Scope for 50m and 300m

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Aksu

Scope for 50m and 300m

Post by Aksu »

What kind of scope is good for 50m and 300m events? Is Konuspot 20-60/80 enough good? Have anyone try surveillance camera system or webcam connected to laptop use in scoping?
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

I was thinking the same thing but I do not make the knowledge to get it done
talladega

Re: Scope for 50m and 300m

Post by talladega »

Aksu wrote:What kind of scope is good for 50m and 300m events? Is Konuspot 20-60/80 enough good? Have anyone try surveillance camera system or webcam connected to laptop use in scoping?
definitely good enough for 50m. I use a Konus 15-45x65 for 50m and its great.

not sure about 300m but im thinking that it will work good for that too.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I use a non branded(made in China) 20x60x60 scopeon both 50 and 300m.
It does the job for me(as long as there is light behind the target to enlighten the holes on the 300m)
A konus 20x60x80 will be perfect.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

If I was going to buy one scope I would buy a Kowa. I know some of the cheapies can be good but they are unpredictable. Also, they are pretty well sealed. I have a 60mm Kowa and my son has a 77mm one and the image is great. They are also pretty well sealed against the weather. The current 66mm obj kowas look great. Also, I would get the fixed long eye relief eyepiece. I have never looked through a variable power scope that I liked compared to these.

Later Edit: Thinking more about this. If you can afford the cost of a Kowa they are worth the money. Don't however let lack of funds for a high end spotting scope slow you down. I have bought quite a few of the older very well made bushnells on ebay for our club and for the money these are good choices too.
Jason

Post by Jason »

I've been struggling with this decision lately, too. I guess my big concern is if I'm going to "lose" any points by going with a lower-end scope?

Is a Konus/Opticron/Celestron/Leupold/Bushnell spotting scope less capable of indicating mirage? Picking out shot holes in the absence of good lighting behind a target? More likely to fog-up in hot, humid conditions?

I'm currently using a cheap, 15-25x50 Bushnell scope and while it's okay indoors it's not very good outdoors. Have I lost any points with it? Probably -- picking out 9.9s and 10.3s is 50-50 at best.

I consider Kowa to be the spotting scope standard for shooting, but they are a lot of money. I agree that you get what you pay for, but are you really losing anything with a more budget-priced scope?

JJ