New Dress Code Interpretation

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

j-team wrote:
I would like to know what they are going to do it you turn up to the poduim in "blue jeans" or (gasp!) "ragged shorts"? Will you be disqualified from the match?
Yes. If you had read further down the page you would have noted that a competitor will indeed be disqualified for failure to comply with the ruling starting with the World Championships this year. Only warnings will be given through the World Cup season.
Kanedal (guest)

Post by Kanedal (guest) »

"All clothing worn by competitors in training, elimination, qualification and final round competitions and in award ceremonies must be clothing that is appropriate for wear by athletes in international-class competition. All clothing must convey positive images of shooting athletes as competitors in an Olympic sport."

Does this mean it only apply to international and olympic competitions?
Can´t really see that we would use this rule on our local matches here in Norway, the result would be fewer shooters turning up if it was to be.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Kanedal
It's certainly intended only (I hope!) for international events, but the idiots that write these rules ignore the fact that a lot of ordinary events are run to ISSF rules, and this rule is now badly written and can be interpreted as everything.
The rule states" All clothing worn by competitors in training, elimination, qualification, etc, etc...........must be clothing that is appropriate for wear by athletes in international class competition." It does not define the event.
So a fussy rule reader could enforce it at national level. That means no jeans to be worn when shooting. It is so stupid it is beyond belief, I watched the Intershoot on the web at the weekend and most of the shooters (and officials) were wearing jeans in the range.
Regards
Robin
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Kanedal (guest) wrote:Does this mean it only apply to international and olympic competitions?
Can´t really see that we would use this rule on our local matches here in Norway, the result would be fewer shooters turning up if it was to be.
It means that it applies to all competitions where the ISSF rules are enforced.

Whether match organisers wish to apply all ISSF rules is up to them (apart from ISSF Supervised Competitions & Championships). I firmly believe however that they should publish any deviations from the rules in the match programme or entry form.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I'll have to take the opposite side of this argument. I think that there should be dress standards. Appropriate dress shows respect for the sport and the team and/or country a shooter represents. A lot of shooters would give anything to be on a team, but some few, once selected, feel they have individual rights of expression that trump any obligations to the sport, team or country. There are way to many prima donna duds in the sports arena who are not good representatives of their sports. You know who they are. Shooting is under attack by many. We shooters are under a microscope. If our sport is to survive, we must take every opportunity to always present ourselves in a positive light. Apparently team leaders (maybe afraid of upsetting their elite spoiled shooters) aren't able to enforce standards of dress and behavior, hence rules.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Misny wrote:Apparently team leaders (maybe afraid of upsetting their elite spoiled shooters) aren't able to enforce standards of dress and behavior, hence rules.
When I first got on to the GB team we had to travel to and from internationals in team uniform; GB blazer, shirt and GB tie, grey trousers. It certainly gave you a feeling of pride (and helped when dealing with airport officials).

That was later relaxed to team track suits. Obviously more comfortable for travelling but "something" was missing.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

I could live with blazer, shirt, tie and appropriate trousers as shooting dress (uniform really).

I do however not wear a track suits unless I am running, I am not comfortable wearing one in public.
Anders Turebrand

double post..
Last edited by Anders Turebrand on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Kanedal (guest) wrote:"

Does this mean it only apply to international and olympic competitions?
If you want to abide by all ISSF rules, you would have to have equipment check and drug testing and juries and all the other accoutraments at each of your local matches.

However, if your event draws the press, it can't hurt to have the competitors look presentable.

It is your match. You can decide to use or not use any of the rules.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Misny
The problem is these rules cover every event which is shot under ISSF rules, not just those in the public eye, the Olympics, World cup etc, if its ISSF rules that aply then that applies to local, county and national matches shot under ISSF rules. If they want extra Olympic rules, OK, but don't apply them to every event, these rules are clearly only intended for the Olympics and the World cup, but they have negleted to state that. So do we ignore these rules at lesser meetings? If we ignore these rules at local events, where do we draw the line? Trigger weights? blinders? Do we pick and choose what rules we conform to? either the rules apply or they don't.
These rules as written are not just for the premier events, next time you shoot in a local event to ISSF rules, go and tell the shooters what they should wear, no jeans, perhaps they should get their hair cut as well.
Best regards
Robin
Anders Turebrand

If you are aiming for the world class events you had better start wearing a track suit in training and competition, I would not like to be comfortable in my jeans at home and in lesser competitions and then have to change to a track suit for major events.

track suits are for athletic events, not for shooting events.
(In my opinion they are not to be worn by grown men in public)
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Marc Orvin wrote:However, if your event draws the press, it can't hurt to have the competitors look presentable.

It is your match. You can decide to use or not use any of the rules.
There's a world of difference between scruffy and smart jeans. I would argue that smart black jeans look 10x more presentable than a tracksuit. Remember what tracksuits are for - they are not meant for competing in, in any sport. They are typically used as over wear, to be removed prior to the competition. You're also going to have trouble wearing a belt with a tracksuit on, or even finding anywhere solid to place your non-shooting hand.

Rob.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Anders Turebrand wrote:track suits are for athletic events, not for shooting events.
(In my opinion they are not to be worn by grown men in public)
They are. However, copious bling-bling, visible chest hair, and glitzy bracelets together with an ostensibly artificial dark tan are prerequisites for licitly wearing a track suit in public; an open braggard car is not prerequisite, but deemed very fitting in appropriate taste. Accompanying nicknames ("Hunky Hung Herb, Neger-Kalle, Jean l'Apache") are also very encouraged.

;-/
Alexander
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Maybe this is the start of another cash grab by the equipment makers like the proposed rifle change rules. It might be the start of pistol pants in "sporty" colours.

Warm-up/track pants aren't my favorite thongs to shoot in but I have shot in the in the past wearing a low belt like Domulin and it was fine. Maybe everyone will be using Frank's thumb holster.

I think they are trying to combat "the shootings not a sport" crowd because "look they wear jeans" but if they think wearing track pants is going to change peoples perception of the sport they are wasting their time.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Richard H wrote:It might be the start of pistol pants in "sporty" colours.
Hm. If tasteless colour combinations were to be interpreted as outlawed (good idea!), by virtue (or vice) of being "detrimental to the public image of the sports", that means that almost the entirety of the present rifle gear would have to be considered illicit... oh, I forgot, that is the intention anyhow. LOL!

Alexander

Post by Guest »

Alexander wrote:They are. However, copious bling-bling, visible chest hair, and glitzy bracelets together with an ostensibly artificial dark tan are prerequisites for licitly wearing a track suit in public; an open braggard car is not prerequisite, but deemed very fitting in appropriate taste. Accompanying nicknames ("Hunky Hung Herb, Neger-Kalle, Jean l'Apache") are also very encouraged.

We know now how to dress properly for the next match. xD

.. and now for the ladies ...

Post by Guest »

Awesome bling. We should all wear spandex! Or bring back the polyester leisure suit, yeh!

Oh and what pray tell should the best dressed woman shooter wear? Should it be the little cowgirl/hooker outfit that Pilk had on his webpage for a while? Or should they be all covered up in a proper burqa?
David Levene

Re: .. and now for the ladies ...

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:We should all wear spandex!
Maybe not.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I, for one, welcome our new color coordinated "sportswear" overlords. :-) Isabel
Lima

Post by Lima »

I guess blue jeans would be acceptable if blue was your countries colour?

In any case it seems that this is restricted to elite level global competitions where hopefully the related national body can provide trackies and perhaps even a blazer for glory moments.

And for the unlucky elite shooter who shoots in scruffy shorts and thongs (nay "sandals")? I guess he'll have to heed the warnings at this year's World Cups.

The irony is that they are most concerned with cut-offs, it's not like shooting well will get you big money to actually buy a decent set of clothes. Perhaps that's what the ISSF is scared of? Here's the elite of the world, no financial compensation given.

Actually, on this topic, is it possible to survive with pistol shooting as the sole occupation? Perhaps in certain countries in Europe?