how to grip properly

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tallahassee

how to grip properly

Post by tallahassee »

What is the proper way of gripping pistol when using an anatomic grip?

There are two fulcrum points. The front is the middle section of 3rd and 4th finger, finger tips not involved on the side.

But how about on the back side? Is it mostly on the top of the V/ or U, or is it on the bottom meaty thenar prominence, closer to the wrist?

Which back side vise clamp force (the top or the bottom) would allow me better movement of my trigger finger? Not just any trigger finger movement, but trigger finger movement to pull straight back.

What is my trigger finger pull against? Is it the top V/U or the bottom meaty palm?
Wozzy

How to grip Properly

Post by Wozzy »

Attached is a PDF version of PowerPoint slides I use in coaching.

These are edited versions and not Hi resolution.

I hope they help.

Allan

www.pistol-shooting.com
Attachments
Trigger & Grip.pdf
(807.46 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Tallahassee

Post by Tallahassee »

Thank you very much for your pictorial explanation.

But on your thermogram of the gripping hand, it looks like both V and bottom meaty palm are both pretty red.

So back vice clamp pressure is along the entire back, not favoring top or bottom? or should I still favor the V section?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Tallahassee wrote:So back vice clamp pressure is along the entire back, not favoring top or bottom? or should I still favor the V section?
The pressure on the back of the grip should be directly opposing the pressure on the front. Anything else will increase the different handling characteristics if your grip pressure changes during a match.

It really therefore depends on how the grips have been made, how well they fit you and the direction of the force from the fingers.
Wozzy

Grip Properly

Post by Wozzy »

Yes, the front fingers apply rearward pressure into the 'V'. The darker shades indicate more pressure, or even pressure. Lighter shades just "hold" grip.

The main trick is to have consistent grip pressure and position for each shot or series of shots.

Allan
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

There is a muscle in the area between the thumb and trigger finger that moves when you move your finger. You can find it by pressing in that area with your other index finger while you move your trigger finger. I had to relieve that area for my .22 and favor the palm. Having too much material at the top caused my sights to move as I applied trigger pressure.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things