I need info on LG300 regulator o-rings.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jeauxd

I need info on LG300 regulator o-rings.

Post by jeauxd »

I recently bought one of the older Walther LG300 Alutec air rifles from another shooter that had way too many of them and had this one in his safe a few years. The gun shoots fantastic as long as the pressure in the air cylinder is above 150 BAR per the gauge on the cylinder and my fill tank gauge when I recharge. When it gets below that pressure it will soon stop shooting until I recharge the gun and go after it again. I use the rifle as for target class silhouette shooting and couldn't be happier with it, but I think I need to get this thing fixed. A friend that shoots Walthers in field target tells me that there is a seal that is failing and getting ready to go out completely inside the regulator. Looking at the schematics that I can find (on this site happily), I have no qualms about replacing the seals myself as it looks pretty straight forward and my friend has rebuilt his reg and said it is not a complex job. I have some experience with tuning and working on non regulated pre-charged air rifles, so I don't think I am biting off more than I can chew with this.

Does anyone know the sizes of all the o-ring seals in the regulator area of this airgun. I may have to special order some and would prefer to have them on hand so that I can replace them all when I go into it and not have to wait to measure them and then possibly have to order them and WAIT (another of the dreaded four letter words) for them to come in. They are probably all metric, but I can get pretty much any metric size that I might need unless it is a special proprietary size ring.

I plan to take photos and do a how I did it write up on the seal replacement job so other shooters can do it themselves too. Eventually all these guns will need seals replaced and I thought it would be helpful to those that feel capable of tackling the job.

If anyone knows the sizes I will need, I would greatly appreciate knowing.

Thanks,

Joe
-=ed

Post by -=ed »

I don't know, but if you go here, there is a lot of info on the LG300

http://www.airgunscotland.org/forums/in ... owforum=51
jeauxd

Thanks Ed.

Post by jeauxd »

Thanks Ed, I'll give it a go and post if I find anything useful.
robf

Post by robf »

as far as i know walther don't sell the seals, and i would suspect therefore they won't tell you the info, but it might be worth calling germany and seeing what happens... stranger things have happened.

on your side of the pond Joe Korick builds his own walther regs from scratch, and may be able to help... else you could try some of the UK reg experts on the FT forums who do reg work... again, they might keep info close to their chest but you never know.
jeauxd

Making progress on the seals

Post by jeauxd »

I took the regulator apart and through some tinkering have found out what size it is and have some on the way. What appears to have happened is that the previous owner has stored the gun in a safe for a couple of years or so with pressure in the cylinder greater than the regulated pressure. This has resulted in the seal being under load for a long period of time and this has pinched the inside diameter of the seal down a bit and is what was causing the gun to actually seal itself off below a certain pressure. I turned the seal around in the opposite direction (as it is just an o-ring) on reassembly and it seems to be makind a difference. It is shooting down to lower pressures now, how low, I don't yet know, but I'm getting a lot of shots on a fill for sure as compared to the LG300 Dominator Hunter model I have.

Mechanically, the regulator is very simple yet effective. I have met and shot field target with Joe Korick and he is an expert and overall air rifle guru to say the least as well as a good shooter and nice guy.

From what I can tell, Walther did their homework on the LG300. It is very well thought out and quite simple to work on. If they would only sell parts, even at the ridiculous OEM parts prices they would have hit a home run with this gun. I think they are doing well as it is though.

Thanks everyone for the info. Airgun Scotland has some very good information on walther dominators and LG300s in general.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Champions Choice sells walther and may sell you the oring you need. You need to be careful to get an oring that is made from the same material. Mcmaster Carr is a good place to get o rings. www.mcmaster.com
robf

Post by robf »

Regs can be bought as complete units, for about 165 euros if that's any help.