Attention! Anyone Flying with a Firearm

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bmeyer

Attention! Anyone Flying with a Firearm

Post by bmeyer »

I wanted to share something I just ran across. I have been spending the last few night making sure I have all of my ducks in a row for flying with my rifle. Everything I could find by using the search function left me not knowing whether to buy the TSA locks or not due to the rule stating that you and you alone should have access. I was just reading the TSA site and found the following paragraph:

"We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms."

I dont know if this is something that was brought up before and I missed it, or if it was a recent change, but I thought it was worth sharing.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Argh!

Transit through Singapore with firearms and/or ammunition has been a problem - even when continuing on the same plane the firearms have been off-loaded and inspected. In the past I have used TSA locks and not had my luggage damaged; others with the team without TSA locks have had their luggage 'forced' for inspection.

Spencer
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Ask as you check in what is required. (what they want)

Going to the JO's this summer, my daughter had 2 types of locks.
A standard "Master" set with keys, and a set of TSA's.

Counter clerk told her to lock the case with the TSA's.

Different airlines interpret rules differently ... no harm at all asking --> AT THE GATE ... the morons on the phone are worthless ... TSA even more so.
Moi

Post by Moi »

The "no TSA locks" rule has been in effect for several years. If the airlines are telling you different, they do not know the rules (no big surprise). The reason for this probably that there are several people wandering around with the nifty master keys that open TSA locks and if they know what's in the case, someone might get sticky fingers.

The way to travel is, print out a copy of applicable federal regulations. Then, print out a copy of the airline's policy regarding firearms and ammunition (usually found on their website). Keep these on your person when you travel. Show up early! Put a tag on the case with your name and cellphone number on it instructing anyone having a problem with the case to call or announce your name to if the case needs to be opened. Take your gun case to the airline counter, declare that you have a firearm. The airline folks will have a special tag for your gun case...the tag goes INSIDE the case...if it's outside, it's basically a big "steal me" sign. If necessary, take the hard case to the TSA agent and declare your firearms. Hang around a little while to make sure your gun goes through the conveyor belt and nobody starts paging you, then go through the security checkpoint to go to your gate.
Josed

Post by Josed »

There is a reason that some off us in the airline industry refer to the TSA
as, Too Stupid for Arbees.
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

Have any of you had any experience with combo locks vs pad locks? I want to make a case for my air pistol out of a cheap old briefcase I have and I'm wondering if I should just find a case that accepts locks. My issue is will TSA break into my briefcase if there's not even the possibility of opening it with a key.
Shooter

Flying with firearms

Post by Shooter »

This has been an interesting thread. I have not had any problem with my rifles when I fly. I declare them, get the baggage tags to wherever I am going, go over to the x-ray area and wait until my rifle case comes through. The TSA guy opens it, we talk a little (they don't know about any competitive gear and it is fun to educate them), they close the case and I lock it with the built-in locks and it goes on its way. I pick it up at the destination and that is it. Coming home, it is pretty much the same thing. So, I don't know what everyone is worried about. Just be sure to arrive at the airport a little earlier than usual, don't get bent out of shape and move along with things. Built-in locks or padlocks should not make a difference.
Don in Oregon
JB

What's the best case to use for air travel (pistol)?

Post by JB »

I haven't air traveled yet with my air pistol but I was wondering which case is the best one to get for my air pistol?
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

How do *you* define "best?" I mean, "best" for me might be quite different from "best" for you . . . Do you want big & bulletproof or light & barely legal? How many guns? How much gear?
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

Storm makes pretty good cases in my mind. Mine has served me well, and the airline gorillas haven't found a way to damage it yet. That should say it all.
JB

sorry

Post by JB »

Steve Swartz as Guest wrote:How do *you* define "best?" I mean, "best" for me might be quite different from "best" for you . . . Do you want big & bulletproof or light & barely legal? How many guns? How much gear?
Steve S,
I'm looking for a case that will secure my air pistol during transport w/ damage, be TSA (friendly) that means with TSA lock or can accept TSA locks, and be study enough to not be damaged by baggage handlers.

I've never traveled with my air pistol before and was hoping that the more experienced people here can recommend me a case that they have used to transport their air pistol.

thanks.
JB

oh yeah

Post by JB »

Steve,
one pistol and minimal gear as I don't have much stuff yet.
Quest1

Re: oh yeah

Post by Quest1 »

JB wrote:Steve,
I like the TNB Enterprise or ICC metal cases as they are less weight and bulk of the equivalent hard plastic cases such as pelican or storm, but they will should provide the same protection.
Sparks

Re: oh yeah

Post by Sparks »

JB wrote:Steve,
Storm's good. Peli's good.
"Best" probably doesn't exist.
If you can get closed-cell foam laser cut for your pistol, that's probably a good idea, the pick-n-pluck stuff is good, but a little fidgety, and the softer foam stuff doesn't fill me with confidence (Dublin Baggage Handlers are covered under most insurance schemes as Acts of God).

I'd suggest to keep three things in mind when buying a case -
1) Weight. If you can't walk a mile carrying it, you may have fun at some international airports.
2) Cost. Nothing really wrong with a $200 pistol in a $2000 case if the pistol is worth that much to you, but if not...
3) Usage. If you're not actually going abroad with this thing that often, a peli is probably overkill. A $50 case might well do the job just as well for what you want.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

FWIW, I had ICC build me a custom case for international black powder shooting. Very reasonable prices for a 4-gun/3 section wheeled case.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Some of you guys need to READ TSA regulations.

They clearly state that the person transporting a firearm in checked luggage is THE ONLY PERSON ALLOWED TO BE ABLE TO UNLOCK THE CASE.

That means TSA locks are not legal on cases containing firearms. It does not matter what the TSA guy at the airport says. It does not matter what the minimum wage airline counter drone thinks.

As someone already said, you need to know the federal and airline regulations cold and you need to have them in print to "educate" the ignorant.

I've flown plenty of times with firearms, and most of the time they are not of the sporting persuation. Never have had a problem by knowing the proper procedures and politely but firmly insisting they be followed.

Remember, everyone has a supervisor.
Froley

Post by Froley »

TSA=Thousands Standing Around

I have made it a point not to transport a firearm by passenger air baggage since 9-11 simply due to the crazed nature of airlines, the public and TSA.

Since I am slowly re-entering the sport I am curious if anyone has had success in pre-shipping your firearm by say, UPS/Fedx to be picked up at your destination?
Regards
Froley
GCSInc

Changed on 16 Sept 2009

Post by GCSInc »

[quote="Jose Rossy"]
They clearly state that the person transporting a firearm in checked luggage is THE ONLY PERSON ALLOWED TO BE ABLE TO UNLOCK THE CASE.

That means TSA locks are not legal on cases containing firearms. quote]

Changed on 16 Sept 2009 / TSA Locks are now approved... It'll be in the re-write coming out soon...
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Since I am slowly re-entering the sport I am curious if anyone has had success in pre-shipping your firearm by say, UPS/Fedx to be picked up at your destination?
Regards
Froley
If you are shipping an air rifle/pistol, no problem.

If you are shipping a firearm, it must go to an FFL holder ... both going & coming back... you'll have to complete the transfer paperwork at both ends.
Sometimes you have to do this. I had to when my 16 year old daughter went to the advanced camp as the airline (Northwest) would not allow her to travel w/ her smallbore rifle. Luckily, there was a generous FFL holder in that city that did most of the receiving and shipping back and did not charge us a transfer fee.
I did have to pay the fee & complete the paperwork when the rifle got back home.

My view, if you can fly with it, do so. Get a good case (suggestion - Pelican or Storm) ... the thin plastics like Doskosill (sp?) are easily torn up.

If flying, I've purchased the Storm 3100 case for flying. A rifle has to be broken down, but it comes in under the "oversized" limits and all you have to do is pay the extra baggage fee. A 3200 size case will cost you about $100 each way as it is "oversized". I cannot remember but the Pelican case that is about the same size as the Storm 3100 is a few inches "oversized".

I've seen the UNL shooters get both their Air & Smallbore rifles into a single 3100 case. Morgan also has them remove the trigger shoes from the triggers to keep them from getting damaged. Sights are removed and go into their other gear bag.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

A question to the group -

I've been looking at purchasing a plastic pistol cases such as Doskosill or Flambeau(?) for use in transporting my pistols if I fly to a match. My thought was I could place my pistols locked inside a plastic pistol case and then insert the case inside my suitecase.

Is this allowed or must the pistol case be in a separate container?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions on this matter?

TIA,
-s