Ghost circle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Kiwi bob

Ghost circle

Post by Kiwi bob »

Hi
I have a problem with the front sight in that a ghost, mirage or reflection of a circle that sits on top of the sight circle (black) when I am taking aim.
I have checked for dirty sights etc. Has anybody out there had the same problem and managed to remove it.

Bob
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Hi Bob

Have you tried extra long anti glare tubes on your fore sight tunnel, Secondly, has the fore sight tunnel got a slot in it where the metal elements fit, if so run some tape over the slot.
Lastly, is your eye sight OK and do you wear shooting glasses?
What type of sight element are you using, this may be the cause, especially perspex/plastic.
JSB
Marcus

Normal diffraction pattern

Post by Marcus »

Hi Bob,

I am assuming that you see this when you are aiming, (looking through the rear sight aperture).

Looking through a high quality iris (fixed or adjustable) you can sometimes see a slightly dark area in the center of the field of view. This is normal as it is an optical effect of diffraction interference.

If you are certain there is no dust in the rear iris (there probably isn't) you can check this explaination by removing the rear sight and looking at a white wall. You should see a slightly dark area in the center of the field of view. Adjusting the iris size you can change it a little bit but it is still there until you get the aperture quite large (~2mm).

I hope this helps.

Marcus