How's YOUR elbow, sore?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gordonfriesen

Post by gordonfriesen »

One more thing.

The tightness of the flex muscles will be part of what determines how much force you need in the extensors to get the elbow straight.

Therefore, we need to stretch the flex muscles by holding the elbow straight out in front and pulling the hand/fingers back. This will lengthen the flex muscles and reduce their passive pull.

Best Regards,

Gordon
Chris

Post by Chris »

shooting free and air I never noticed any pain in my elbow. when I started to shoot bullseye I started to get some pain. Like Ed my elbow is about 40 ish degrees.

for me the cure was to use a brace, it is a strap with some velcro that goes around your forearm and keeps tendons and muscles in place as you are gripping the pistol and other aspects of shooting. For all training I use one and when shooting BE matches I do also.

Not having time to look at the rules I am not sure if it is allowed in the ISSF rules but NRA does allow the use.

happy shooting
RL

Post by RL »

Chris wrote:shooting free and air I never noticed any pain in my elbow. when I started to shoot bullseye I started to get some pain. Like Ed my elbow is about 40 ish degrees.

for me the cure was to use a brace, it is a strap with some velcro that goes around your forearm and keeps tendons and muscles in place as you are gripping the pistol and other aspects of shooting. For all training I use one and when shooting BE matches I do also.

Not having time to look at the rules I am not sure if it is allowed in the ISSF rules but NRA does allow the use.

happy shooting
Pretty sure that wont clear inspection. Even a watch is a big no no.
RL

Post by RL »

Chris wrote:shooting free and air I never noticed any pain in my elbow. when I started to shoot bullseye I started to get some pain. Like Ed my elbow is about 40 ish degrees.

happy shooting
Pretty sure that wont clear inspection. Even a watch is a big no no.
Chris

Post by Chris »

That is why I only wear one it while I train but not in a match in Free and Air.
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Any repetitive task will cause muscle to become sore and inflamed. The elbow pain is commonly referred as "tennis elbow", even though most people that get it don't play tennis. "tennis elbow" is basically a tendonitis.

Using the computer a lot will lead to similar problems in the wrist (carpal tunnel syndrome) and the shoulder. The only way to get rid of it is rest until the pain is gone, if you don't you will make it worst ( trust me on that). Icing is good and Naprosyn based drug such as Aleve will help with the healing as well . Once the pain is gone, exersise your arm to make it strong.

I have suffered all of those ailments for many years but found something call the wonderweight (google it) which is helping a lot and it only requires a few minutes a day. It's basically a dumbbell with a centrifuge system design within it, sort of hard to describe but it works and it's well made (made in the USA).

I am not a doctor, but I have been proactive in trying to stay in shape and overcome those problems. I have tried a lot of stuff over the years and this is what has worked for me and what I have learn over the years.
Oz

Post by Oz »

I am HAPPY to report that I discovered the source of the elbow soreness. For historical purposes, I thought I would provide the insight.

When I raise and lower my pistol, I realized that I would do so with a significantly bent elbow. As it's raised bent, I would then straighten it out with all that weight hanging off the end of my arm. Leverage being what it is, that's a LOT of strain on the elbow and a LOT of repetitive motion.

Also, after the shot, I would then raise my hand up and unlock my elbow before lowering my arm to the table, then straighten the elbow again as the pistol came near to rest. Again, a LOT more work on that elbow.

I'm consciously ensuring that I raise with a straight arm to minimize the muscle and tendon usage around the elbow. It appears that this is already helping.

Oz
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"I'm consciously ensuring that I raise with a straight arm to minimize the muscle and tendon usage around the elbow. It appears that this is already helping."

My gut feeling is that your new technique will also help your shot plan and your ability to be "on target" if you do any international sustained fire as it minimizes the steps required to actually make a shot and should make getting a good shot off in 3 seconds much easier. Isabel
MJE

Post by MJE »

somewhereinla wrote:Any repetitive task will cause muscle to become sore and inflamed. The elbow pain is commonly referred as "tennis elbow", even though most people that get it don't play tennis. "tennis elbow" is basically a tendonitis.

TO ADDRESS THESE AND OTHER ISSUES as mentioned here, please see webite: www.wonderweight.com Users have reported amazing success at reclaiming full function of arm and upper body.

Using the computer a lot will lead to similar problems in the wrist (carpal tunnel syndrome) and the shoulder. The only way to get rid of it is rest until the pain is gone, if you don't you will make it worst ( trust me on that). Icing is good and Naprosyn based drug such as Aleve will help with the healing as well . Once the pain is gone, exersise your arm to make it strong.

I have suffered all of those ailments for many years but found something call the wonderweight (google it) which is helping a lot and it only requires a few minutes a day. It's basically a dumbbell with a centrifuge system design within it, sort of hard to describe but it works and it's well made (made in the USA).

I am not a doctor, but I have been proactive in trying to stay in shape and overcome those problems. I have tried a lot of stuff over the years and this is what has worked for me and what I have learn over the years.
PLEASE SEE WEBISTE: www.wonderweight.com

Post by Guest »

Did anyone else notice that not using the pinkie in his or her grip helped alleviating the elbow pain?
WRTF

Re: How's YOUR elbow, sore?

Post by WRTF »

Oz wrote:3 months into my re-start in AP, I noticed that my elbow was always sore. I can't recall who I spoke with, but I SWEAR that I heard, "You must lock your elbow when you shoot. That'll do it."

Being new, I took that as, 'Don't lock your elbow stupid, you'll mess it up and cause pain.'.'

So, for the last 6 months, I've been shooting, with my elbow slightly bent. Scores have continued to move up, but I felt it more challenging. I've also reached a bit of a plateau.

A week ago, I realized that my elbow was STILL sore! Nothing had changed. Worried, I took 3 days off. Last night I shot only 10 shots and my elbow is still sore after 3 days off.

Elbow sore it is common price for ignorance of desire to achieve professional level of performance by using amateur’s package of knowledge, big ambitions, highly expensive guns and other toys and lack of patience.
Can it be cured? Yes it is. Do I know some one who got it and nurse back to health. Yes.
It was me! :)

A discussion with a top shooter about this had him laughing. "How do you shoot with a bent elbow?" I thought; uh, with a lot more difficulty, that's how! Isn't that how you do it? As it turns out, he locks his elbow, which allows him to lock his shoulder.

Then I started to look around and see pics of seasoned shooters and noticed that not only are elbows most likely locked, but many appear to be HYPER-extended when holding. Bowing UP!

So, what's up? Does nearly everyone on this forum have an elbow that's always a little sore when extended? Is it just me? Am I most likely setting myself up for crippling arthritis in my elbow when I'm older because of the abuse?

Oz
WRTH

Re: How's YOUR elbow, sore?

Post by WRTH »

WRTF wrote:
Oz wrote:3 months into my re-start in AP, I noticed that my elbow was always sore. I can't recall who I spoke with, but I SWEAR that I heard, "You must lock your elbow when you shoot. That'll do it."

Being new, I took that as, 'Don't lock your elbow stupid, you'll mess it up and cause pain.'.'

So, for the last 6 months, I've been shooting, with my elbow slightly bent. Scores have continued to move up, but I felt it more challenging. I've also reached a bit of a plateau.

A week ago, I realized that my elbow was STILL sore! Nothing had changed. Worried, I took 3 days off. Last night I shot only 10 shots and my elbow is still sore after 3 days off.

Elbow sore it is common price for ignorance of desire to achieve professional level of performance by using amateur’s package of knowledge, big ambitions, highly expensive guns and other toys and lack of patience.
Can it be cured? Yes it is. Do I know some one who got it and nurse back to health. Yes.

A discussion with a top shooter about this had him laughing. "How do you shoot with a bent elbow?" I thought; uh, with a lot more difficulty, that's how! Isn't that how you do it? As it turns out, he locks his elbow, which allows him to lock his shoulder.

Then I started to look around and see pics of seasoned shooters and noticed that not only are elbows most likely locked, but many appear to be HYPER-extended when holding. Bowing UP!

So, what's up? Does nearly everyone on this forum have an elbow that's always a little sore when extended? Is it just me? Am I most likely setting myself up for crippling arthritis in my elbow when I'm older because of the abuse?

Oz
P.S.
Sorry for first attempt :(
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Anonymous wrote:Did anyone else notice that not using the pinkie in his or her grip helped alleviating the elbow pain?
I hope not. I shoot better gripping with pinkie, ring, and middle fingers.
WTGH

Elbow and back sore

Post by WTGH »

I think it was missing something...
Elbow and back sore it is common price for ignorance of desire to achieve professional level of performance by using amateur’s package of knowledge, big ambitions, highly expensive guns and other toys and lack of patience
Now it is complete.
WTGH

one more thing...

Post by WTGH »

Your back and elbow pain will be in direct proportion to the effort you put forth toward your goal.

By the way, pain is the part of the process of natural selection “in the context of evolution, certain traits or alleles of a species may be subject to selection. Under selection, individuals with advantageous or "adaptive" traits tend to be more successful than their peers reproductively—meaning they contribute more offspring to the succeeding generation than others do. When these traits have a genetic basis, selection can increase the prevalence of those traits, because offspring will inherit those traits from their parents. When selection is intense and persistent, adaptive traits become universal to the population or species, which may then be said to have evolved….” Wikipedia

“As ye believe, so shall it be done unto you.”
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

I generally grip very tightly -- as tight as I can without shaking. What has helped me eliminate elbow pain is to maintain that tight grip but at the same time keep the muscles that extend my arm more relaxed. The muscles of the forearm that control grip are invoked with strength, but the tricep and shoulder muscles that extend the arm are more relaxed.

It took me a while to be able to do this (everything seems to want to tighten together so for me at least it had to be trained and still takes some degree of effort to get right), but holding this way has eliminated elbow pain. Also improved my scores.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I do not understand the need to 'lock' the elbow. That is just using muscles that are unnatural and extra muscles that you do not need to use. In my view, the only thing one needs to do is pretend one is reaching for the target. It is that way with the bow arm in archery and is the most natural position for the arm/elbow to be in.

Cheers

David
jackh

Post by jackh »

My elbow is fine. It's my shoulder that hurts. Doctor says impingement so far. Am doing physical therapy. No hardball for a while.
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

jackh wrote:My elbow is fine. It's my shoulder that hurts. Doctor says impingement so far. Am doing physical therapy. No hardball for a while.
That is intresting. What kind of physical therapy are you doing?
jackh

Post by jackh »

There are about ten standard, but precise shoulder moves prescribed using rubber stretchers . Pull in, pull out. Daughter is a PTA.