Non-shooting arm placement

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Non-shooting arm placement

Post by Guest »

I shoot SP, but has anybody else found out that leaving your non-shooting arm hanging free relieves some pressure out of your shooting shoulder? In my case it seems to give me less arm wobble and I feel less (tendon?) pressure in the shoulder area—also, I may find it a tad easier to come up with the sights aligned when my non-shooting arm is hanging free. Previously, I was sticking the thumb of my non-shooting arm in the—same side—pocked of my jeans.
CraigE

Hanging free

Post by CraigE »

This free position seems to work well for me in AP and FP. I will mention that I adopted this method based on observing Russ Diatlov. He is a very accomplished shooter and fine coach. (former national team member and has achieved shooting in finals for USAS nationals). I guess due to gravity, if you let the non-shooting arm hang free, it will always be in the same position further eliminating slight variables. Mileage may vary for others. But, if it seems to work, then I suggest continuing to do it.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Consistency is important and while I prefer to hold my belt buckle, I can see that letting the arm hand free will provide the consistency.
The problem with putting the hand in the pocket is that unless you wear the same pair of pants every time you shoot, the pocket can be at a different height or position.
We had a female member who was putting her hand in her track suit pocket but some nights she was actually straining to get the hand in because the pocket on her baggy tracksuit was so low. She now grabs a handful of material at the front of her tracksuit at about belly button height and her scores are much improved.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Leaving the free arm hanging, it is still 'pulling' on the shoulders. If you clip your thumb behind your belt buckle it will always be in the same place. You can also just put an a belt even if you're wearing training bottoms / pants. A tucked in hand leaves the shoulders more relaxed because you're pulling less on it.

As mentioned many times before, do what works for you consistently and that feels most comfortable.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

In my experience it would be extremely unusual for a free hanging arm to be the "right" position.

You mention feeling pressure in the shoulders. It might be worth investigating what is causing that; I do not recognise it as something that has happened to me. Tension or tightness maybe, but that is easily cured by a bit of stretching.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I gave it a try while shooting last night, and found that the hand in pocket had become more of an ingrained habit than I had realised.

Loose arm felt OK, but the hand contact gives a bit of tactile feedback that helps my balance feel steady and secure.
I'm not sure whether this is just subjective.
julioalperi

Hand hanging free

Post by julioalperi »

If I understand well what you mean by “ left hand hanging free” , I have something. It is a photo taken recently, in the Rapid Fire event of the World Cup celebrated in Wuxi, China 2009 where two top world shooters can be seen shooting that way. Right is Olexandr Petriv (UKR) RF Gold medal in the Olympic games Beijing 2008 and World Rank #4, and left is Vijai Kumar (IND) World Rank #8.
Julio

Post by Guest »

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, Julio!

Thanks for the interesting picture. :)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One thing that is hard to see is if their arms are actually hanging completely free. Even if they are pressing lightly against their leg, it keeps the arm from swinging.
julioalperi

Not so free

Post by julioalperi »

Not so free.
I have to add the word "apparently" to my previous post:
……..apparently shooting that way.
I've seen the video several times and as a result what I think is:
The left hand is touching (all the time) the shooters pants while they are shooting. Also, the hand remains still, motionless all that time.
I imagine that the hand touches the pants and feels the leg, but no more pressure is applied .
Do you think so?
If I adopt the same stance/posture with my legs so wide open, and in line with the target my left hand touches my leg in a natural way.
Not so, if I adopt a posture used by some air shooters, known here as bear´s feet ,(feet parallel and closer to each other than “normal”). Here, my hand will hang free if I don’t force it to touch my leg.
Julio
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Disregarding that these guys are at a totally different level, this discussion seems to emphasize my feeling that hand contact gives tactile feedback about (unwanted) relative movement between upper and lower body. More testing must be done......
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Interesting that the photo posted is from a rapidfire event and not a precision event. What happens to that hanging arm when the upper part of the body twists as the shooting arm aligns with each target?
If you analyse the twisting movement used for rapidfire, you will note that the twist begins with a change of weight through the knees, thighs and waist.
I have just experimented a few times with the hand hanging free and find that as I twist, it naturally moves rearwards (closer to my backside), almost as a counter balance. Whether this would help in match conditions will be worth testing.

As previously stated, I prefer to hold my belt buckle in all matches because it gives me a consistent position. Perhaps in rapidfire there may be an argument for letting it hang.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Its simple physics.

The non-shooting are will act as a canter-lever. If it is not secured it will cause your shoulders and therefore shooting are to move in a side to side manner.

It appears to me that the shooter in the picture have their arm pressed against their body, but I can't say for sure from the picture.

But with everything there is no set way to be a good shooter. However it makes it easier for yourself to ensure your non-shooting arm is secured.
julioalperi

Another Picture

Post by julioalperi »

Today by chance (and to my surprise) I found this image. Event: 50m pistol Men. World Cup Final Munich 2009. In second place we see Rashid Yunusmetov who got Bronze. He also won gold in World Cup Beijing 2009 and silver in WC Beijing 2008.

Julio
David Levene

Re: Another Picture

Post by David Levene »

julioalperi wrote:Today by chance (and to my surprise) I found this image. Event: 50m pistol Men. World Cup Final Munich 2009. In second place we see Rashid Yunusmetov who got Bronze. He also won gold in World Cup Beijing 2009 and silver in WC Beijing 2008.
Unfortunately it isn't totally clear whether he has his thumb hooked into his pocket.
julioalperi

Picture

Post by julioalperi »

I totally agree with you David.
Julio
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

The photo seems to suggest he has sewn pockets onto the outside of his pants just for the purpose of hooking the thumb[/b]
Naimed1983

Post by Naimed1983 »

it does not matter. If he trained that he does not move his arm, it had the same effect als holding your hand in your pocked or grabbing the belt. you dont have to grab anything to make a good shoot, but most shooter can not hold there non-shooting arm steady.
lastman

Post by lastman »

Look at everyone else in the picture.

They all have their arm tucked in to something!

That means 7 out of 8 of the worlds top shooters have their arm tucked into something
joker

Post by joker »

I have tried all sorts of left non shooting arm positioning and always come back to placing it behind my back with the lower arm parallel to the floor.