The Coach,for good or bad

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

Re: Coaches

Post by David Levene »

2650 Plus wrote:Please read JackH's post attachment in Olympic pistol, "A Guide to Reverse Engineering your shot" toward the bottom of page four. I believe all Coaches should be thourly familure with every thing in this post. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Does that include the part about analyzing your shots to help you eliminate shotcomings and poor methods.

In this regard I would commend you to JP O'Connors excellant On The Firing Line series, especially part 5 Eights Are Your Friend.
robf

Post by robf »

Nice links.
bryan

Post by bryan »

how many pages did this produce on previous discussions?

all shooters need a plan of what they want from the sport, coach needs a plan, both need to be on the same page.
plans change in time.

I like to have a shooter Im coaching, coach newer shooters at least 10% of how much time I invested in them. this spreads the word, and reinforces what they are learning.

i think a good coach not only develops his shooters, but develops there coaching ability on the way.

you can all provide national level coachs that have no obvious competition experience, but they got it somewhere.
they also had worked with a coach of that level.

you dont jump from a text book coach to national coach by reading more. thats why there are so many text book coaches using students as guinnee pigs.

each shooter is an individual, so to write a book with every tried and tested method, for every person, for every issue, well, you have to be joking. (would keep the text book coaches busy.)

I have a reason for every coaching decision I make, and sometimes even explain to the shooter why, but always if they want to know. if the coach cant tell you why, there is a reason, they dont know!

its an ongoing building of trust.

the shooter makes the national team, is then under the national coach, who is the coach?
2650 Plus

Coach

Post by 2650 Plus »

Bryan, you have posted some darned good ideas. I would like to add some thoughts about writing a book. First, I believe every shooter with national or world level ambitions can benefit from becoming a student and study the elemets involved in our sport. Next I would like te see every world record holfder write a book and explain the modifications to fundamentals made to achieve the level of performance demonstrated, Were the changes mental or physical ? What training program was necessary to support these changes? How difficult or how long did he train before the accomplishment ? And have the concept available to the general shooting public . In my experience top shooters are generally too busy shooting to do much writing and we are all less informed the we could be if more would write. Good Shooting Bill Horton