Trigger set up for FWB AW93

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Trigger set up for FWB AW93

Post by Guest »

Can the 1st stage of a FWB AW93 be set up so it's shorter than about 2.5 mm? It seems to be the minium length for the 1st stage on my unit--any shorter the trigger doesn't release the hammer. Also, how much free travel is adviced to leave after the trigger release? The user manual says "a certain amount" but that could be like anything.

My idea is a 1st stage travel of about 1.5 mm followed by a really really short --almost no movement; crisp-- 2nd stage. I figure this would be a good configuration for SP? Currently, the length of the 1st stage is of about 2.5 mm and I figure the 2nd stage could be a hair shorter--it's already crisp. I allow some limited free travel after the trigger release.

Eventually, is there any single stage trigger that starts with no pressure and gradually increases weight till 1,000 gram? All that within a trigger shoe travel of about 2 mm - 2.5 mm ? Wouldn't this kind of trigger make it easier to keep the sights aligned at the moment of trigger release? I've always used 2-stage triggers.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Trigger control is one of many variables, but probably one of the top three most important.
Take a look at page 22 of the manual, and decide which combination of slack and trigger weight works for you. It seems the 990+10 gr would be the combination you are looking for, since all the pressure would be done in the travel 990gr, and only ten grams would be necessary for firing at the end of travel.
Free pistols use about 6 to 20 grains, and eliminate a lot of trigger finger movement, so 10 grams should be able to help.
Now playing around with all those screws in the AW93 is something it will not come easy.
Don't know of a incremental trigger, which would be ideal, or probably just one more thing to worry about in real life.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Can the FWB 93 be set up as a rollover trigger?
David M

Post by David M »

You would not feel a 990/10 g two stage trigger. The lightest a two stage should go so that you do not early dicharge in the rapidfire stage is with about 10% of trigger weight on second stage.
The crisper you make the second stage, the more weight you will need on it. For crisp second stage put about 800/200 g.
For a slightly roll off (a small amount of second stage travel) set 900/100 g.

For free pistol 5-20 g requires an extreme amount of training to control. The average shooter is better off with 55-85 g to have some feel, even going to 100-120 g if you are shooting in the cold (or your first final).
ruig

Post by ruig »

I was unable to do this with my aw93. My first stage is about 3mm.
Walter

Re: Trigger set up for FWB AW93

Post by Walter »

Anonymous wrote:Can the 1st stage of a FWB AW93 be set up so it's shorter than about 2.5 mm? It seems to be the minium length for the 1st stage on my unit--any shorter the trigger doesn't release the hammer.
I don't know why it wouldn't release the hammer. The reason my gun won't shorten the first stage more than that, is because of the length of the long trigger bar notch that pushes against the sear.

You would have to lengthen the notch in the long trigger bar to reduce the first stage travel, since the first stage is still part of the sear length, it is not recommended, but it's your gun. If you need to replace the part, so be it.
With the first stage that short, you might need a longer first stage spring also, since the first stage spring is by default, very stretched.

Leave enough free travel after the trigger release so that the sear does not drag when it is released. Take the grip off and look to see how much space is remaining.

If you drop the first stage length too much and have a very crisp second stage, there is the possibility of the gun doubling, because the sear engagement would be very small. This is why the first stage is longer.

I know of no progressive rate spring that you could substitute in the first stage that will start with no pressure and end up with 1000 gms in the length of 2mm. I suppose it's possible, but the second stage needs a certain amount of weight on it to stay crisp. When the second stage is very light, you feel the edge of the sear. It's trial and error to find the tight crisp feel on the second stage, but if it's too light, it won't be crisp.

Neco moly-slide is the best grease for the sear that I've found for this gun.
Walter

Post by Walter »

JamesH wrote:Can the FWB 93 be set up as a rollover trigger?
Yes, it can be set up crisp as glass or with enough "roll" to even eliminate the second stage if you so desire.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all your advice, guys!

I slightly lengthened the 1st stage travel to below 3mm, then I lengthened the 2nd stage travel very very slightly up to about .5mm, and finally I left the free travel before the trigger stop at about .5mm. I hope this will make it a nice crisp trigger --which doesn't double, never did so far-- which is almost like the trigger set up from the factory. The free travel may be a bit too long but I'm not sure it has any negative effects. After all, it's just .5mm. All distances measured from the tip of the trigger shoe in a horizontal axis parallel to the barrel.