What denotes a used rifle as a "shooter"?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Gl17oxford

What denotes a used rifle as a "shooter"?

Post by Gl17oxford »

I have just purchased a used 1611 with a three week return policy. I am satisfied with everything on the rifle, but there comes one last point. I am currently only Marksman class in small bore prone. How can I tell if the rifle "shoots" or doesn't? I plan to bench-rest it in the next couple of days and see what it will do at 100 yards. What would be good, and what would be considered needs a new barrel or work. How tight a group will a good shooting Anschutz shoot off a bench to be considered a keeper?
Jason

Post by Jason »

That depends . . . what kind of shooting do you want to do and how far do you want to go?

If the rifle hasn't been abused, the trigger is smooth and you're using quality sights (iron or otherwise) it should be more than accurate for your needs.

Smallbore rifles are notoriously finicky and group size may not be a reliable guide if you're shooting Walmart ammo. . . .

Jason

Post by Guest »

Remember that the ammo will play a big part in the accuracy you can expect. Unless you have a number of brands/lots to test, your bench rest results may not tell you much if you see large groups. If your groups are small (here you need to consider what you consider "small" to be) you can put your mind at ease.

Anschutz rifles hold their accuracy and value pretty well, so you may want to work with this rifle for a while as you progress up the classification ladder. Then you can upgrade the barrell or the entire rifle when you think you are ready.
Gl17oxford

Post by Gl17oxford »

I am only shooting prone scope and trying irons. Hence the position rifle. I always shoot Wolf Match target - it seems as good as I am. I've shot a 398-22 50 yard match and a 395-19 meter match this summer with scope. But not too consistently or on the same day. I just want to be sure those 9's are mine and not the rifle.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Quite frankly I don't know what you are looking for us to tell you. If the results of those two scores mentioned are to be taken into consideration you have nothing to regret or fear. As for the nine's, hey feces occurs, they aren't the guns fault----meanwhile just keep doing what you were doing and erase any doubts about the gun and enjoy our sport. "Doc"
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

As others say it is a function of ammo as well as rifle and the shooter of course. For Small Bore silhouette shooting under an inch @100 yards is considered to be good accuracy, a bit over an inch @100m is acceptable. If you can get it to shoot sub MOA with decent quality ammo you have a good shooting rifle. My 1712 is this accurate and can shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards even with cheap CCI Standard Velocity paper box.

Bo
little_doodie

Re: What denotes a used rifle as a "shooter"?

Post by little_doodie »

Gl17oxford wrote:I have just purchased a used 1611 with a three week return policy. I am satisfied with everything on the rifle, but there comes one last point. I am currently only Marksman class in small bore prone. How can I tell if the rifle "shoots" or doesn't? I plan to bench-rest it in the next couple of days and see what it will do at 100 yards. What would be good, and what would be considered needs a new barrel or work. How tight a group will a good shooting Anschutz shoot off a bench to be considered a keeper?
Most if not all stock barrels are capable of sub minute at 100 yards with the right ammo.(unless it's dammaged)
The right ammo is the key... ammo testing is needed to determine its diet.
some barrels are very fussy and some will shoot alot of different types well.
Most will buy small qtys of ammo and pick a calm day to bench the rifle at 100 yards.
I found a grade of Lapua that shot a one hole group and I bought a case of that lot.
Its never let me down.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

A shooter is a rifle that will give you a ten anytime you do your part. It should have just enough adjustments in the stock to allow you to fit the pifle to you and not require you to fit yourself to the rifle. A good set of adjustable sights are also essential as is the sling and properly fitted shooting jacket, pants and shoes, Your kneeling role must also be fitted to your kneeling position. If you plan on outdoor events , a spotting scope is also a valuble asset. Good Shooting Bill Horton