NPA eternally high on kneeling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

I could use some help on this matter: my kneeling position keeps pointing to the stars (too damn high) despite everything I do. I have tried (once at a time of course): placing my left foot a little bit forward, handstop forward + loosening the sling, different placements of the left elbow, lowering the hook butt plate but nothing seems to work without making the position really unstable.
I am now thinking, what about the kneeling roll stuffing (it looks flat, I fil lit with grass seed)? Would this bring the NPA significantly lowe without making me even more wobbly?
Any input will be welcome.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Some pictures would be helpful. The kneeling roll is one thing to look at. Also, what is your build? If you're long legged, then your issues are common. You can also try putting you elbow a little more in front of your knee.

Also, I have setup my position to be as forward as possible. My sling swivel is about as far out as it can be with my cheek on the very front of the cheek piece. This will help lower your position.

You should try to stay away from moving your left foot in or out. The further your left shin is from vertical, the more muscle you'll need to hold up your position.

Post by Guest »

Yeh, fill out your kneeling roll some, but make sure your toe is still touching the ground behind it. (foot not up in air) Also sit up straight, but relaxed. Kind of an oxymoron, but if you slouch down (& forward) a lot, it brings the shoulder down so much in relation to your front knee. Think geometry! Sitting up brings the shoulder & gun butt up, pivoting around the front hand, & pointing the muzzle down more.
guidolastra

NPA too high

Post by guidolastra »

You are right, a picture could help here. I tried to send a picture, but for some reason I keep getting a message about exceeding my Upload quota limit of 3 MB...
I am of medium build, do not have long legs (personal opinion), and I am approx 176 cm (5"9' in inches, I think). I am currently trying to fill the roll more (taking care not to loose contact of my right foot with the ground as you guys point out) and it seems to work. However, everything seem to work the first day... I will be at the range tomorrow AM and see what happens.
2650 Plus

Post Subje ct

Post by 2650 Plus »

Have you lowered your butt plate and attempted to shoot with a more erect head position ?This approach will allow the rifle to pivot about your support arm and hand .You should find your problem of the high point of aim resolved. Good Shooting Bill Horton
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

OK,
I did increase the filling of my roll, and now my position points lower, at least initially. I will have to give it some more training sessions provided the weather cooperates for a few more weeks. My score did not improve greatly, but I think that was more related to other problems I did not address appropriately during this session: my balance was slightly off and my recoil was in the 1 o'clock direction very frequently during the 40 shots, I hope this is not the result of this new adjustment...
I also tried to use a more erect head position, but this required some muscle tension...
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

You can also lower your rifle by putting your left elbow in front of your left kneecap (instead of over it). Make sure you left leg stays pretty much perpendicular to the floor.
infantry trophy

NPA too high

Post by infantry trophy »

Maybe a stupid question but are you using proper shooting boots, the kind with the stiff sole and squared-off toe? Using these boots, plus a really full kneeling roll will elevate your whole body and lower the NPA.