Free pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
darrell

Free pistol

Post by darrell »

I would like to know how oftern does everyone clean there pistols on standered i clean about every 1000 otherwise the gun does not cycle but with free there is no charger no moving bits to get cloged therefor it all comes down to the barrel and the compensater getting dirty,and with what does everyone clean with and how?Thanks in advance.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Darrell,
I like clean equipment. I don't want dirt to cause problems with functioning so I go to every match with a clean pistol. I also clean my pistol after every 100 or so rounds in practice and after each exposure to high humidity. I spend the most amount of time cleaning the action and all the places where powder residue can accumulate. I leave a light coating of oil in the barrel after every cleaning. I probably clean the most of everyone on here.
Ben
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Any thoughts on how to clean out the compensator. I left mine for a week in WD40 hoping to get the cemented carbon and lead out which glued the comp's stainless internal tube to the outer sleave.

Nothing much happened...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Weekend Shooter wrote:Any thoughts on how to clean out the compensator. I left mine for a week in WD40 hoping to get the cemented carbon and lead out which glued the comp's stainless internal tube to the outer sleave.

Nothing much happened...
WD40 won't do anything. I believe you need a decent solvent and a strong cleaning brush. You may also find an ultrasonic bath helps if you can get access to one.

Rob.
ruig

Post by ruig »

After each shooting... even only twenty shots done (rod & plastic scrubber & ballistol).
Once a year - disassembling & metal scrubber (ruag quickclean)
Weekend Shooter

Post by Weekend Shooter »

Hi Rob,

We dont have an ultrasonic cleaner unfortunately though I think that would be the ultimate. I once saw my car injectors cleaned in one and it was miraculous.

Would you think that Hoppes 9 might help? Any suggestions?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

An ultrasonic cleaner is great for cleaning parts, but if you clean an assembly, you will remove all of the lube from the inner workings. You need to relubricate everything, which is tough to do on a lot of assemblies.

The alternative is to dunk the whole thing in an oil bath, which invites dirt.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, and I never use it on anything too complex to relubricate properly and easily.

Post by Guest »

My answer would be it depens on the situation, and based on that so often that seems necessary and all the rest of the time focus on the most important things that produces good performance, good groupings and good scores.

I have noticed two groups of people. A bit generalized but I have seen it so often so it´s very common.

1. Shooters that practice, train and compete a lot, they are effective, focused, goal oriented and keep it simple. And understand that consistency and hard work are key elements, so they keep the good and proven stuff and routines over the years, often the same gun often proven models toz/morini, same brand of ammo often proven brands eley, rws, same old glasses, etc. And they are not obsessed with details like cleaning the gun with 5 different products every time. They are shooters not gun smiths.

2. Shooters that changes routines, guns, ammo, glasses etc, are often more competent in a lot of things like ballistics, they have the newest gun model, they buy expensive ammo though they never shot 530+ in free pistol, they clean the gun every 100 shots. And it´s not a beginners habit, these people do it during their hole life. And they are not untalented they just do a lot of things less effective, to much things like attitude, training, choices are based on what others think, what seems to be cool and new, try to take shortcuts. Often qustions like what are the key. Not how did that guy that won today train for the last two years instead they say stuff like what ammo did he use? If that guy shoot 550 with that ammo they seem to belive that if they shoot the same ammo they would climb from 480 to 535 not bloody likely to happen... I say completely wrong thinking...

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:My answer would be it depens on the situation, and based on that so often that seems necessary and all the rest of the time focus on the most important things that produces good performance, good groupings and good scores.

I have noticed two groups of people. A bit generalized but I have seen it so often so it´s very common.

1. Shooters that practice, train and compete a lot, they are effective, focused, goal oriented and keep it simple. And understand that consistency and hard work are key elements, so they keep the good and proven stuff and routines over the years, often the same gun often proven models toz/morini, same brand of ammo often proven brands eley, rws, same old glasses, etc. And they are not obsessed with details like cleaning the gun with 5 different products every time. They are shooters not gun smiths.

2. Shooters that changes routines, guns, ammo, glasses etc, are often more competent in a lot of things like ballistics, they have the newest gun model, they buy expensive ammo though they never shot 530+ in free pistol, they clean the gun every 100 shots. And it´s not a beginners habit, these people do it during their hole life. And they are not untalented they just do a lot of things less effective, to much things like attitude, training, choices are based on what others think, what seems to be cool and new, try to take shortcuts. Often qustions like what are the key. Not how did that guy that won today train for the last two years instead they say stuff like what ammo did he use? If that guy shoot 550 with that ammo they seem to belive that if they shoot the same ammo they would climb from 480 to 535 not bloody likely to happen... I say completely wrong thinking...
There is actually a group type of shooter:
3. Shooters who concentrate on THEIR shooting, not spending their time criticizing other shooters !