My IZZY exploded

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Finelld

My IZZY exploded

Post by Finelld »

This is my first post, I have enjoyed reading the forum for some time. I am using an IZH-46M, upgraded from the IZH-46 about 5 years ago. I haven't been super regular with my practice , but can usually get back to 540s-550s within about 150 rds. of practice after not shooting for a couple of years.

This morning when I started practice I was shocked when the pistol breech flew open and seals went flying when I took a shot. I recovered the seals, they appeared to be undamaged. I gently slid the brass rod that came with the pistol down the barrel to ensure it was clear. I found the pellet about 1/2 way down the range. It looked like it had hit something, but at low velocity. The table on the pellet was bent at an angle but not deformed beyond that.

I don't know what caused the failure. I replaced the seals and checked over the pistol. I did not see any other damage beyond the seals flying off the pistol breech. I shot a couple of felts through the pistol to ensure the barrel was clean. The rifling looked to be pristine.

I can't seem to get good groups after this malfunction this morning. I can barely stay in the black. I don't know if it is nerves or damage to the pistol. I tried shooting from a rest and got a pattern that seemed to cross the black about 3 pellet widths wide in an arc across the black.

Has any one had this happen with an IZH-46m? I couldn't find any reference to izh failures with a search.

Is it possible that the problem is my nerves or is it more likely a damaged pistol?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,
David Finell
pauln

Post by pauln »

It did this because you didn't have the bolt fully closed. I did this several times with mine no damage done.
1008mod

exploding packing seals

Post by 1008mod »

It has happened to me twice. Almost gave me a heart attack but nothing worse. Now i know why it happened. Earlier I used to assume that this happens when the packing seals wear out.

Regards,
1008mod
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Same here - if you don't have the breech fully closed and locked it gets interesting :D

Mind you, mine also dissassembles itself during matches every ten shots or so!

(The linkage between the charging lever and the breech lock just falls out onto the floor. Lots of fun for everyone else :D )
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that I am not the only one that this has happened to.

Now I just need to figure out where my accuracy went. I recently had to switch pellets as the ones I had been using are no longer available. They were Nygord pellets.

I have gone to RWS target pellets as they are the best that are locally available. They seemed to deliver comparable groups before I was shocked by the breech blowing open. I will continue trying to regain my groups :-)

David Finell
Oz

Post by Oz »

Finelld wrote:I recently had to switch pellets as the ones I had been using are no longer available. They were Nygord pellets.
You can still get Nygord Pellets. Get the H&N match pellets and put the Nygord sticker on 'em. That's who supplied them for Don.

Oz
Erik as a guest

Post by Erik as a guest »

I had this happen twice as well. It is a violent expierence but doesnt seem to have harmed the pistol.
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. My groups are starting to get back to where they were, but not there yet. I hope, and don't think, there is no serious damage to my pistol.

I just shot a 10rd frame with 5 10's, 1 9, 2 8's, and 2 7's (yuck) with FWB Professional line 8.2 grain wadcutters. These seem to be the best pellets available locally. I will probably order a sleeve of Vogels or H&N Match as funds become more available.

I think the poor performance is partially due to over training, as I haven't shot seriously in some time. My arm and elbow are getting sore, and I have some latent nerves from the pistol failure.

Best regards,

David Finell
Oz

Post by Oz »

For SSP pistols (like the Izzy), it's usually recommended that you use lighter pellets. The 8.2 grain pellets are usually recommended for PCP's. All it's going to do is send your pellets down range a little slower, so not a huge deal. Just something to keep in mind.

Oz
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

The store I purchased these pellets from didn't have them in the lighter weights. I will keep looking locally, but will probably end up having to do mail order (which I hate) for the pellets in the future.

If anyone knows where to get decent pellets in the San Antonio, TX area I would be most appreciative.

Best Regards,

David Finell
diopter

Post by diopter »

When my my seals blew out ,it took me awhile to figure out the proper way to reinstall them so that they sealed properly. Of course that was during a match. That maybe why yours seems off.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I've never owned a -46 but know one gentleman who does. He reported very poor grouping with his pistol and generally poor target performance, ie torn paper rather than nice round holes. He's of a very technical nature so he used a pellet to "slug" the barrel and discovered that his barrel's bore is quite far from the nominal diameter. It took him a while to find pellets of the proper diameter but now that he has them his grouping is quite good. With this in mind it might be adviseable to check your bore diameter before buying your next pellets and choose your pellet size accordingly.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I know this isn't close, but you might be in the neighborhood one day. This guy will help you with ALL your problems.

http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/
izzy2

Izzy

Post by izzy2 »

I shoot an Izzy 46M, and have found that the H&N match (#3011) give me the best groups of all that I have tried. Tied down in a vise, I can put 5 shots in the same hole at 10 meters. Good luck, and shoot well. I have both the pistol and rifle by Izzy, and they shoot the same pellet. Roy
Finelld

Post by Finelld »

I found the problem with the accuracy. I don't know if it was a result of the "exploding IZZY" but it might have been a contributing factor. The rear sight mounting screw, which can only be accessed by removing the grips, loosened. As a result the rear sight block was loose on the pistol. As a result the rear sight would not return to the same position after each shot.

After I fixed the pistol I shot a target where 8 out of the ten shots were completely within the 9 ring. I had two flyers, one 7 and one 8. I still need to work on those flyers. These particular flyers were caused by too loose of a grip.

Best Regards,

Dave F
Quest1

Pellets

Post by Quest1 »

Finelld wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that I am not the only one that this has happened to.

Now I just need to figure out where my accuracy went. I recently had to switch pellets as the ones I had been using are no longer available. They were Nygord pellets.

I have gone to RWS target pellets as they are the best that are locally available. They seemed to deliver comparable groups before I was shocked by the breech blowing open. I will continue trying to regain my groups :-)

David Finell
The store were our club resides has a few cans of the Nygord pellets left if your interested. You can email me at randys@bigskytel.com. However, Oz is right you can buy the H&N pellets who is the original maker.