New irrational proposals of the ISSF committees

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

robf

Post by robf »

Pat McCoy wrote:However, removing use of shooting jackets, boots, and pants WILL reduce the scores while limiting costs, thus making it affordable for more shooters to get involved while leaving room to continue to improve the ability to shoot better scores without artificial support.
Shoot naked you mean? :D

Or more seriously, now define what is an acceptable non-boot shoe, what pants are acceptable etc.

The reason why the gear is why it is, is because there is always the possibility of exploiting an loophole.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Bring on the Mankini
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

"Bring on the Mankini"

Sadly it would be in breach of the following rules:-

In all events 6.4.2.1

In pistol 8.4.5.1.1

And of course for rifle would raise the debate again as to wether it should be made in canvas, leather, or composite materials.

Best regards
Robin
an1913t

Post by an1913t »

I tend to agree with Pat's comment. Prohibiting the coat, etc. would significantly lower the costs for the average shooter, which is not a bad thing.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

Hi
An other think to take care is the injuries for the back and feet/ankle of the young and seniors shooters also. especialy with a large training.
The today position in standing is hard for the spine and the back , the shooting trousers is a geat help to maintain both.
The shoes hold the foot and the ankle
I hope you understand what I want to explain.
Gerhard the Frenchy
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

an1913t wrote:I tend to agree with Pat's comment. Prohibiting the coat, etc. would significantly lower the costs for the average shooter, which is not a bad thing.
I agree. It would lower the entry cost substantially.

The problem arises when you consider the cost of the physical therapy to get over the repetitive strain injuries caused by an offset asymmetrical loading of the spine, as well as the other chronic injuries our sport can inflict, the exit cost rises far higher than the entry cost was reduced.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

gerhard wrote:An other think to take care is the injuries for the back and feet/ankle of the young and seniors shooters also. especialy with a large training. The today position in standing is hard for the spine and the back
Je ne vous entends point. Nobody would be barred from using such equipment in training and practice, where they may indeed be needed for health reasons.

Alexander
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The physical problems related to training with excessively heavy firearms is alleviated by using a lighter rifle. Our juniors made increases in performance when going from the 1813/1913, to the 1912's. I replaced my heavy barrel with a lighter weight barrle and have seen increases in offhand performance.

Also, much of the strain problems result from a lack of overall physical conditioning, and the tendency to use very little training time for physical development. This is not true of the top US rifle shooter (M. Emmons) who has a rigorous physical training routine.

Court type shoes (tennis shoes, racketball shoes), warmup pants, and a t-shirt (or warmup jacket with thin elbow pads) should suffice for clothing, while limiting costs, and giving necessary protection for elbows in the prone position.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

No offence meant Pat, but if we wrote the rules to make best practice mandatory, we'd all have to be a mix of Feynman, Schweitzer, Gandhi and the Bhudda, and frankly, we're not really up to that.

And with our sport not getting in as many new shooters as it used to, do you really want to tell them all that they have to spend six months doing core work in the gym before they can start shooting (because it's the start where most of the bad chronic injuries happen)?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Sparks: totally moot point. Fake argument. The problem does not exist.
robf

Post by robf »

If you have problem with weight, your position is not optimum. Granted Juniors are a different kettle of fish. But there is a maximum weight limit for a reason, because it's beneficial to the shot when combined with a good position.

I don't subscribe that you need gym work to prevent injury, or that clothing does the same. However I can see that shooting standing could expose a weakness or injury unknown, especially at the start if the shooter is handed a heavy rifle and told to shoot without knowing how.

I'm happy to bow to a set of facts and figures on the subject though.
gerhard

Post by gerhard »

The weight of the rifle is almost the same with all air rifle, and i hope that the youngers shooters are in good training by scholar sport anf others.
The clothes are just a more protect, with training, with ligth barrel and stock in 50m it's a superposition of several things.
But the shooting clothes dont be an armor to give artificial suport, it's OK.
Und the thinkness controled.
I' m more 60 years old and it's the same that young, we must take care of our body, with a regualr physical training and warm exercives before shooting. I's the base of all sports not only shooting.
If we must shoot without cloth and boots, we mast change some position in standing to prevent injury, it's my opinion. Persharps t'm wrong
Gerhard
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Alexander wrote:Sparks: totally moot point. Fake argument. The problem does not exist.
The permanent nerve damage in my right leg respectfully disagrees with your assessment.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Sparks wrote:
Alexander wrote:Sparks: totally moot point. Fake argument. The problem does not exist.
The permanent nerve damage in my right leg respectfully disagrees with your assessment.
My assessment is however not one of your medical condition (which everybody here will respect and sympathise with), but of the wrong in your posting. *THIS* problem *THERE* does not exist as you misrepresented it.

Alexander
rajmond

Re: New rules

Post by rajmond »

Quest1 wrote:
DougB wrote:Why cause everyone all this money to replace gear when all they need to do is make the 10 smaller. That would solve the problem of too many 600's. I dont know what the big deal is about the penguin parade. Maybe we should suggest to the IOC that skiers should wear big fluffy jackets instead of skin tight body suits? The whole idea of needing all new shooting jackets, pants etc is absurd.

I agree with above that it will cause too many people to give up the sport because of the expense.
The people who are shooting the 600 scores are mostly making dead center hits, so reducing the size of the ten ring wouldn't affect their scores that much.

I haven't found in that document what is the real purpose of new rules proposal. Reading carefully I found only the strange idea of 'penguin parade' mentioned, but nothing about too many 600's. I thought my sport is precize shooting, so as many as possible 10's, and I didn't expect that sombody would have judged shooters' walk into final range. Should be the 'elegant walker' awarded with extra bonus points?

But they want to decrease the thickness of jackets and trousers from 2,5 to 2,0 mm and ban shooting boots. So they don't want to let us shoot without shooting gear but with a new kit with reduced 2,0 thickness. And knowing pistol shooters who were banned to use high boots years ago - they all shoot in special pistol shoes now - so also rifle shooters will use in such a case special pistol shoes.
So the only result of such changes is making all existing gear as not valid any more and push us to buy new kit.

Does it look rational and reasonable to somebody?
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

While the world is speaking about cost reduction, the ISSF will create rules which will force all olimpic rifle shooter to spend lots of Euro or Dollars to comply new regulations.
Are these guys out of mind?

Dieter

Post by Guest »

How about something really radical. Let's ban all clothing that affects the shooters hold. Let his technique determine how well he shoots, instead of the thickness of his wallet to pay for artificial aids. Precision air rifle shooting in my five state region is about gone except in a few clubs that can support the $$$$ to equip one shooter. In our last regional ( 5 states), we had one precision air rifle shooter-he won.

Post by Guest »

Dieter wrote:While the world is speaking about cost reduction, the ISSF will create rules which will force all olimpic rifle shooter to spend lots of Euro or Dollars to comply new regulations.

Dieter
Dieter Anschütz ???
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

Anonymous wrote:
Dieter wrote:While the world is speaking about cost reduction, the ISSF will create rules which will force all olimpic rifle shooter to spend lots of Euro or Dollars to comply new regulations.

Dieter
Dieter Anschütz ???
No Dieter Lohaus
Tanktrek

Post by Tanktrek »

Reads like the USA Health Care Plan.

All this does is keep new shooters from getting involved with the shooting sports to begin with. Over engineering at its best.