Walther LG300 / LG300XT differences.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ghostrip

Walther LG300 / LG300XT differences.

Post by ghostrip »

What are the main differences between the plain LG300 and the LG300XT?

i am a pistol shooter mainly but occasionaly it is nice to fire an air rifle.
i have found a nice LG300 (they say it is not XT) and wonder what more the XT is offering.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

The XT version has a more efficiant recoil absorber which is basically the only difference. With the original LG-300 a tiny kick can be felt [which I prefer] but the XT its almost inperceptable. I'm not a big fan of completely 'dead' air rifles when you fire but i'm in the minority as most shooters prefer the dead feel.
JSB
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Can anybody tell me if the forend of the Protouch LG300XT is adjustable for height like the Feinwekbau P700. Thanks Colin
robf

Post by robf »

not sure but it wouldn't be difficult for something to be made to adjust it if it wasn't.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I guess Robf is right, with a bit of minor engineering you could probably adjust the fore end depth, may be with some washers, but be careful you don't put the depth over the ISSF rules on dimension.
That is 90-mm measured from the top of the barrel to the under side of the fore end. This measurement must not be exceeded for the entire length of the fore end.
You will notice that the newer air rifles such as the FWB-700 alu will have a much shallower/smaller measurement between these two points which then gives the shooter more adjustment up to the 90-mm.

JSB
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

That's 90mm from the centre line of the barrel

Sorry to be a pedant!
Best regards
Robin
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Thanks Robin for pointing that out.
I suspect the LG-300 fore end will be on or just under the maximum depth allowed which was fairly common practice on rifles with no for end depth adjustment.
I think the tape measure is called for before any adjustment is attempted.
JSB
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

I not thinking of going over, I have a Fein P700 which is on the lowest setting,wanted to try a Walther and was wondering if the forend was as shallow,or could be adjusted lower.Will try to get to try one and see. Colin
Guest66

Post by Guest66 »

The difference is as JSBmatch describes it, and you can see the difference between the actions on the absorber itself. The LG300 absorber has a plain surface, while the LG300XT has some thin grooves in it.

I really liked the XT by the way, and would recommend it.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

well this is the LG300 i am thinking about

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/Luft ... -2440.html

its a plain LG300 action with walther standard sights and blue wood stock. my other option is a walther LG30 (former hammerli ar30) that has aluminum stock with gamo sights. i like the lg300 action a bit more
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but i don't think the LG-30 has a recoil absorber. I would highly recommend the LG-300 or XT version.
Walther can supply the XT absorber as a retro fit to the older LG-300 and any good gun smith familiar with these rifles should be able to fit it. I have no idea of cost though.
JSB
robf

Post by robf »

Guest66 wrote:The difference is as JSBmatch describes it, and you can see the difference between the actions on the absorber itself. The LG300 absorber has a plain surface, while the LG300XT has some thin grooves in it.

I really liked the XT by the way, and would recommend it.
Not sure what you are describing there... sounds like the regulator.

Older regs are more gold in colour, and have no inset ribs

Newer regs are silver and carry inset ribs.

The absorber system is carried behind and inside the loading probe in the action.

If you see this rifle for reference (which doesn't carry an absorber), the absorber is where the serial number is inside the action.

Clearer here... the absorber being the top right spring system inside the probe

Taken from this very useful page http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/spwlg300.htm

I have an anatomic lg300xt and it will still impart a little kick sensation... the deadest gun I have fired is the lg110 steyr 10m... but to be honest, the kick responses of either made no difference to my shooting... and indeed i know another shooter who has recently moved from an lg110 to an FWB p700 which has more life to it, and his performance hasn't dropped... he's averaging mid 580's...

If you're breathing the rarified atmosphere of that sort of performance, then these aspects might have some slight mental or physical effect which you may look to change, however I reckon unless your up there it's nothing to worry about. :) And even then, considering the rest of the equation that makes up top flight 10m shooting, it's a mere detail.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Ghostrip

Both rifles you mention are good, but I prefer the Walther LG-300.
As for recoil absorbers or stabilizers as they are some times called, its not a big deal. Katy Emmons won the Ladies air rifle Gold with an old Anschutz which was not fitted with a recoil absorber/stabilizer. So don't put to much emphasis on this little gizmo.

JSB
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

its certainly not big deal. actually i would like something with a bit recoil. it is that these rifles are within my budget. Also a rifle that matches my budget is LG300 junior that is almost the same as the LG300 Buinger version but has an XT action for about 80-100 euros more at another german shop. Unfortunately we dont have any of this models in my club (only some old fwb601) to try so i tried to understand the differences between them
Guest66

Post by Guest66 »

Re: robf
You are so right, I ment the regulator.
It´s worth looking at that part if you buy a used one. A friend of mine bought a used 300XT - but it showed up to be a 300 - it was only the stock that had the XT labels :(
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

so what would you think it is from this picture?
http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/imag ... 2440_2.jpg
even thought they said its a plain LG300 action it looks like it has the XT regulator.
cmj

Post by cmj »

Just to add a little confusion my Protouch says LG300xt on the stock. The action just says LG300 and looks like the one pictured in the blue stock. there is a noticible difference though on the weight at the end of the barrel. 300 is very short, the XT is about 6.5 inch long and says Walther on the side.
robf

Post by robf »

ghostrip wrote:so what would you think it is from this picture?
http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/imag ... 2440_2.jpg
even thought they said its a plain LG300 action it looks like it has the XT regulator.
The XT refers to the recoil damping system, rather than the regulator.

The regulators were updated from the old gold coloured ones to the ones shown in your picture.

So it has the latest reg, doesn't mean it carries the XT recoil system which is carried behind the probe.
10x

Post by 10x »

Hello All
I know this is an old post, But can someone tell me when Walther changed from the old gold regulator to the new silver one
Regards Adrian
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Adrian

E mail Walther and ask them, i'm sure they will tell you.

JSB