Which 22 lr ammo do you like presently?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulo

Which 22 lr ammo do you like presently?

Post by paulo »

I am aware my guns might not like it the same way yours do, but what have you been shooting lately, that brings out the joy.
I miss Eley Team with a passion!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

As the family gunsmith, I have a Benelli MP90S, a Pardini SP and a Pardini SP New to feed every week for my daughter, my wife & myself.

The Benelli likes CCI standard velocity, my wife's Pardini SP is partial to Ely Sport of Aguila subsonic, and my Pardini works well with Winchester T22 or the CCI standard velocity in the 50 round cardboard boxes. It does not like CCI in the older 100 round plastic boxes.
lastman

Post by lastman »

My Rapid Fire (Ham SP20) likes Eley Pistol Match

My Free Pistol (Ham 150) Loves the Lapua Pistol King. groups just on 10 ring @ 50m
paulo

Post by paulo »

I should have said, 22 lr ammo you like, under $10 USD / 100 rounds.
diopter

Post by diopter »

SK Standard Plus, accurate , reliable and clean, 50/box. Works well in Pardini, Aw93, GSP, GSP Expert, IZH

http://www.lapua-gmbh.de/naviEN.html
Last edited by diopter on Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Popeye

Decent Budget Ammo

Post by Popeye »

Following Paulo's question of budget ammo, I think the SK Lapua Standard plus is superb ammo, but a while ago I put it aside after it seemed to cause a rare malfunction in my GSP, and I started using CCI standard velocity. Now after using 3-4 bricks of CCI, without malfunction, I'll stay with it until our local source dries up-then go back to SK Std Plus. I recommend both types of ammo.

A key difference between SK Std Plus and SK magazin in a tin, is that the Std plus is stacked and so has been protected from the factory, and may be slightly more reliable than free flowing rounds in a tin. The tin is great for general practice though.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I really like CCI SV. I have tried others but keep coing back to it. Functions in all my pistols and has a reasonable price. Isabel
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

I also CCI SV. I have used it since day one in my GSP Expert. I've probably put over 2000 malfunction free rounds through it. I'm not sure if the ammo is really good or the pistol's reliability is that good.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Of the US made ammo, CCI has been my favorite for many years. I've probably gone through over 15,000 rounds with maybe one or two failures I couldn't contribute to other issues. I used to shoot Federal 711 exclusively, but when they switched to 711b (which is loaded to a lower velocity), it stopped being reliable in my Benelli. The price on Federal was also creeping up faster than other brands at the time.

The problem with CCI is that the bullets are just a tiny bit longer than some Pardini magazines like. I have half a case of the 100 round plastic box CCI that won't work in either of two Pardinis reliably, but the latest case of 50 round cardboard boxed ammo seems to be fine in my Pardini SP New. It still won't work in my wife's older SP.

The one flavor that seems to work well in my wife's SP is Mexican ammo. She's gone through a case of Aguila subsonic without a hitch (and it was CHEAP), and now I've got two cases of Ely Sport, which is made by Aguila. It works fine in both Pardinis. I got the Sport on closeout from a dealer whose distributor had decided not to carry it anymore, so I got a good deal on it as well. It is very reliable. The only downside is that the smoke smells more acrid than the CCI.

For the last 15 years or so, I've had terrible luck every time I've tried Remington .22 ammo. I've got a brick I'm using up exclusively for practice, because I get a dud in almost every box of 50. Winchester T22 seems to be more lot dependent. I have several bricks from a good lot I bought a number of years ago that works great in my Pardini, and thus far has been as reliable as the CCI.

At this point, I've got ~ 20,000 rounds of various types of .22 ammo, so I don't expect to have to go shopping for a while, even though I'm feeding three league shooters with it. I'm just glad I stocked up before the election. The prices I've seen on .22 ammo in the US lately are obscene (if you can find any at all), and most dealers are limiting quantities. I think things were beginning to improve, but California just passed a new law that will cause another run on ammo sales.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Just tried Eley Sport on IZH, AW93, TOZ with great success and surprise, groups in the 10 ring from sand bag with IZH and AW93, and inner 9 ring with the TOZ. Price is right, don't think all lots shoot the same, because an initial brick I bought for testing was nothing to write home about.
The TOZ loves Eley Team, but it is to expensive for practice, and non existent in the American market, I know because I called all distributors in the US.
Eley Club is also very good in the TOZ, hate the prices.
My guns didn't like Eley Target, Match, Tenex; they liked Eley OSP and TenexP, but they are not going to see it at those prices.
Of the SK's my guns like Standard Plus, AW93 and TOZ group in the 10 ring, and the IZH groups almost all shots on X, the least expensive type looks the best on my guns, a winner under $10/100.
RWS orange is okay, Yellow is a bit better, but about equal to CCI SV at a very different price.
CCI SV dark lead has too much wax for the AW93 and sometimes cartridge doesn't feed properly into the chamber, I had a round popping outside the chamber, IZH and TOZ love it, doesn't group the best but it is great for the price (seems this round is manufactured in two locations, one uses a dark lead and the other a light color lead, they shoot differently).
Federal 711b gives me double shots on the IZH, great competitive ammo on TOZ and AW93, hard to find, price keeps going up.
Federal GameShok 810 (hunting/hot) is very good on the IZH, but very hot and a last resort when nothing else is available. Very accurate and cheap.
Remington Target is reasonable in price and accurate, but too many duds.
Winchester X is a bit hot, and all over the place, for practice when nothing else is available.

Guns have personalities, so your guns might not agree with mine!
They take it from their human owners.