any idea why this is happening prescription for lenses

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

southerncomforthemi

any idea why this is happening prescription for lenses

Post by southerncomforthemi »

Have just purchased some very nice shooting frames from one off the members here...thanks Presley...good guy to deal with.

As I understand it for iron sights I would use the distance prescription from my bifocals........+1.25 sphere -1.25 cylinder 10 axis.

I am long sighted and have some astigmatism.

I have found that at 50ft with no prescription lens and just using a.50 diopter the front sight is nearly clear and I cn see the target ok ( if anything too clearly).

So my guess is a +.75 or +1.0 would about perfect......now, if all I have read is correct I should need the prescription lens + .50.

Any idea what I have missed.

Also should I have the lens made to correct my astigmatism rather than purchase a std lens from Champion?

As to red dot sights my guess is that the distance lens corrected for astigmatism or an iris would keep the dot round and no teardrop that i currently see with my old prescription.

So is any of this logical?
clark2245

Re: any idea why this is happening prescription for lenses

Post by clark2245 »

I also have special glasses made for open sight shooting so I've learned at least a few things in researching this issue. The short answer for you is you want your full distance prescription in the lens, including astigmatism correction, plus about .75 diopters. It seems that can vary from about .50 to 1.0 diopters in some individuals and some lighting conditions to get the front sight clearly in focus. Normally an old style lined bifocal is used so you can also see the gun and things on the bench. The best thing for you is to go to a doctor who is familiar with the process such as Dr Norman Wong in San Francisco. He is an avid bullseye shooter who has done a lot of work with this issue and will come up with the best prescription for you. He has written a number of articles on this and related eye care issues that are available at :
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html

You can take a copy of that article to your eye doc to help them understand how best to do it. It is by far best if they are 'gun friendly' and allow you to bring in the gun(s) in question to try and be certain the best prescription is achieved. The one I'm working with here in North Carolina went so far as to set up targets outside at 25 and 50 yards for me so we could do the final check under realistic conditions. The result was a pair of glasses that did exactly what I needed!

Clark
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Going to a good eye doctor is good advise.
I get my prescription made to see the front sight as good as possible, and if the target is blurry, so be it. The center of a blurry gray blob is still the center.
As many great shooters have told me, "Front Sight, Front sight, Front Sight".

Post by Guest »

Contact Dr. Alan Toler at www.customsightpicture.com

He works with the USMC team, as well as being Distinguished Rifle and Pistol himself. Great guy to work with.
jrmcdaniel

Post by jrmcdaniel »

You can buy whole frames and custom lenses for less than just the clip-on lens at Zenni Optical. Simply pick the diopter plus between .5D and 1D (for most people) for the shooting eye far vision. You can leave the non-shooting eye diopter as in the prescription. The cost is so low (pick a cheap frame; lens coating is probably worth the extra cost) that you can afford to get frames for, say, +.5, +.75, and +1D. Once you figure out what works for you, just order the +D you need when your prescription changes (or move up/down as you age).

Best,

Joe
southerncomforthemi

Visited the ophthalmologist today...great guy.

Had done lenses for several of or top club shooters....mmmm. ..they kept him a secret>>>G

My problems were really all about astigmatism.....about 10 degrees out, so now my red dot issues should be solved.

With iron sights he favors really sharp front sight, in my case the rear sight was sharp as well, the mock target was about 30ft away and was just little blurred round the edges....very nice..

So if you are in NE Ohio Dr R Blevins is your man.

The other nice thing was he said dont waste your money on coating and use Trivex lenses.

Will keep you posted when I get them.
tk1st

Post by tk1st »

Hi
Just wondering where at in ne. ohio I live in the painesville area and was
looking for a doctor familiar with needs for a shooter
Thanks, Tom
southerncomforthemi

NE Canton...i was very impressed with his knowledge..