Diopter sights and eye glasses

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ddmondo

Diopter sights and eye glasses

Post by ddmondo »

i am planning on getting a target air rifle and setting up a 10 meter range in my basement. i wear glasses. can diopter sights, like daisy avanti sights, be used effectively while wearing glasses? Also, what must be behind the line 10 meters from the target? Is it just the shooter's body or all the way to the muzzle? Thanks!
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I have prescription glasses and I can shoot w diopters. Not the best situation, cuz I am acutually looking out the upper left quarter of the lens when I aim the rifle, not the optical center. But it works good enough for me.

I was told the feet is behind the line.
The rifle will stick out over the line.
David Levene

Re: Diopter sights and eye glasses

Post by David Levene »

ddmondo wrote:i am planning on getting a target air rifle and setting up a 10 meter range in my basement. i wear glasses. can diopter sights, like daisy avanti sights, be used effectively while wearing glasses?
ISSF rules do not allow correcting lenses, aka diopter sights, to be fixed to the rifle.

7.4.1.3.1 Correcting lenses and telescopes must not be attached to the rifle.
7.4.1.3.2 Correction glasses, and/or filters, may be worn by the shooter.
7.4.1.3.3 Any sight not containing a lens or system of lenses is permitted. Light filters may be fitted to the front or rear sight, or both.

ddmondo wrote:Also, what must be behind the line 10 meters from the target? Is it just the shooter's body or all the way to the muzzle?
You must not touch the ground beyond the edge of the marked firing line which is furthest from the target. If the rifle overhangs the line then that is not a problem.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I found one of the keys is to make sure my glasses are firmly in place and not moving around between shots. So I actually wear a set of safety glasses over my prescription glasses, and that holds them firmly in place.

Also, it is fine to cant the rifle to try and get a nice clear sight picture through your prescription. I found I started to shoot much better by keeping my head more up-right and canting the rifle to where my eye could get a good picture. You'll have to experiment with where you weld your cheek, and how much pressure on you cheek you use.

The book Ways of the Rifle is a great resource for exploring head position, cant, etc., and generally making you feel that its OK to experiment with finding a position that works for you and your glasses.
tenpointnine

Diopter sights

Post by tenpointnine »

David

The Daisy Avanti sights referred to by ddmondo are aperture sights similar to early Walther air rifle sights.

I do not believe the he / she was referring to a diopte / diopter lens system as offered by Gehmann or Centra.

Walter
David Levene

Re: Diopter sights

Post by David Levene »

tenpointnine wrote:The Daisy Avanti sights referred to by ddmondo are aperture sights similar to early Walther air rifle sights.

I do not believe the he / she was referring to a diopte / diopter lens system as offered by Gehmann or Centra.
Thanks Walter.

If they are indeed just an aperture without a lens then, as I am sure you know, they are fine for ISSF.