Olympic shooting in the news, NOT

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Olympic shooting in the news, NOT

Post by Guest »

--------

1- Guns Gone Missing

The lamestream media told you:

The Dept. of Homeland Security, run by Janet Napolitano, has lost nearly 300 firearms from 2006 to 2008, with some ending up in the hands of gangbangers, kids, felons, and other miscreants, according to USA Today.

The Uninvited Ombudsman notes however that:

This is not terribly surprising since all federal agencies lose guns on a regular basis. What is surprising was the revelation that the department has 190,000 guns, but only 185,000 workers. If you go through an airport or anywhere where these taxpayer-supported jihadi-resistance workers work, you know very few bear arms. That's a lot of guns for the limited percentage of DHS people that carry. The media talks about civilians stockpiling ammo, you have to wonder how much ammo DHS has stockpiled for the 190,000 guns we bought for them.

--------

2- Winter Olympics Shooting

Nothing.

The Winter Olympics in Vancouver has a target-shooting event, but the lamestream media has omitted it. Sadly, U.S. competitors were eliminated by bad weather, as this report from the National Shooting Sports Foundation outlines:

"Stinging sleet, snow and poor visibility took away any chance of winning the 10km biathlon sprint for American Tim Burke, a favorite to win a biathlon medal. The first biathletes to go off on Sunday skied and fired their rifles in a light rain, while those who went off later -- including Burke -- admittedly had no chance due to a sudden turn for the worse in the weather. 'The people starting in the middle of the pack had no chance today. Unfortunately, I was one of those,' Burke said."

More Olympic biathlon action followed with the men's 12.5km pursuit and the women's 10k pursuit. The .22 caliber 5-shot biathalon rifle is an alien-looking contraption and most marksmen have never seen anything like it. http://tinyurl.com/yl729wd

<http://lists.serverhost.net/admin/temp/ ... nRifle.jpg>

--------

3- More Olympic Shooting

Nothing again. This is getting old.

A rifle sold at auction -- five different times -- at a recent Wild Sheep Foundation convention netted $175,000 to help train American rifle, pistol and shotgun shooters for the 2012 Olympic Games. Auction proceeds go to USA Shooting, the official U.S. Olympic firearms training group.

Shooting sports are the number two consumer sport in the nation -- behind exercise (health clubs, home equipment, etc.) and ahead of golf (you've heard of golf, right). The media's gross bias is plainly evident in the amount of "news" coverage the shooting sports get, namely virtually zero. Even in the Olympics it barely gets any mention. The media digs its own grave by omitting news half the country would devour.
visitor

Post by visitor »

Please take your political rants elsewhere. By the way, biathlon is classified as a Nordic skiing - not a shooting - event. And as for the US competitor(s) being eliminated by bad weather, isn't that the luck of the draw with any outdoor sport?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

The Biathlon was actually on USA network in the afternoon here in PA and the announcers were very excited.

Post by Guest »

I have seen more biathalon coverage on tv than ever before. They showed at least some of every event. They even showed the shooting stages! Maybe it's a change for the better. It had to look bad on NBC that there were 6 medals won in the shooting events in Beijing and not a single bit of coverage.
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

visitor wrote:Please take your political rants elsewhere. By the way, biathlon is classified as a Nordic skiing - not a shooting - event. And as for the US competitor(s) being eliminated by bad weather, isn't that the luck of the draw with any outdoor sport?
You must work for the TV network? Ha ha.
Bill177

Watched some last week

Post by Bill177 »

I watched the shooting and skiing of the event last week. It was very well covered.

Post by Guest »

I concur with Visitor. Take your Political rants elsewhere. In fact, topics started like this one should be removed by the Moderator.

Let's discuss competitive pistol shooting.
lastman

Post by lastman »

It got pretty good coverage in Australia.

I watched it for quite a while.

Please POQ
RobStubbs

Re: Watched some last week

Post by RobStubbs »

Bill177 wrote:I watched the shooting and skiing of the event last week. It was very well covered.
I agree with that. Even here in the UK we've gotten to see plenty of biathlon, including plenty of shooting.

Rob.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

Anonymous wrote:I concur with Visitor. Take your Political rants elsewhere. In fact, topics started like this one should be removed by the Moderator.
How in the world do you interpret the post as a political rant? I don't see ANY mention of political parties or viewpoints, just a criticism of the media.

I guess if you assume that the "mainstream media" generally supports anti-gun viewpoints and politicians then you could argue that criticizing the media amounts to criticizing those politicians? Beyond that I don't see how you're making the connection.
lastman

Post by lastman »

With all this being said.

There is still the point that pistol shooting in general does receive very little (if any) tv coverage.

From my experience the media really just follows the money. In Australia they are making more money by showing a replay of a swimming event with no Australian's in it rather than show a shooting event. This is because they can sell swimming to advertisers.

If you want to see shooting on tv during the olympics, we need to support those will to advertise during the event. Also the ISSF needs to show that it is worthwhile advertising when shooting is being shown.

This is the same as what FINA and Swimming Australia did during the 1990's. However the best way to get coverage in Australia, USA & UK etc is to win medals.
Wiley-X

Post by Wiley-X »

visitor wrote:Please take your political rants elsewhere. By the way, biathlon is classified as a Nordic skiing - not a shooting - event.
So? It includes guns, that makes it shooting.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Wiley-X wrote:
visitor wrote:Please take your political rants elsewhere. By the way, biathlon is classified as a Nordic skiing - not a shooting - event.
So? It includes guns, that makes it shooting.
and it was very well covered in the USA on the NBC network. You had to stay up late at night to see it (well, after your local news after the primetime broadcast. I guess "late" differs with timezone! :^) But the coverage was outstanding, with closeups of the targets, and some cool slow motion of the bullets hitting or missing. Amazing that they gave it so much free (non-cable) air time considering the USA Team was not in medal contention.
Hemmers

Re: Olympic shooting in the news, NOT

Post by Hemmers »

Anonymous wrote: The .22 caliber 5-shot biathalon rifle is an alien-looking contraption and most marksmen have never seen anything like it. http://tinyurl.com/yl729wd
Really? You did have to find the weirdest, most exotic alu-carbonate biathlon rifle in existence didn't you?! Lol. I've seen standard target rifles with enough funky bits of aluminium, adjustable doohickeys and exotic paint jobs. It's not a biathlon thing!

Most look like short, lightweight regular rifles (with the exception of the less common Fortner action):
Linky

And yeah, we even got a little Biathlon coverage in the UK where shooting sports are swept under the carpet in hushed tones. Not too shabby given we only had one competitor so were only represented in one or two of the races, and he ranked in the 30s. Not newsworthy, but we got some coverage anyway :)
smoking357

Post by smoking357 »

Anonymous wrote:I concur with Visitor. Take your Political rants elsewhere. In fact, topics started like this one should be removed by the Moderator.
Nowhere will you find more distaste for free speech than in a gun forum.

I enjoyed the dude's post, and I find his enthusiasm healthy.
vin

Freedom of Speech...

Post by vin »

Freedom of Speech... includes voicing descent.
Vin Livieratos
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Come on Vin, freedom of speech only means for the speech that you agree with, just like those that scream about 2nd amendment rights but don't have a problem trampling over other peoples rights regarding everything else contained in the Constitution.
vin

Ya...

Post by vin »

Ya... history has many lessons in freedom of speech... or maybe the same one over and over again...
TCGun

Hilarious

Post by TCGun »

I love your first sentence, which sums up your (lack of) intelligence nicely:
The Dept. of Homeland Security, run by Janet Napolitano, has lost nearly 300 firearms from 2006 to 2008, with some ending up in the hands of gangbangers, kids, felons, and other miscreants, according to USA Today.
Janet Napolitano began working at DHS in January 2009. Looks like you need to find another excuse...

Re: Hilarious

Post by Guest »

TCGun wrote:I love your first sentence, which sums up your (lack of) intelligence nicely:
Janet Napolitano began working at DHS in January 2009. Looks like you need to find another excuse...
So.....this demonstrates a lack of intelligence in what way? Is there a factual error in what was written? Perhaps your comments reflect more on your reading comprehension skills rather than on the intelligence of the writer. Do you interpret the writer as stating that Napolitano ran DHS from 2006 to 2008? That is not what it says, and I had better stop here.