Good ways to eliminate fliers?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Senator Vitaman

Good ways to eliminate fliers?

Post by Senator Vitaman »

So today I was shooting, and I my score was ruined by a couple of fliers. I was trying to get an average of at least 8, yet one shot was a 5 and one was a 3. I ended with an average of around 7. I know what happened and have taken steps to stop it from happening again, however, I've had this problem before. Anyone have any good tips on how to prevent fliers in the future?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Tell us what happened, SV. Were you holding too long?
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Take 1 12 bull target and cut out the inner rings of the 10 record bulls (leave the sighters alone). Then for an 8 average, cut out the 6 ring and in. Anything that's not an 8 or better and you will see the outside of the shot on the edge of your cutout.

Now sight in, and shoot at each bull until you can see one of your shots. Then move to the next bull. Track how many shots you shoot until you go through either 5 or 10 bulls. Try to make it such that you shoot no more than 60-80 shots for record. Once you can do 60-80 shots in 5 bulls, cut out one less ring.

This drill makes you see all your average and better shots as vastly different to the fliers. It's also a great drill because it grows with you all the way to even cutting out the bull in air to make you see weak 10s a fliers. For an easier way to step yourself up, you can cut out half way between rings if you prefer.
Senator Vitaman

Last edited by Senator Vitaman on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senator Vitaman

Tell us what happened, SV. Were you holding too long?
No, I was resting my arm and my knee and moved it just as I fired.

Soupy44, thanks for the drill idea.