Extensive .22LR ammo test

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bjsulla

Extensive .22LR ammo test

Post by bjsulla »

Many thanks to vapentidningen in Sweden. They have now published their testing of 22LR ammo.

41 different types tested in Hämmerli SP20, Pardini SP and Feinwerkbau AW93.

Link: http://hem.bredband.net/nfdt/22lr/09/
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Note the top left corner:
Träffbildens mått, medelhastig-
heten och standardavvikelsen
redovisas då musmarkören
förs över träffbilden.
You can get some data if you hoover over the target!
mm, speed and standard deviation
Kent
Edit: And notice the link at the bottom to an older test!
Last edited by Reinhamre on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Va' bra!

Post by Guest »

Thank you, Sir! This is a very informative resource.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Is there group size data or just the pictures?
It would appear from the pictures that the best ammo across the several grades of ammo and the 3 guns is SK. What do you think?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

1 - so much for those that believe that any quality ammunition in a target pistol will deliver acceptable accuracy
2 - reinforces tests we have done at our club range, i.e. ammunition price is not always a guide to group size/accuracy

Spencer
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Does anyone know what the distance was that these tests were done at? It was interesting how the ammunition varied from gun to gun but I would have been more impressed if they had had at least three of each type of gun to see if there was any consistancy within a specific model of gun. I agree based on the results that I probably should be spending no more than the cost of the SK pistol special as that seemed to work well in the AW-93 and last time I checked was at least 350 dollars a case less than the Lapua Pistol King. Isabel
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

The target distance is 25 m. All pistols have been fired from a ransom rest.
TPE

Ammo

Post by TPE »

Also this shows that if you are interested in finding a good ammo for your pistol you have to test it yourself and not rely on others. Ammo #17 is a good example of this as the same ammo gives totally different results in diffrent guns. At least for an average (pistol) shooter more important is to find the unusable brands/lots than the absolutely perfect lot. Again I refer to ammo #17.

-T
julioalperi

Test

Post by julioalperi »

Thankyou very much bjsulla.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

The group for the Eley Sport was pretty good for all 3 pistols. Interesting since that looks to be their "bargain" ammo. Does anyone else have experience with it? Maybe this was a one-lot aberration?
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I have a feeling the Eley Sport that was tested is not the Eley Sport we're familar with in North America. Our Eley Sport (purple box) is made in Mexico and I suspect the Eley tested came from the UK.
Tom Amlie

Thanks.....

Post by Tom Amlie »

Brian James wrote:I have a feeling the Eley Sport that was tested is not the Eley Sport we're familar with in North America. Our Eley Sport (purple box) is made in Mexico and I suspect the Eley tested came from the UK.
You're absolutely right. Looking at Eley's website, it turns out that the European "Sport" is labeled as "Target" in the US.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

With that said, it would be great if someone had an opportunity to test the Eley Sport (Mexican), or the other Mexican produced ammo such as Aguila Pistol Match, PMC Scoremaster or Fiocchi Standard. The packaging is different but the plastic cartridge holder in the box are all the same.

Brian
MSC

Post by MSC »

I've tried quite a few of the Aguila's and have done some relatively serious testing (no ransom rest, but sand-bags). The Aguila Rifle Match was actually the standout for me. Shot just as well as some high-$ Eley and RWS that someone gave me. This was out of a Benelli. Definitely worth a try.

I put a $45/brick limit on what I'll spend for ammo. Simply because the better one's I've tried have had such a minor (if any) accuracy advantage. Unless shooting pays your bills, or you're sponsored and getting it for free, I simply don't get the reasoning for the Eley Tenex's and such. I guess if it gives you mental confidence, then that's something.Top shooters in my bullseye league mainly shoot CCI std vel, and some stretch to the basic Wolf or SK match. These are guys shooting 95%+
jackh

Post by jackh »

Brian James wrote:With that said, it would be great if someone had an opportunity to test the Eley Sport (Mexican), or the other Mexican produced ammo such as Aguila Pistol Match, PMC Scoremaster or Fiocchi Standard. The packaging is different but the plastic cartridge holder in the box are all the same.

Brian
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/t ... -Jan08.jpg
Only 5 shots but impressive Mexican Eley Sport from the lowly Ruger. Arm rested at 25 yards. Looks better to me than the 25m targets linked to above.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Having been to the Eley Customer Range to lot-test TENEX in three Hammerli pistols, I came away with a couple of conclusions:

1. every lot of ammunition is unique, and
2. every barrel is unique;, and
3. this type of testing makes for interesting reading, but it really has no meaning for me.

That's why they have a Customer Range at Eley and at SK; so you can match your barrel to a particular lot of ammunition. There simply was no correlation between how one lot of ammunition performed in one barrel and how it performed in another.

To look at any particular test result and extrapolate it your combination of barrel and ammunition is imprudent.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Very true R.A. These tests are never exactly what your pistol/rifle will actually do. At best, other peoples tests might indicate the likelyhood of what your firearm will do. I assumed that Tenex would be the best in my 1413 rifle. It was, until I fired RWS Target Rifle. The RWS was totally xring on the 50yd SB target. Tenex was hanging on the X at best. I fired the old Anschutz from the bench with the original iron sights. Neither had flyers. Most all cheaper ammos were 10 ring or worse with flyers even the old UM1.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

By coincidence, this month's issue of Target Shooter on-line magazine has an article about batch testing TENEX at the Eley Customer Range.

Well worth reading; see http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/
denico

Post by denico »

Very nice...

Ammo no. 37, is that Pistol Match SPECIAL ?
Hard to read the small type above the line "Pistol Match".

Regards
Dennis