22 short to .22 lr), and that centre fire is totally anorexic. Whereas sports pistol, where it *is* opened to men, is by far the most popular cartridge pistol discipline.

I would not be extremely sorry if rapid fire were replaced in the Olympic Games by men's sport pistol. It would be only be consequent by various standards:
- economic range use
- popular with athletes
- ambi-gendered
- suitable for finals

Yes, I wold be happy if any "lost" discipline in the Olympics were replaced by another (such as ISSF standard pistol), but I do not think that this is likely.

Regards,
Alexander
Nev C

Unique to Australia

Post by Nev C »

The big problem here in Australia is the very restrictive conditions for new pistol shooters. Men are handicapped because they are male. A new shooter can only possess an air pistol and either a .22 or a c/f pistol in the first 12 months of holding a licence.
This is no handicap to female shooters, as they can compete in all women's matches with a .22 and an air pistol.
Men however face a problem, if they elect to buy an air pistol and a .22 they cannot compete in c/f matches, and again if they buy an air pistol and a c/f pistol they are restricted even further.
Maybe all matches, including state and national, should have men's s/p for male shooters in the first 12 months of their licence.
I think it is very unfair that women have no restrictions from day one but men do.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Scotty wrote:

Whoa!

I never said it was a "...girlie event..."
Indeed, I was more than proud of being (unofficial) Master grade in 'sport' back in those days when I could shoot scores at 580+ with rimfire
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Sorry Spencer,

I was quoting the post above yours too.

No offence intended.

Cheers,
Scotty
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Alexander wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:25M (sport) pistol is only a womens and junior mens event. For senior men it's replaced with centrefire.
On national level, it is a (senior) men's event in many countries. And where it exists, far more popular than ISSF standard pistol or centrefire pistol.

Alexander
I ran a match at our club this past weekend, and one of our courses of fire is Sport Pistol. We cannot shoot International Center Fire on our backstops, so Sport Pistol is the only option for this course of fire. Women, Junior Women and Junior Men shoot it and have their scores turned into USAS.

We also allow adult men to shoot it within our "club match". They shoot just for fun, and their scores don't go anywhere. The overwhelming response from the men was they really liked the course and wished it was a sanctioned event. I personally think sanctioning this event, in the USA, for adult men would be a good way to bring more people into the sport. And, that's never a bad thing.

Stan
brakarzac

Re: Men's .22 sport pistol

Post by brakarzac »

Alexander wrote:
Anyhow, it serves to remind that rapid fire is dying everywhere (in spite of the calibre change from .22 short to .22 lr), and that centre fire is totally anorexic. Whereas sports pistol, where it *is* opened to men, is by far the most popular cartridge pistol discipline.

I would not be extremely sorry if rapid fire were replaced in the Olympic Games by men's sport pistol. It would be only be consequent by various standards:
- economic range use
- popular with athletes
- ambi-gendered
- suitable for finals

Alexander
Whats wrong with Rapid Fire?
The biggest problem I find with Rapid Fire is most shooters dont understand or get the time to shoot Rapid, becuase the majority just want to shoot Sport or Standard.

Rapid fire is a brilliant match, and really pushes the shooter to be fast and accurate, expecially the 4sec string.

Mens sport is a fun match, but I much prefer Centrefire.

Cheers
Brad
Last edited by brakarzac on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The problem with Rapid Fire is the actual rapid fire bays to shoot it on, they are rare here in Ontario Canada.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:The problem with Rapid Fire is the actual rapid fire bays to shoot it on, they are rare here in Ontario Canada.
That's not a problem with the match itself, it's a problem with people not being prepared to put the targetry in.