Is listening to ipod legal during match?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Negrin

Is listening to ipod legal during match?

Post by Negrin »

Is ipod legal?

What if I have it inside of my ear muff? Completely inside ear muff?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal whilst shooting. The reason being you could being coached.

Rob.
David Levene

Re: Is listening to ipod legal during match?

Post by David Levene »

Negrin wrote:Is ipod legal?

What if I have it inside of my ear muff? Completely inside ear muff?
If you are talking about an ISSF match then the answer is nefinitely "no".

Rule 6.2.5 Sound Producing Equipment
Only sound reducing devices may be used. Radios, tape recorders, or any type of sound producing or communication systems are prohibited during competitions and any training.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Banned, as David says, for several reasons.

You could be being coached via a radio link, the noise could drown out a range command (safety), and of course if you had it turned up loud enough, the tinny noise from earbud headphones could be audible - and distracting - to your neighbours. And of course, many people wear ear plugs so as not to have the unwieldy muffs of over-ear defenders interfere with their cheek weld, so there would be no way of putting earpieces in anyway (unless they were all-in-one noise-cancelling earphones)

Not sure if you're supposed to use such equipment on the range at all, although I've seen many people at Bisley during ISSF-style shoots with iPods in during preparation time. I'm fairly sure they would be banned at a World Cup or ISSF-run event - perhaps David could clarify if the rule encompasses the whole range, or just whilst firing?
10shooter

Post by 10shooter »

I was my understanding that all noise making devices (other than your firearm, obviously) are to be kept off the firing line from the start of prep time to the end of competition time. Now, if you get off the firing line and slap on your headphones, pefectly legal since you pose no safety risk.

-Jason
Negrin

Post by Negrin »

So it is legal to take a few minutes break, step back from firing table, sit back down, and listening to my ipod?
Oz

Post by Oz »

Last year I finished shooting at 3XAir, set my gun down, handed my targets over, sat in my chair to wait... while waiting, I picked my Blackberry up, out of my bag and was busted!

It might be possible to get the official to check your gun, where you can leave the line and "go to the bathroom" where you could enjoy some tunes ;-)

Oz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Negrin wrote:So it is legal to take a few minutes break, step back from firing table, sit back down, and listening to my ipod?
No, you would have to leave the firing point completely.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Hemmers wrote:Not sure if you're supposed to use such equipment on the range at all, although I've seen many people at Bisley during ISSF-style shoots with iPods in during preparation time. I'm fairly sure they would be banned at a World Cup or ISSF-run event - perhaps David could clarify if the rule encompasses the whole range, or just whilst firing?
It is quite clear that preparation time is before the competition starts. I can see no reason why an ipod should not be allowed during that time.

Once the competitor is outside of the competition area and into the spectator area I can also see no reason why an ipod is not allowed; even coaching is then permitted.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

It may be symatics but why wouldn't the prep period be part of the overall competition? Is coaching allowed during the prep period? No.
"during competitions and any training"
Is coaching allowed on the line during training?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Raymond Odle wrote:It may be symatics but why wouldn't the prep period be part of the overall competition?
I agree, it is symantics. I see a clear difference between training, preparation and competition.

For 10m & 50m:-
6.11.2.1.1 Shooters must be given 10 minutes before the competition starts to make their final preparation.
6.11.2.2.2 The competition is considered to have started when the Chief Range Officer has given the command "START".

For 25m
8.6.4.1.3 Preparation Time allowed before the competition starts is as follows:
Raymond Odle wrote:Is coaching allowed during the prep period? No.
"during competitions and any training"
I'm not sure why you have associated "during competitions and any training" with coaching.

Rule 6.10.5 refers to "Coaching during the conduct of any Event". Whilst preparation time is before the competition starts, it is still part of the event.
Raymond Odle wrote:Is coaching allowed on the line during training?
I know of no rule to prevent it.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

I stand corrected. These discuss help me understand the rules.

Since the subject dealt with possible communication electronic devices, associating possible coaching with the prohibition.

I did not realize that competitors could talk with each other or with the coach while on the line regardless of the pre competition training time, prep period or record time during competition.
metermatch

Ipod

Post by metermatch »

I gotta ask...? What do you need to be listening to on your Ipod when you should be concentrating on shooting???

Are you going to be asking if you can make cell phone calls and texting while shooting, too?

Jeff
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I don't get it either, why some people can't give themself a few moment of silence, having only thier inner self as companion.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

[quote="Raymond Odle"]...I did not realize that competitors could talk with each other or with the coach while on the line regardless of the pre competition training time, prep period or record time during competition.[/quote]
Not really!

During 'Official Training (6.5.7.1)' and 'Unofficial Training (6.5.7.3)' coaching is normally allowed, provided it does not interfer with other shooters or the operation of the range.

'Pre-Event Training (6.5.7.2)' is normally conducted as per the event, i.e. 6.10.5 applies as it would during the event.

6.10.5 applies during the event

To facilitate 6.16.7.1 during Finals at the Olympics (Any protests must be immediate and made by the shooter or his coach by holding up his hand), coaches may be seated immediately in front of the spectator barrier, but must remain seated. This consideration would normally only apply to the Olympics.

Talking with other shooters always runs the risk of running foul of 6.11.9, or even 6.10.6.6
On-going chit-chat might be part of shooting at the club, but speaking to any one of a number of the top shooters at an ISSF Championship is probably going to give rise to a protest.