.32 S&W Load advise

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brakarzac

.32 S&W Load advise

Post by brakarzac »

Hi,

I am currently using a ew Walther GSP Expert, and has previousl been loading 1.2gr of WST behind a cast lead 98gr HBWC.

I am interested to hear if anyone has any load data for ISSF Centrefire using Bullseye powder and the same projectile.

WST is hard to get, and I have a couple pounds of Bullseye sitting in my safe at home.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brad
Alex L

32 Load advice

Post by Alex L »

Hi Brad,

I think your load is very low. Most shooters that I know use 1.6 for that gun shooting at 25metres, with WST powder.

The velocity works out at about 700, which is very close to a lapua factory load.

You did not say whether your projectiles are waxed or dry lubricant, which would make a difference.

I have an old GSP 32 and I use 1.5, and I produce quite good results at 25 m.

Also it is important to know your barrel size. There are 3 different sizes of projectile - 312, 313, and 314. Find out which size you require.
If you have time to go to the range, bench test your ammo using 10 rounds each time. Don't forget to clean the barrel after each 10 shots (put the brush right through.)

Remember, the quality is more important than the quantity. (Some people use auto loads, which will have a different reading if you are concerned about precision shooting.)

Let me know how you go.
Alex L.
Leon

Post by Leon »

For my .32 Manurhin Match, I use 1.7 gr Bullseye with a 98gr .314 waxed Taipan HBWC projectile. Perfect...
Spencer

Re: .32 S&W Load advise

Post by Spencer »

brakarzac wrote:Hi,

I am currently using a ew Walther GSP Expert, and has previousl been loading 1.2gr of WST behind a cast lead 98gr HBWC.

I am interested to hear if anyone has any load data for ISSF Centrefire using Bullseye powder and the same projectile.

WST is hard to get, and I have a couple pounds of Bullseye sitting in my safe at home.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Brad
is that the 'old' Bullseye, or the 'new?

I am running 1.5grains of the 'old' Bullseye behind .314" 98grain HNWC in my GSP
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

Hey Spencer,
I have new Bullseye powder, and just ordered projectiles from H C Vanetten (Bullzi) in Vic.

I dont have time to wait for Ray Gray's projectiles with Nationals just around the corner.

Cheers

Brad
Last edited by brakarzac on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
brakarzac

Re: 32 Load advice

Post by brakarzac »

Alex L wrote:Hi Brad,

I think your load is very low. Most shooters that I know use 1.6 for that gun shooting at 25metres, with WST powder.

The velocity works out at about 700, which is very close to a lapua factory load.

You did not say whether your projectiles are waxed or dry lubricant, which would make a difference.

I have an old GSP 32 and I use 1.5, and I produce quite good results at 25 m.

Also it is important to know your barrel size. There are 3 different sizes of projectile - 312, 313, and 314. Find out which size you require.
If you have time to go to the range, bench test your ammo using 10 rounds each time. Don't forget to clean the barrel after each 10 shots (put the brush right through.)

Remember, the quality is more important than the quantity. (Some people use auto loads, which will have a different reading if you are concerned about precision shooting.)

Let me know how you go.
Alex L.
Hi Alex,

I have been advised that the barrel is a .314, and as such thats the projectile size I have been using. I dont know if the projectiles have any lube as they feel very dry when loading. They FEEL nothing like the sort of projectiles I ran through my IPSC gun.

I have tried to get some testing on a ransom rest, but the range I use doesnt have a Walther insert unfortunately. I will knock up some test loads this weekend though, and put through this weekend as I want something ready for Nationals.

CHeers

Brad
David M

from the magic book of chronograph figures

Post by David M »

from the magic book of chronograph figures

Target loads for .32 sw long with a 98 Grain LEAD Wadcutter
VV N310 1.1 gr. 618 fps (Start)
VV N310 1.3 gr. 691 fps MAX (640 fps in a Walther)
Bullseye (Old) 1.5 gr. 710 fps
Bullseye (New) 1.6 gr. 715 fps
Bullseye (Max) 2.2 gr. 780 fps (for 50yds- use with extreme care)
Unique 2.2 gr. 730 fps
Unique 2.7 gr. 775 fps Max
WST 1.5 gr. 664 fps
WST 1.6 gr. 699 fps
W231 1.9 gr. 725 fps
Trailboss 1.6 gr. 673 fps

You should load down about 10% from a Max load.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

After a lot of experimenting, I found that 1.2 grains of VV using Malcolm Bones Taipan 98 grn. HBWC produced an intensley accurate and easy to handle load.
My experience with Bullzi projectiles was that their weight variation was all over the place, and no two bullets landed in the same place, whereas Taipan were almost identical in weight, and followed one another like laser beams.
brakarzac

Re: from the magic book of chronograph figures

Post by brakarzac »

David M wrote:from the magic book of chronograph figures

Target loads for .32 sw long with a 98 Grain LEAD Wadcutter
VV N310 1.1 gr. 618 fps (Start)
VV N310 1.3 gr. 691 fps MAX (640 fps in a Walther)
Bullseye (Old) 1.5 gr. 710 fps
Bullseye (New) 1.6 gr. 715 fps
Bullseye (Max) 2.2 gr. 780 fps (for 50yds- use with extreme care)
Unique 2.2 gr. 730 fps
Unique 2.7 gr. 775 fps Max
WST 1.5 gr. 664 fps
WST 1.6 gr. 699 fps
W231 1.9 gr. 725 fps

You should load down about 10% from a Max load.
Thanks David,

time for some load testing now...

Cheers
Brad
brakarzac

Post by brakarzac »

deadeyedick wrote:After a lot of experimenting, I found that 1.2 grains of VV using Malcolm Bones Taipan 98 grn. HBWC produced an intensley accurate and easy to handle load.
My experience with Bullzi projectiles was that their weight variation was all over the place, and no two bullets landed in the same place, whereas Taipan were almost identical in weight, and followed one another like laser beams.
I made enquiries regarding the Taipan projectiles, but some local club members told me they were no longer aailable which is why I went toward the Bullzi projectiles.

Cheers
Brad
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

brakarzac wrote:...I made enquiries regarding the Taipan projectiles, but some local club members told me they were no longer aailable which is why I went toward the Bullzi projectiles.

Cheers
Brad
1/ David Moore's figures for the 'old' v 'new' Bullseye mirror my experience - the original producer's powder was that smidgen hotter than the current manufacturer's. Luckily I am still holding about holding 5kg of the original and it still works like a dream.

2/ Hank seems to have had problems with the Bullzi projectiles many years ago (when the skirt was thinner than now), but given my druthers, I would opt for Bullzi over Taipan.

3/ As David M and I (and others) have said before, it's those flyers that will cruel the .32s. Testing should be 50+ shots for grouping - 5 or 10 shot groups may be interesting, but the match is 60 + sighters
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Glad to hear Bullzi have a "new" version, as I wasn't a fan of the of the "old". However, in fairness, this was some years ago.

Post by 220 »

brakarzac wrote: I made enquiries regarding the Taipan projectiles, but some local club members told me they were no longer aailable which is why I went toward the Bullzi projectiles.

Cheers
Brad
Brad
It seems to be the case, I have contacted Taipan half dozen times about ordering 20,000+ projectiles and have yet to recieve any sort of reply.
Hank on the other hand might be a bit slow at times but always gets back to you and gives an expected delivery time.
DavidM wrote:from the magic book of chronograph figures

David

Interesting that you have tried trailboss. Did the increase bulk per grain and possibly better metering appeal or was it just experimenting for experimentation sake. Was 1.6gr max case capacity.

I have played with trailboss in the 38 with bullzi projectiles with good results.
The only problem I've encountered with the bullzi projectiles in the 38 has been leading. Seems to be swarf caught in the lube striations that causes the problem.
Spencers sujestion of washing in white spirits and relubeing with liquid alox has worked great.
Thanks Spencer.

Bullzi's are available with a dry black lube which eliminates the leading problem. A few at the club have done some experimenting with them out of a Korth and ransome rest. The wax lube projectiles seem to produce slightly better accuracy but only talking a few mm.

deadeyedick wrote:Glad to hear Bullzi have a "new" version, as I wasn't a fan of the of the "old". However, in fairness, this was some years ago.
Might be worth giving the bullzi a try if your supply of Taipan dries up.
I know the pic is of group with bullzi 38 148gr HBWC not 32's but does show projectile quality isn't the limiting factor given they were loaded on a lee pro 1000 and shot from a stock 686 over a sandbag rest. 2.7gr Trailboss.
I'm sure with a ransome rest or better shooter they would hold the X ring.
Attachments
001.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

The Trailboss load's started with .38 service pistol power factor loads.
By nearly filling the case I could eliminate the difference from having powder at the front of the case or the back of the case. (No arguments when it came to competition chronograph testing.)
After seeing the very low extreme spreads and standard deviations I tried it for .32 as well. (No good for 9mm case is too small.)
For .32 sw long a full case with a 98g HBWC is approx 2.3g
However, the best group and feel was 1.6g.

1.6g Traiboss was High 699 fps, Low 670 fps, Av 673, ES 33, SD 9
1.8g - 710 fps
2.0g - 724 fps
2.2g - 74o fps

PS. A .38 case with a 140g SWC a full case is 5.2 g.
My service load is now 5.0g and factors at 124.
BorzoiDad

98 vs 89 grain

Post by BorzoiDad »

All of the responses have been concerning the 98 grain WC.

Lapua makes an 89 grain (I think this is right, I don't want to go out to check). Has anyone tried these? What is the general opinion of lighter weight bullets?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

It's a 83grs HBWC, and yes, I did and it does shoot great. Getting excellent results from my (our) MG4, very slight muzzle jump (they seem to be graphite powder coated, or something like that - no grease but black fingers) and good groups.