Converting 22 short to LR

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
6string

Converting 22 short to LR

Post by 6string »

Hello,
I have read previous posts on converting Walther OSP (22 short) to 22 LR. I'm wondering if this is possible with the Hammerli/Walther Olympia, since they were made in both short and LR configuration. I see many in 22 short in used condition begging to continue a useful life.
If the major parts are identical, such as the slide and frame, would it be possible to re-chamber the barrel, replace the recoil spring with a heavier one, and replace the magazine (perhaps with a replica from Triple K or a modified S&W 41 mag)?
Having had the chance to see examples of these early pistols, but not having had the chance to examine various samples side by side I'm hopeful this might be possible.
Thanks,
Jim
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Beware - in the 20x models in .22 short, the slides are much lighter than in the lr version, I'd doubt that they can take the beating. Besides, you'd have the problem of the ported barrel - on the OSP, you can switch the barrel without any problems, but not on the Hammerli. And I'd very much doubt that the mag can be switched just like that, especially as there are several different versions, depending on the frame variant. Looking at the current (and steadily falling) value of a 208, I'd rather get one of those and try to sell the .22 short to a a collector - depending on the version, the prices are pretty good, as long as the pistol is in original condition.

BTW, if anyone has a 20x in .22lr with integral compensator (205/207), and wants to sell, please p.M. me!
6string

Post by 6string »

Tycho,
I had forgotten about the ported barrel! I had thought that the slide might be an issue. The S&W 41 was available briefly as a 22 short but that had a light weight aluminum slide. I remembered a Hammerli/Walther Olympia in 22 short that recollection told me was all steel. I also just saw a 22 short that had one of the "arms" of the slide rewelded. I guess they must have trimmed them down pretty light!
Thanks for your help!
Jim
Jaybar

Barrel twist

Post by Jaybar »

Rechambering a 22 short barrel to shoot 22LR may just wind up ruining a perfectly good barrel. The rate of twist in most 22 short barrels is i in 20" - most LR barrels are 1 in 16". The 1 in 20 will most likely not stabilize the bullet resulting in terrible accuracy and keyholing. I Know this to be be true for High Standard barrels. Some years ago, while still young and curious, I rechambered a High Standard 106 Olympic Short barrel to .22LR. Mounted ithe barrel on a Trophy frame and proceeded to empty a carefully aimed s5 hot clip on a B-2 target. I could keep most of the shots on the paper at 50 feet but every hole in the target was a perfect profile of the bullet.
6string

Post by 6string »

Jaybar,
Thanks! I forgot about the rifling twist. I think I'll pass this idea off to the scrap heap. While the 22 short Olympia is very nice, I think its only use would be for NRA gallery. Who knows how long match grade 22 short ammo will be available anyways! I guess this sort of project is much more practical with the OSP or other more modern, modular designs.
jpreid

Walther .22 short

Post by jpreid »

Earl's repair service sells conversion kits for the GSP/OSP. They are about $1,300. I picked up an OSP .22 shot conversion kit on Auction Arms for $350. I now have a .22LR, .22 short and .32 S & W long OSP/GSP Walther pistol.
David Levene

Re: Walther .22 short

Post by David Levene »

jpreid wrote:Earl's repair service sells conversion kits for the GSP/OSP. They are about $1,300. I picked up an OSP .22 shot conversion kit on Auction Arms for $350.
Out of interest, are Walther still making the .22 short conversion. I wouldn't have thought there would be much demand (which could be why the one you bought was that price).
fcsergio

Re: Converting 22 short to LR

Post by fcsergio »

Hi guys.
I have a .22 short 6" barrel Beretta model B685 and I would like to rechamber It for .22LR.
Is It possíble?
Attachments
Untitled 10.jpg
Last edited by fcsergio on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fcsergio

Re: Converting 22 short to LR

Post by fcsergio »

Edited