Pondering

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Pondering

Post by pilkguns »

As we end this regrettable decade in America, which began with millennial celebrations and great expectations for a New World Order, but became a span of years disfigured by terrorism, economic stupidity, inept political leadership on the alleged right and left, and celebrity vulgarity and indescretion of unbelievable magnitude, is it too much to hope for better things in 2010 and beyond?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Gosh, I sure hope so, however, we will need new leaders in almost every area. The "change" I see on the horizon for the US is not one I approve.
Ernie Rodriguez

Pondering

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Scott-I,too hope for a better 2010.But as we allow more and more uneducated poor people into our country and let them enjoy many free social services without contributing anything-I have a rather dim view of things getting better anytime soon. In America-image seems more important than right and wrong,the feeling that you are not responsible for your actions-is embraced by many people and finally replacing God/Religion/Morals with MONEY as THE most important thing in our life-will surely be our downfall.I think that most people,generally speaking,in our country are getting dumber,each generation, and since they vote in this condition-God help us all. We have met the ememy-it is us!! HAPPY HOLIDAY-EVERYONE
Last edited by Ernie Rodriguez on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former optimist

Post by Former optimist »

... But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome."
— Robert A. Heinlein

In other words, "we're toast".
Misny

Post by Misny »

Looking on the positive side, here are a dozen good news items...

1. We haven't had a major terrorist attack since 9/11.
2. The "surge" in Iraq worked.
3. We have more states with carry laws than ever before.
4. Violent crime is down.
5. Traffic deaths are lower (an 85 year record in my state).
6. The "Tea Parties" have been growing and giving taxpayers a voice.
7. The stock market closed out 2009 with the best gains since 2003.
8. U.S. jobless claims have been steadily dropping since September, 09.
9. Twelve U.S. banks have paid back $113,000,000,000.00 with interest.
10. Child mortality worldwide is down 27% since 1990.
11. Let's not forget Captain Sullenberger's skillful "dead stick" landing of an airliner on the Hudson River in NYC.
12. Last, but not least, if you are a "Save the Whales" person; the hump backed whale has made a comeback and will soon be off the endangered species list.

Please feel free to add to the list.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I think we will know a lot more at the end of the entire first decade of the 21st century (next year), when we see the results of the mid-term elections. Misny has a lot of good points, but starting the turnaround has to begin with moving the problem makers out of congress. If this is not accomplished, I'm afraid "Former Optimist" is correct.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Bottom line. . . regardless of whether you are an optimist or pessimist, Republican or Democrat - this is the best damn country in the world to live in.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

is it too much to hope for better things in 2010 and beyond?
This world weary old Cold Warrior was always told:

Blessed are they who expect little, for the shall rarely be disappointed"

Rutty
Misny

Post by Misny »

I think that competitive shooters are optimists, otherwise we wouldn't expect good scores every time we step up to the line. We would quit after being disappointed time and again with our performance vs. expectations. I also think that we keep abreast of the political scene and donate money and/or work for good candidates. We can only do what we can do, but every little bit that one person can do, can help put the train back on track. The political pendulum swings back and forth. It's going to swing back to the right pretty soon.
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

I would like to always look on the bright side of things and not get wrapped up in doom and gloom.

We're shooters because we enjoy the competition and a good fight. I look at the general state of our country in the same way. The people before us gave their lives; they didn't give up.

I have hope because I know there are still good people out there...
caveman

Post by caveman »

Scott,
Great question to ponder, I would like to think the answer is NO!
All,
I agree
Pat McCoy,
We may not have to wait for the mid-term elections after what happened in Mass. Yesterday (Do you think that is a preview?) However, when it comes to politicians I’m going to steal Ruttys’ quote “Blessed are they who expect little, for they shall rarely be disappointed”. I’m sorry but I don’t think we can expect government to fix some of the underlying problems such as “economic stupidity, celebrity vulgarity, and indiscretion of unbelievable magnitude”-Scott, lack of morals-Ernie, and self indulgence-Former optimist. Misny is on to something, it going to take all of us working on a common goal to “put the train back on track”. Orionshooter already stated the bottom line.