Question for Benelli MP90/95 owners...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Question for Benelli MP90/95 owners...

Post by MSC »

Do you dryfire with the red chamber plug that comes with the gun?

I'm not sure if that it's addl use, outside the obvious safety flag purpose that it serves.

Reason I question it is that typical dryfire plugs are much softer, providing some "give". The benelli plug is quite hard.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Assuming A) you have a relatively recent one, and B) they haven't changed the design AGAIN, you can't dry fire an MP90S with the plug in place. The older ones could, but they changed the design of the disconnector, and the trigger will not release unless the slide is almost completely closed. I haven't found a good way to dry fire my MP90S. I can use dummy ammo, but it requires full cocking for every shot, as well as chasing down the dummy round. This is one of the biggest reasons why I now have a Pardini SP.

I don't know about the MP95.
montster

Use A 1/16 inch rubber sheet.

Post by montster »

I have a very dense sheet of rubber I cut to shape and insert between bolt and chamber. It stays in place if I cut is ever so slightly wider than the chamber width.

So far no issues. If it looks a little beat I cut out a new one.

I have also used a piece of furniture pad I bought in pack at a home store. These little pads are used on the bottom of wooden chairs etc.

I dry fired a lot with this for 2 months (2-3 times a week) and everything looked great.

Before that I used the plugs and I had a broken firing pin in just a couple of hundred dry fires. Now my gun was bought used so the owner before me might have contributed to the pin condition. He said he rarely dry fired it.

I am on another gun now so the 2 months is all I have on the thin dense rubber sheet.

I am in the same stagnent state right now too. Good luck.
MSC

Post by MSC »

Well, I HAD an MP95 about 2yrs back. If by newer vs older you mean the old EAA green case versus the new black case, then I had a newer one. I owned it for about 6mos and dryfired it 1000's of times with the red chamber plug. It was great because I could rack the slide and the plug would stay in place. Spent cases are a PITA to deal with, and the Hammerli-type dryfire plugs 1)wear out somewhat fast and 2) can get pulled out by the extractor. It baffles me why every comp gun doesn't come with a means to dryfire, but...
I'm actually looking for a dryfire method for my current gun (Walther GSP) and recalled how well the plug with the Benelli worked. My concern was if I was using it inappropriately back then. Guess the worst I can do is bust a firing pin.