Compensator for Morini 84e

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
FredB

Compensator for Morini 84e

Post by FredB »

I'm sorry to bring this up again as I know there have been a number of posts about it in the past, but I wondered if there was now a consensus as to the best compensator for the Morini 84e FP? Is there a compensator that is reasonably effective and does not require very frequent cleaning and/or is easy to clean? Where can it be purchased, and how much does it cost?

Thanks for all your opinions!

FredB
FredB

Post by FredB »

No response?

Is there no interest? No good answer? Boring topic? Any opinions gratefully welcomed.

FredB
ronpistolero

compensators

Post by ronpistolero »

Hi Fred,

I am hesitant to chime in purely because only a few believe that compensators can help. I am one of them. To me, even if it increases the shot group size by 10% yet I realize that the recoil is lessened by at least 30%, that would be fine. So, to achieve such, enough pressure should be redirected upwards, but that would entail a lot of leading. My own compensator can go for at least 100 rounds using low quality ammunition, but would definitely require cleaning thereafter. A friend of mine just dunks his aluminum comp in a bottle of Hoppes and just brushes it lightly.

I think the design for comp should be widely open on top with a "funnel" through which the bullet goes through after exiting the bore. The tapered shape would redirect the gases and leading in a "gentler" way much like the comp of the MG Free Pistol, unlike my first comp I had machined patterned after the common ones made for the semi-auto .45s. In my mind, the latter is so that the gases and leading slams against the perpendicular chambered "wall" and easily forms a cake of lead that is difficult to remove.

Just my two cents worth

Regards,

Ron
FredB

Post by FredB »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Perhaps I should have been clearer about what I want and why. My TOZ is pleasant to shoot, but I don't shoot it as well as I shoot my Morini. Unfortunately, the Morini is not pleasant to shoot, and it's not because of recoil per se. The Morini firing behavior is rather harsh, with a good bit of muzzle rise - the feeling may be due to vibrations, but I don't know for sure.

Recently I had a chance to shoot a friend's new Pardini FP with its compensator, and the gun was a pleasure to shoot. The overall balance was very similar to the Morini, but the firing behavior was very different. Very little muzzle rise (easier to call the shots), and recoil was a solid pulse directly back into the shoulder. That's how I would like my Morini to feel, and I was hoping a compensator would do the trick.

I'm not concerned with accuracy or the strength of the recoil, as long as it doesn't feel harsh. However I don't want to get something that will require constant intensive cleaning.

Is such a thing available? Am I asking for too much? I figured this was the place to ask!

Thanks,
FredB
ronpistolero

compensator

Post by ronpistolero »

It would be fairly easy to have it machined. Just check out the MG Free Pistol comp. I think the length of the taper of its cone is at least 25mm. Its shape kind of reminds me of the tee used in golf. Ask your machinist to make one for you that will be about 20mm long (taper). I shared some photos of my comp in this forum some months ago from which you can pattern your design if you care to. I couldn't find it right now. Just leave the top ,ore open for so that lead will have less surface area to cling on to

Ron
imbecile

Re: Compensator for Morini 84e

Post by imbecile »

FredB wrote:I'm sorry to bring this up again as I know there have been a number of posts about it in the past, but I wondered if there was now a consensus as to the best compensator for the Morini 84e FP? Is there a compensator that is reasonably effective and does not require very frequent cleaning and/or is easy to clean? Where can it be purchased, and how much does it cost?

Thanks for all your opinions!

FredB
Hello, Fred!
In my Morini CM84E I use comp M271(according to Gehmann catalogue). Cost was approx 140euros (if I remember correctly) incl postage from Germany. Till now I use it for about half a year and can assure that it definitely reduces recoil (20 or 30%) and effectively relieves in calling shots. Muzzle jump is less than without comp. Advisably is to use pistol rounds if possible neither rifle ammo. Concerning "cleaning" there is some disadvantage-compensator fills with lead residues rapidly, but I don't care of it. Main thing is to keep barrel clean inside and outside. I suspect that once or twice a year it can be removed from barrel for cleaning-this would be enough.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Fred,
I have the new style Morini compensator installed on both my Morini and Pardini pistols. I clean them after 500-1000 rounds. Not much of an issue - I remove them from the barrel and soak them in cleaner (Slip 2000 Choke Tube Cleaner). Cleaning the lead buildup from the muzzle face is a more tedious (and delicate) task. Again, soaking in a good solvent makes the job easier.
FredB

Thanks

Post by FredB »

Many thanks to everyone who replied! Apparently there is no one clear choice, although in web searching I have found at least 5 different comps for the Morini. There may be more, but I found the 2 made by Morini, the Irosa, the Blow-Out comp and one listed on the website compensator.de. They all appear different in design, although the pictures don't really show what's going on inside. I'm more confused than when I started! Maybe there's no right answer?

Thanks,
FredB
scerir

Re: Thanks

Post by scerir »

FredB wrote: Maybe there's no right answer?
Maybe it is a personal, subjective choice. In other words: the choice largely depends on the specific dynamics of the specific pistol during and after the shot. Even professional shooters seem to have uncertainties about compensators. In example Virgilio Fait, one of the Morini 84E top shooters, now is trying the 'blow-up' compensator.

Post by Guest »

A comp on a 38 super race gun makes sence to get you back on target faster. It does nothing for recoil, it helps with muzzle flip. It is the gas behind the bullet that works the comp. In other words, the comp does nothing until the bullet leaves the barrel. It does look cool on the end of my Morini 84E and provids a place to mount the front sight.