2010 National Metric Position and Prone Championships

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

2010 National Metric Position and Prone Championships

Post by Guest »

The NRA announced the inauguration of these championships some months ago, but further information has yet to be posted on the NRA website. Does anybody know the status of these matches?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

This from a Dec 2009 NRA Competitions Div. E-News email:

Excitement is building as the NRA Staff readies for the first 2010 National Metric Position and Prone Championships. The National Metric Championship will feature a Three-Position Championship and a Metric Prone Championship contested in July 2010. These Championships will be fired over two days each using metallic and any sights.

Located just off Interstate 80, and about three hours from Camp Perry, the Wa-Ke-Da Range in Bristol, IN features a 100 point asphalt covered firing line. The range sits in a large grove of trees providing a beautiful setting and shelter from the wind. The range is ideal for metric competition.

Competitors who like to camp will have plenty of opportunity with a KOA Camp ground located just a mile away from the range and, in addition, the range has 20 RV hookups to support twenty early birds. Competitors who want to stay in a motel or hotel do not need to look very far for a place to stay. There are a few motels located about two miles from the range in Bristow and about 15 miles away in Elkhart, IN, there are plenty of hotels and motels.

There are also many restaurants in the area to support the competitors and staff. Food service will be offered at the range for folks who want something to eat during the day.

The Position and Prone Team Championships will have a different twist. The teams will be made up of two shooters. The team matches will be a "paper match" with the scores coming from the Individual Championships. A Metric Team Champion and an Any Sight Team Champion will be awarded for position and prone. There will also be a National Metric Position Team Champion and a Metric Prone Team Champion whose scores will come from both the Metallic Sights and the Any Sights Team Championships.

Tournament Program is planned to be ready in March in time to begin accepting registrations beginning April 1, 2010. When a competitor or a coach calls to register and pays the tournament fee they will be given their squadding and a confirmation will be sent to them in the mail. Only 200 competitors will be accepted for the Position Championship and 200 competitors for the Prone Championship will be accepted due to range limitations.

More information will become available in 2010. Right now, the NRA Staff is planning the tournament details and working with the Championship Sponsor to get specials at the local hotels and motels for the competitors. Keep watching for more information as it becomes available.
metermatch

Metric matches

Post by metermatch »

Sure would be nice if these matches could coincide with someone travelling to Perry for the prone championship to also shoot these matches?????

Jeff
TomN

Post by TomN »

My understanding is that the matches are scheduled for the week before Perry, but I have no confirmation of that.

Post by Guest »

The NRA Competitive Shooting Division sent out an email blast today, again failing to give the dates when the Championships will be contested. Here it is, if anybody is interested.

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules_imag ... cChamp.pdf

Is anybody at home at NRA headquarters????
TomN

Post by TomN »

Did anybody on this forum participate in this championship? Can you give a summary of the match, especially how many shooters attended? I couldn't find anything posted on the NRA website yet.
Buckeye

Metric National

Post by Buckeye »

The 3P Championship was contested Saturday and Sunday. Abby Fong is the National Champion, she also won the Metallic Sight Championship. Jeff Doerschler won the Any Sight Championship and was second Overall. There were 19 competitors. The weather was excellent, mid to upper 80's, clear on Saturday, and partly cloudy on Sunday. Conditions overall both days were quite favorable, even though the wind became tricky as each day progressed. There was only one relay, so we were done shooting by 1 o'clock.
The NRA did an excellent job, and the awards were amazing!
TomN

Post by TomN »

Buckeye: Thanks for the report. I had hoped to attend, but things did not work out. I hope that low participation (19 competitors in a National Championship) doesn't cause NRA to forego the competition in the future. Perhaps if it were contested at a different time, not so close to Camp Perry, more shooters would attend.

Thanks again.
WRC

Thanks for the update

Post by WRC »

Wow, only 19 competitors? Weren't they advertising a firing line of 100 points or so?

I'm with Tom, if it were more spaced out from Perry 3P, I'd have loved to go there. But logistics prevent me from taking a week and a half and going to both. And honestly it would be nice to recuperate from the one before hauling out to do the other! It's also incredibly hard to carpool club shooters to THIS if someone from the group is going on to Ohio.

Any discussions there about the timing versus Perry?
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

I hate seeing such a low turn out.
As a metric regional it was pulling in a respectable number of shooters.
I suspect the timing was not the problem through obviously would be for some shooters.
I suspect the economy can be looked at. I have been wanting to shoot this match for the last couple years as it was then a regional, but work has gotten in the way. This years entry fees (though necessary for a national match) discouraged me. As a part-time competitor I would still prefer to shoot it's prone match over Camp Perry's.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Is the A-50 target identical to the ISSF 50 metre target? Everything I can find says it is, but I just wanted to double check.

Jason
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

I have been told it is the same scoring ring dimensions, but I'll let someone else get out the two rules books to compare spec.
I am sure I've seen older NRA targets marked as UIT.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

Post by Guest »

Is this the link to the Metric Championship? All I can find are results from Camp Perry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/champ3.asp#2
[/quote]