Compensators

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Compensators

Post by Guest »

Is there anywhere I can buy a non-factory compensator?
Ernie Rodriguez

Compensators

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

What kind of a firearm are we talking about??

Post by Guest »

Air pistol for 10 meter.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Somebody has to ask the question - why a compensator for 10m Air Pistol?
Ernie Rodriguez

Compensator

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Try this addy <info@interprodukter.se>

Post by Guest »

Spencer wrote:Somebody has to ask the question - why a compensator for 10m Air Pistol?
Spencer, then why do all manufacturers fit them?
Do you recommend to remove from all new pistols?
How many Olympic/World class shooters have removed them?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:
Spencer wrote:Somebody has to ask the question - why a compensator for 10m Air Pistol?
Spencer, then why do all manufacturers fit them?
Do you recommend to remove from all new pistols?
How many Olympic/World class shooters have removed them?
1/ fashion
2/ no - they probably don't do any harm
3/ none that I know of, but see answer 2

but the questions remains - what does the original poster expect the compensator to do?
j-team

Post by j-team »

1. Because they help to reduce the tiny bit of recoil that an AP has.

2. Because they usually improve the grouping capability of the pistol.

3. Because they look cool!
Popeye

Post by Popeye »

And they can extend the sight radius which can be advantageous.
David M

Post by David M »

Testing years ago determined that Airpistols do not produce enough gas for a compensator to work. They slightly change the feel but have no effect on accuracy.
It is a different story on live fire pistols (if rules allow).
j-team

Post by j-team »

David M wrote:Testing years ago determined that Airpistols do not produce enough gas for a compensator to work. They slightly change the feel but have no effect on accuracy.
Next time you have your pistol in a machine rest do a test with and without. Most obvious difference with lower grade pellets as top grade are usually good either way.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

David M wrote:Testing years ago determined that Airpistols do not produce enough gas for a compensator to work. They slightly change the feel but have no effect on accuracy.
I guess that'll be why they all make them and why they change/improve them. And just spotted the comment - if they change the feel, then they work. No one said they had to improve accuracy.

As for;
Popeye wrote:And they can extend the sight radius which can be advantageous.
There is in theory the possibilty of an improvement if you have such a phenominal hold - but in which case the 10 ring is massive anyway so you don't need the extra 'technical accuracy' If you stick on a compensator that extends sight radius then it will totally change the balance characteristics of the gun (assuming of course it is still legal).

Rob.
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

They change the "feel" . . . primarily by changing the weight and balance and rotational moment (heavy barrel less prone to "flip").

By changing the "feel" they may also change how you "feel" about your equipment (I have Sooper-Dooper Pixie Dust! Yee-Haw!).

Of course, if having the latest spring-loaded gas directing gizmo makes you more confident in your equipment, that *will* help you shoot better.

And, frankly, higher confidence in your equipment will have a greater effect than the actual performance of the equipment per se (after a given point; yes, a Daisy 700 series hand cranker with Wal-Mart pellets just won't do in any case; I'm talking about world-class level target equipment).

While I personally may insist on all that scientific laboratory mumbo-jumbo, you may insist on mumbo-jumbo of a different sort.

There is a reason why "homeopathic medicine" works- and it does work- but it has nothing to do with the chemical action of the "remedy" (see "Placebo Effect").

(p.s. "compensators" do have an aerodynamic impact on the pellet skirt as it clears the muzzle; I am not saying they have NO effect I am just saying the effect vis a vis RECOIL per se is negligable. That's not how they work. On air guns. They work by reducing the disruption tot eh pellet skirt as it clears the muzzle by reducing the pressure on the gasses that "blow out" around the skirt upon exit. So- if your "compensator" design doesn't help in that regard [and most do not] then yes, the effect is mainly perceptual in the mind of the shooter.)

Steve
Rover

Post by Rover »

To answer your question....

Try to find a used or new Nygord Turbocomp. I would ask Pilkington first then go from there at other dealers or a WTB in the Classified.

I've owned guns with and without them and I wouldn't bother, but you need to find out for yourself (don't get rid of the stock sight).
Luftskytter as

Post by Luftskytter as »

The kind of compensator that Steve Swartz refers to, is also called a "stripper". This means it will redirect and block the airstream behind the pellet. Both my Walther CPM1 and Matchguns MG1E have such devices built in from the factory. A side effect is more noise directed sideways and backward towards the shooter. The MG1E sound "softer" without the comp. There's a Swedish "blowout" compensator that does similar things. Ragnar Skanåker has been using this.

These things probably work, but for guys like me, the accuracy of the gun isn't the deciding factor anyhow. The ergonomics might help.
Then I don't seem to loose many points by using cheap pellets either......
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

Luftskytter as wrote:There's a Swedish "blowout" compensator that does similar things. Ragnar Skanåker has been using this.
These are available from http://www.interprodukter.se/index.htm
click on "Nyheter" and scroll down a bit for some pictures.
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Hello everybody.

Anybody has heard about new compensators that have been made for Steyr LP10 ?. See http://www.maennel.at/shop/index.php?ca ... eb931bc9b1

I know that there is another compensator made by a polish engeneer. I am not sure about the name of the company that solds it. I think is Mareva or something like that. I have heard that is fantastic because you dont feel that the pellet has gone out the pistol, so when you shoot you can realize very clear if the shoot is good because the pistol does not move. Anybody has more information about that.

Thanks