Steyr LP2 compact any good ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gerard

Steyr LP2 compact any good ?

Post by Gerard »

I'm considering to buy a Steyr LP2 compact with a match grip (not the ambidextrous one) as my first airpistol to start airpistol shooting. I'm attracted by its light weight (780 gram) and reasonable price while still having Steyr quality. Is this a good choice or should I start saving to buy a full size (and weight) airpistol like the LP10 ?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Gerard
kanedal

Post by kanedal »

I tried it when we were looking for a new AP for my girlfriend. It had the same accuracy as my LP10 and felt quite similar. A little shorter and lighter, but i liked it. Almost felt like a .22lr because of the short sight radius.
Think it would make a very good first AP.
Only downside i found was it´s smaller airtubes.
kevinw

steyr lp2 short

Post by kevinw »

Choosing a LP2 short would be excellent as a 'first' match pistol.

I have a FWB P34 short and I like it because of the less weight up front.

Also, I believe that an airpistol that has a shorter barrel has an advantage over the longer barrel because the pellet exits faster, thus allowing you to 'pull off' the shot more accurately. (within the 10 meter range of course.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kevin

Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I too agree with the other posters in that it would make an ideal first gun. In fact it makes an ideal gun full stop, it's just as capable as it's bigger brothers and a fair few international shooters use the smaller models. It's basically down to what feels right for you.

Rob.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

shorter barrel has an advantage over the longer barrel because the pellet exits faster

Not too sure about this one Kevin. The pellet speed of both the long and short barrel should both be the same [ 155-160 metres/sec. ]

However after owning both long and short barrel air pistols, I would also agree with the consensus that it would be an excellent choice.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Thanks for the feedback.

On short and long barrels : Kevin likely means that the speed of the pellet that leaves the barrel is probably about the same for a short or long barrel, but in a shorter barrel the pellet leaves the barrel a fraction of a second earlier than with a longer barrel. Hence in both cases the V0 velocity is the same but when a pellet spends less time in the barrel, any movement of the barrel will introduce less deviation in the trajectory of the pellet.

Regards,
Gerard
jipe

Post by jipe »

deadeyedick wrote:
shorter barrel has an advantage over the longer barrel because the pellet exits faster

Not too sure about this one Kevin. The pellet speed of both the long and short barrel should both be the same [ 155-160 metres/sec.
Wich is not the case: the pellet speed of short barrel AP is lower than the one of normal barrel length AP. The reason is that with a short barrel, more air is needed to obtain a given pellet velocity than with a longer barrel. This means less shots per cylinder fill. In practice it would be even worse because short barrel AP also have a shorter/smallet cylinder with less air in it -> evenn less, actually not enough shots per cylinder fill for the same velocity as long barrel AP. So all short barrel AP are factory adjusted to have a lower velocity than long barrel AP.

But this doesn't mean that a short barrel is less accurate than a long barrel AP. A short barrel can be a very good choice for a young/small shooter (woman for instance) and also for a beginner because a shorter barrel gives you have less feeing of the wobble.

About the choice of pistol, the LP2 is an excellent reliable pistol. An even better one but unfortunately discontinued is the Anschutz LP@ light which is an LP10 clone with a short barrel.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

The "Austrian" webpage of Steyr seems to give the impression that Steyr is working on a larger number of Compact variants, including LP10/LP10E compact and LP50/LP50E compact. See http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/siteLay ... 96b1664463.

Regards,
Gerard
joker

Post by joker »

In practice, how many shots per fill are owners experiencing? Also does the Compact have the ability to adjust grip (match)?
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I have an LP2 compact with the match grip. The grip is adjustable in all the directions, the trigger is superb and the ballance is excelent, it comes with an aditional barrel weight if you prefer more muzzle weight but I find it perfect as it comes. The rear sight is on a dovetail so you can adjust the sight base.
I get 80 shots from a charge, I did an experiment with running the guage well into the yellow and it still grouped correctly, so in an emergency you will be able to exceed 80 but I can't confirm by how much.
Havn't chrono'd it but it does certainly crack shots out requiring ear defenders.
We have at least 6 in our club, spread through juniors, seniors, and national team members in both, as well as us old men who love it because it is light but still superbly ballanced, which possibly opens another thread of is it the weight or where its ballanced that counts?
I bought mine through choice over an LP10 not as a cheaper option and I'm delighted with it.
We had a member with a "short" LP 50 which was a special but I understand that Steyr will now supply them to order.
Best regards and good shooting
Robin
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Steyr have and still do make shortened versions of pretty much all of the guns. You just have to pay a fair bit more for the customisation.

Rob.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have an intermittent elbow complaint, and use the short cylinder on my LP10 when needed to reduce frontal weight......makes a noticeable difference.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

If I understand the Steyr information correctly, than the LP2 or LP2 compact does not has a stabilizer compared to the LP10. Both the LP2 and the LP10 have a compensator.
Lacking a stabiliser, I assume the LP2 compact will have a bit more recoil than the LP10. Does someone has any experience if the lack of a stabiliser has any effect on the accury ?
Gerard
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

You've got to be joking - recoil? Accuracy? The LP1 didn't have a absorber, either, and was good for one-hole groups and a world record that held for 20 years...
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

All match grade pistols (co2, pcp pump) can shoot almost one hole groups. Only thing that changes are triggers, ergonomics, weight distribution etc ..
adds033

Re: Steyr LP2 compact any good ?

Post by adds033 »

Gerard wrote:I'm considering to buy a Steyr LP2 compact with a match grip (not the ambidextrous one) as my first airpistol to start airpistol shooting. I'm attracted by its light weight (780 gram) and reasonable price while still having Steyr quality. Is this a good choice or should I start saving to buy a full size (and weight) airpistol like the LP10 ?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Gerard
Gerard, I think both the LP2 and the LP2 short would be excellent pistols.
I personally will be getting a standard length one because i like the longer sight radius.
Good luck!!
TwoLegPete

Post by TwoLegPete »

If you haven't already bought it...

I shot the LP2 last weekend, and I liked it a lot...

..but there's one big deficiency with the LP2: you can't dry-fire it. Edit: yes, you can! (see below)

therefore, even though it's a pleasure to shoot with, I wouldn't buy it.
Last edited by TwoLegPete on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TwoLegPete wrote:..but there's one big deficiency with the LP2: you can't dry-fire it.
That's strange; according to the manual on the Steyr website:-

The cocking lever is pulled backwards (to a vertical position) and then moved forward again until you feel the first resistance. The letter "T" on the casing is still visible.
The mechanism is cocked. Trigger characteristics are realistic and can be tested for real shooting but no compressed air will escape.
TwoLegPete

Post by TwoLegPete »

David, maybe I'm wrong, then. I didn't find a switch or anything for putting the pistol into dry-firing mode (like on the FWB P44 or Tesro PA10), and I asked the owner, and he said that it wouldn't dry-fire. The owner was only a casual AP-shooter, so maybe he just didn't care...

I'll check it next time I see him (probably tomorrow)

I'd be happy if the LP2 would dry-fire, as I liked it a lot - and the price is on the low end of the spektrum. Definitely a pistol I'd consider buying, then...
joker

Post by joker »

LP2 does dry fire = cock by pulling fully back on lever - return lever to position where letter 'T' (training) on frame is still visible - trigger can be fired but no air is discharged = 'dry fire'.

LP2 will probably be as good or better than 99% of the 10M sport enthusiasts require - the LP10 is for the remaining top champions.